Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Top Notch Forged Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 01:21 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Notch Forged Wheels...

What companies offer top notch forged wheels?

I hear Wald, Work, Zone are exemplary wheel brands that are polished throughout, compared to iForged (which some believe are just knock-off HREs), which are just on the face.

I am looking for a design like the iForged Daytonas, and I was 99.5% positive I was going to ge them, until I heard from a knowledgeable auto mechanic that these wheels are only for looks, the "precision technology" is not pervasive throughout the entire wheel. Additionally, he told me how one of his customers purchased iForged wheels only to discover loose rivets!

I am looking for something similar to the Daytona, maybe as modestly priced ($3000 for 20in), but is a wheel that will last me a solid few years (5+).

Thanks,
j
Old 07-08-06, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally if you ask me, i think hre probably still has some of the best forged wheels made here in the US.

and from japan, it will depends on the particular kind of wheels. some AC wheels are forged. some work wheels are forged. some wald wheels are forged, etc... but usually they are priced pretty high

keep in mind, all forged wheels are more expensive. and while they are stronger than cast, it mostly depends on the road conditions and what kind of impact you take. i had hre wheels, no problem at all. i am using forged wheels now, also no problem. i know people with hre and still bend by one pothole.

bottom line, there is no guarantee
Old 07-09-06, 07:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I we corresponded via email yesterday, but to answer your question its sounds as if you were improperly advised because ZONE wheels do not come standard with polished inner barrels (I think that is what you referring to). The 2pc iFORGED do have polished inners, the 3pc do not.

You can feel free to call if the email didnt fully answer your questions!
Old 07-09-06, 07:27 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
keep in mind, all forged wheels are more expensive. and while they are stronger than cast, it mostly depends on the road conditions and what kind of impact you take. i had hre wheels, no problem at all. i am using forged wheels now, also no problem. i know people with hre and still bend by one pothole.

bottom line, there is no guarantee
I agree Henry, I often advise people that while forged wheel are alot lighter and stronger than comparable cast wheels, this does not render them indestructable! Obviously if you drive into a 2ft deep crater ANY wheel will get damaged!
Old 07-09-06, 07:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I agree Henry, I often advise people that while forged wheel are alot lighter and stronger than comparable cast wheels, this does not render them indestructable! Obviously if you drive into a 2ft deep crater ANY wheel will get damaged!
lol i love that example derrick i think not only the wheels will get damaged, lol