Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

TPMS with 2 and 3 pc wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 04:13 PM
zerohero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS with 2 and 3 pc wheels

If you have upgraded to two or three piece wheels, I wanted to find out how you addressed the TPMS sensor issue. Did you use the spare tire? Wheel barrow wheel? Strap the sensor inside the wheel? Drill a second valve stem hole on the backside of the wheel? Thanks for you input.
Old 04-17-06, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think most people just use the strap to tie the TPS sensor to the wheel. works for most people, but to me it's not a good way to do it. some shops will actually refuse to do it, and i have heard a few cases where it fails and damaged the sensors
Old 04-17-06, 11:55 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
i think most people just use the strap to tie the TPS sensor to the wheel. works for most people, but to me it's not a good way to do it. some shops will actually refuse to do it, and i have heard a few cases where it fails and damaged the sensors
which way do you recommend then?
Old 04-18-06, 02:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have sc430, i don't even have a spare in my trunk. the tps don't fit on my aftermarket wheels. my solution is to simply NOT use any tps and just disable the system. i rather not do it than do it wrong.

there are some wheels that will take the tps correctly by using the valve stems directly, but as far as i know, most rims out there they aren't tps friendly

just imagine if you get wheels, put on the sensors using straps, and then put on tires. roll and roll, it falls off, rolling inside. you hit something on the road and you crack that thing, now it's all debris inside and making all kind of weird sound. you have to spend money to dismount the tire to get evyerthing out, that's if they don't damage your wheel, and then you still have to replace the tps, which is money
Old 04-18-06, 06:02 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

i have sc430, i don't even have a spare in my trunk. the tps don't fit on my aftermarket wheels. my solution is to simply NOT use any tps and just disable the system. i rather not do it than do it wrong.

there are some wheels that will take the tps correctly by using the valve stems directly, but as far as i know, most rims out there they aren't tps friendly

just imagine if you get wheels, put on the sensors using straps, and then put on tires. roll and roll, it falls off, rolling inside. you hit something on the road and you crack that thing, now it's all debris inside and making all kind of weird sound. you have to spend money to dismount the tire to get evyerthing out, that's if they don't damage your wheel, and then you still have to replace the tps, which is money
Thanks for the input. I wish aftermarket rims were more TPS friendly... Can you disable the TPS in all cars? Or do you have to deal with the light on the dash?
Old 04-18-06, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by teejnut
Thanks for the input. I wish aftermarket rims were more TPS friendly... Can you disable the TPS in all cars? Or do you have to deal with the light on the dash?
nop, no light for my sc430. i pulled the plug and disabled the whole system

for 2is, there is a sequence to disable the sensors so you get no light as well
Old 04-22-06, 08:01 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I bought a set of 4 tire sensors for $84/ea and mounting hardware ($8.50/ea) from the dealer. I didn't want to remove the sensors from my stock wheels.

The sensors installed perfectly on my 2 piece iforged aero wheels. The valve stem hole was on an angled plane near the centerline of the wheel. The sensors were installed just like a stock wheel, no strap needed. I believe iforged 2 piece wheels may be TPMS friendly. All I need to do is get these sensors registered at the dealer (all data was recorded prior to mount and balance). I believe the dealer will need some numbers from the sensors.
Old 04-22-06, 12:22 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every wheel we sell for TPMS cars will take the stock sensors.
Old 04-24-06, 10:11 PM
zerohero
Driver School Candidate

Does that mean that a wheel like the Ro Ja R2-5 will fit. I was looking at the picture and it seems like this wheel uses an angled valve stem to fit thru the hole, like all Volk Racing wheels. I'm guessing that the hole for the valve stem is straight up and down versus the angled hole that the stock wheels use. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-25-06, 09:18 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Edit: Confirming Compatibility.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 04-25-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 11:08 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Ok looks like I R Wrong. Normally, we only sell TPMS compatible wheels, but we made an exception in the case of the 2 Roja wheels we list to fit the IS350. They are NOT tpms wheels. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 04-25-06, 11:15 AM
zerohero
Driver School Candidate

Would the same exception apply to the SSR GT3 and GT10 wheels?
Old 04-25-06, 11:18 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Nope those are TPMS wheels, only the Roja is not TPMS.
Old 04-25-06, 11:22 AM
zerohero
Driver School Candidate

Is the GT3 and/or GT10 available in an 18x8 and 18x9 size? And would the TPMS be able to bolt right in? Thanks for the additional info.
Old 05-04-06, 04:41 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

nop, no light for my sc430. i pulled the plug and disabled the whole system

for 2is, there is a sequence to disable the sensors so you get no light as well

This sequence, the lexus techs wouldn't or couldn't tell me (I think it's the later but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt). If anyone could, please enlighten us on how to do this so I don't have to attempt the wheelbarrow tire in the trunk junk fix. Thanks.

Quick Reply: TPMS with 2 and 3 pc wheels