Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

manaray, tech question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-01, 11:39 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manaray, tech question.

my blitz 19x10 (rear) should be here anytime now. i am really nervous about the fittings. my friend was told his 19x9.5 couldnt be done, and it was no problem....so i am going to chance it (cross finger). anyways. since my 19x10 is about 6mm closer to the fender than my friends 19x9.5...all he has done is rolled his fender and they cleared...please take a look at the picture and tell him if i would clear with rolled fender and a little pushing? (about 6-12mm push?) and would that stress the paint too much to where itll cause it to crack later? or are most paint made pretty flexible, because i know that is not a dramatic push. and with that pushing, do you think itll flush just fine?

Last edited by Lexus_IS300; 10-10-01 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-11-01, 01:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, the pictures don't come up...I get this error from Yahoo...

You must supply a local referer to get URL '/users/d2702bd9/bc/Mods+on+my+IS300/right+view.jpg?bc5Lpx7AVCj134d7' from this server.
But let me try to answer your questions...

Paint - When they roll the fender, make sure they heat it up...most reputable shops know this trick...it makes the paint a little more pliable so that it won't crack when you roll...the point where it would crack is right at the edge (where it bends)...you don't need to do this when you pull...they just use this funky tool (it's a rod with one end curve like a hook but the hook is flat, not pointed, and there's a handle wrapped around the rod and the rod slides through the handle....hard to explain, you'll see it though...when they do it, it looks rather painful to the car but it should turn out ok...go a GOOD body shop that knows what they're doing....)

6mm isn't too much, but that also means that your fender LINING won't be usable...so all sorts of gunk will collect under your fenders....Fender mods aren't a big deal...it's not even nearly as traumatic is putting on door caps w/o waves, but it takes some skill to get it just perfect...I see a LOT of hack jobs....
Old 10-11-01, 02:54 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

"it's not even nearly as traumatic is putting on door caps w/o waves, but it takes some skill to get it just perfect...I see a LOT of hack jobs"....

What the??? Wheeeeeew, that just flew over my head.....
Also, what is "pushing"?
Old 10-11-01, 08:07 AM
JacobT

John,

If you use 265/30/19 tires at the rear. It should fit OK w/o pushing the fender. It's not a perfect fit for 10" wheel but it'll look good.
Old 10-11-01, 03:33 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TinyGS - Door caps are body panels (cladding) that goes over the lower part of your door (the bottom half of the door usually)...a lot of Japanese kits come with door caps to straighten out the door (vertically)...look at your door from the front or the back of the car, notice that the door, towards the bottom, curves inward...as most cars...well in Japanese VIP, a popular thing to do is the make then straight...gives the car a more "beefier" look...

Anyways, putting these doorcaps on w/o the bodywork turning out "wavy" takes a EXCELLENT body shop...

Pushing/Pulling - Pushing out the fender to accomodate a larger wheel/tire...some people call it pulling...

As Jacob pointed out, undersizing your tires is one way to do it...personally, I don't like undersizing tires (this is what a lot of those low rider truck guys do with those complete stupid looking wheels that stick out 10" from their fender...of course, they would do something like a 195/60 on a 10" wide wheel!) Going 265 on a 10" wide wheel isn't too horrible...it's only 2 sizes off...but you'll have noticble "slant" on the sidewall...but in most cases, I think this is better than when people put too large of a tire on their wheels (like a 285 on a 9" wide wheel)...

I guess if you want a wider lip, you can do that, but if you lower your car a lot (like I have), doing that won't help because your tire may not hit, but your RIM might...I guess you'll be our guinea pig!
Old 10-11-01, 06:47 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Hey guys, thanks for the feed back. I was going to get 19x9, but there isn't any avail, and I am sick and tired of waiting for wheels everytime. My Blitz are suppose to be in by now, but I guess they're not gonna make it in time for the meet. So I'll prob be down there with 2 scrapped wheels (not my fault either!).