Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: What size rims for NYC?
18 inch MRR HR2's
35.19%
19 inch MRR HR2's
64.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

NYC driver, wants rims. POLL WHAT SIZE

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 11:53 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYC driver, wants rims. POLL WHAT SIZE

hey fellow GS owners...

I'm deciding on whether to get 18"s rims or 19"s rims... I'm planning on getting the MRR HR2's (D2 Autosport has a nice deal on them right now).

I live in NYC, where potholes are simply friggin normal. I asked most of my friends and they all said to get 18s or else I'm going regret getting the 19s from bent rims, flat fixes, and replacing tires 5 times a year or something like that. So, I'm taking a poll.

18s?????? or 19s!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

dj.jt.nyc
Old 04-23-06, 11:59 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

19's fat set-up... just my 0.02
Old 04-23-06, 12:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

19's all the way. I'm in nYC and I'm running low profile.. Love the handeling and sporty looks
Old 04-23-06, 02:51 PM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends where you drive - I'm in the Bronx where the roads aren't awful, Queens is a little worse, Brooklyn sucks, Staten Island is decent and Manhattan has it's ****ty areas but Midtown is OK. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 19's if I was in Brooklyn or even Queens. Bronx, Westchester etc, the rims shouldn't have a problem. The GS is a heavy car, I have trouble keeping my 17" stock wheels in good shape. I ran 18's on my old Maxima without too much trouble with bending, but the ride quality sucked.

A new ******* cost's more than rims - get the 18's
Old 04-23-06, 02:58 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
19's all the way. I'm in nYC and I'm running low profile.. Love the handeling and sporty looks
where in NYC are you located and where do you usually drive? got a sideview of your 19s? =)
Old 04-23-06, 03:12 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

get the 19's with a fat-setup. it'll have bigger tires and sidewalls, without looking small like 18's. The ride would be even better, since you got more cushioning as well.
Old 04-23-06, 04:54 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djjt
where in NYC are you located and where do you usually drive? got a sideview of your 19s? =)
I will have full pics of my ride for all to see this week. . I live in Queens NY. I have my tires at 42 psi and have no issues over the bumpy stuff. Just avoid the pot holes if you have 30 series tires.
Old 04-23-06, 06:10 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djjt
hey fellow GS owners...

I'm deciding on whether to get 18"s rims or 19"s rims... I'm planning on getting the MRR HR2's (D2 Autosport has a nice deal on them right now).

I live in NYC, where potholes are simply friggin normal. I asked most of my friends and they all said to get 18s or else I'm going regret getting the 19s from bent rims, flat fixes, and replacing tires 5 times a year or something like that. So, I'm taking a poll.

18s?????? or 19s!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

dj.jt.nyc
Your wasting your time all trh mmr stuff is gone i think..
Old 04-23-06, 06:46 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Your wasting your time all trh mmr stuff is gone i think..
Also looking into axis Hiro's.... i just want your opinion on 18s or 19s in the city. =)
Old 04-23-06, 06:47 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Very easy 19 inch MRR HR2's
Old 04-23-06, 07:04 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

djjt, I was just in NYC with my GS. Mine is lowered using the Tein CS and I have the 19" fat setup....opting for the fat setup because of my frequent drives through Baltimore City's and Washington DC's poor roads {By the way, I was in NYC getting my Daizen bushings put on by Gazi in Queens. He did a fine job...the steering is MUCH better. But my car was damn-near undrive-able right after the install because the alignment was really bad. And I mean REALLY bad. But Gazi got me to an alignment guy the next day, and then it was fine.}

ANYWAY...

if I lived in NYC, I would certainly go with 18s, or even 17s. The roads are just horrible. I cringed driving through Manhattan & Queens because the roads are littered with potholes and dips and all kinds of crazy sh@#! Actually, if I lived in NYC, I would debate even driving at all. I don't know how you guys do it, especially on lowered suspensions and aftermarket rims.

On one stretch of the L.I.E., the roads were so bad, I actually moved to the far right, and put my hazards on and did 30 mph, as I swerved around potholes every few feet. The BQE was just as bad. God forbid if it rains..'cause then you really can't see the potholes and divets in the road.

And I am an experienced NYC driver, have done it several times over the last 15 years, but NO WAY could I have plus-sized aftermarket rims unless it was a special-occasion car. As a daily driver, I would stick with 17" rims max...MAYBE 18s.

I can assure you my 19" fat setup lowered on Tein CS was no match for NYC. The ride was absolutely horrible, let alone the fear of a bent rim seemingly every few miles on some stretches of highways. One highway dip on the L.I.E. was so deep that it caused a late-model BMW 5-series driving in front of me to scrape his rear end once it rebounded, sparks and everything. Luckily, I slammed on my brakes in time, and treated the dip like a speed bump, traveling about 20mph over it.

If I would have been the lead car, I would have certainly scraped too.

Good luck with your decision.....it's going to come down to practicality over sportiness and looks. Tough call.
Old 04-23-06, 08:48 PM
BOGOTA
Driver

Default I

I AGREE WITH MY MAN ABOVE!!!!
Old 04-24-06, 05:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

If this car is your daily driver, then go with a fat-set up. My GS is only drivven on weekdays and sunny days. My Rav4 is my daily and i use it for the ruff stuff in Manhattan and some roads in Crooklyn.
Old 04-24-06, 06:27 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

if i get 18s... you think it matters if its forged or cast?
Old 04-24-06, 06:45 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I would go with forged. But go with 19s, looks better on the GS

Quick Reply: NYC driver, wants rims. POLL WHAT SIZE