Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel losing air again..please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 08:09 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel losing air again..please help!

hi guys..

im having the same problem w/ the same wheel. i got my wheel back from wheel techniques about 2-3 weeks ago. i put the wheel back on and my car sat in the garage most of the few weeks i got my wheel back. i might have driven it about 10 miles if even that. but anyway, on my way to san jose tonight, my tire pressure sensors went on again. i stopped to get some air. and began driving to sj. i had to do this twice b/c i was losing air in the tires again. what can it be? its most likely not a nail b/c i havent gotten it checked out b/c everywhere is closed. but how consequential could it be that the same wheel having the same problem after it was repaired.
the wheel was resealed and it held up air all these weeks. drove it around town and no problem. what can it be?? why does it lost air when i drive at higher speeds? im just clueless. this really really sucks! why does the wheel hold air when it sits in the garage..but when i start driving long distances it starts to lose air? can it be the tires?

where can i take it tomorrow on sunday in the bay area wo can check it out??

can anyone please help.???
Old 03-25-06, 09:35 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Lisa

Go over to a TireAmerica to have the leak checked. Check the phone book or the web for many locations. They can determine if the wheel is leaking again or if it is something new like a tire or valve stem leak.

As you drive, the air pressure builds up, the tire gets hot and the increased pressure will sometimes allow a leak to happen, that would not occur when the tires are cold and you are parked.

We talked about Wheel Tech before. The problem with leaks is they are not always simple fixes. We have had people try to fix leaks before. Some are lucky , some are not. It's no fun I know.

If it is a leak in the rim again, I would think wheel tech could give it another try. Unfortunately, they can't guarantee a leak proof fix.

Let me know if you bring it down there and I will try to catch it when it is actually at the shop this time.
Old 03-25-06, 10:57 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Hey Lisa

Go over to a TireAmerica to have the leak checked. Check the phone book or the web for many locations. They can determine if the wheel is leaking again or if it is something new like a tire or valve stem leak.

As you drive, the air pressure builds up, the tire gets hot and the increased pressure will sometimes allow a leak to happen, that would not occur when the tires are cold and you are parked.

We talked about Wheel Tech before. The problem with leaks is they are not always simple fixes. We have had people try to fix leaks before. Some are lucky , some are not. It's no fun I know.

If it is a leak in the rim again, I would think wheel tech could give it another try. Unfortunately, they can't guarantee a leak proof fix.

Let me know if you bring it down there and I will try to catch it when it is actually at the shop this time.
im gonna try it there. but i just went outside and checked the wheel just a few minutes and it seems like its fine. im going to take it there tomorrow. i sure hope they are open. do u think this was the same problem as before? do u think i got the wheel resealed for nothing? i sure hope spending $180 was uncalled for.

would they notice a leak when the wheel is dunked in water? how would they tell? im thinking now, maybe its how the guys that installed my tire pressure sensors thats in the valve. is that why its leaking maybe? if the wheel was dunked in water, would the bubbles be where the valve stem is?

i checked the yellow pages online and couldnt find tireamerica. is it american tires? or is this completely different? what street is it on in san jose? would u happen to have the phone number?

is wheel works on silver creek ok? or is tireamerica better?

thanks so much for all ur help.

lisa

Last edited by lisalisa; 03-25-06 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 12:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Go to a Costco and try inflating the tires with nitrogen (bigger molecules).
Old 03-26-06, 04:23 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by lisalisa
im gonna try it there. but i just went outside and checked the wheel just a few minutes and it seems like its fine. im going to take it there tomorrow. i sure hope they are open. do u think this was the same problem as before? do u think i got the wheel resealed for nothing? i sure hope spending $180 was uncalled for.

would they notice a leak when the wheel is dunked in water? how would they tell? im thinking now, maybe its how the guys that installed my tire pressure sensors thats in the valve. is that why its leaking maybe? if the wheel was dunked in water, would the bubbles be where the valve stem is?

i checked the yellow pages online and couldnt find tireamerica. is it american tires? or is this completely different? what street is it on in san jose? would u happen to have the phone number?

is wheel works on silver creek ok? or is tireamerica better?

thanks so much for all ur help.

lisa

Sorry, it was Tire America, but they are closed Sundays.

Wheel works, Big -O they all can trace the leak by adding soapy water. Heck you could do this at home too. Call any of them cuz I don't know who's open on Sunday. I did a google to find the closest store.

Once it has been identified whether the leak is the valve stem, wheel or tire, we can go from there and see what your options are.
Old 03-26-06, 07:03 AM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Go to a Costco and try inflating the tires with nitrogen (bigger molecules).

will this really work?
Old 03-26-06, 07:06 AM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Sorry, it was Tire America, but they are closed Sundays.

Wheel works, Big -O they all can trace the leak by adding soapy water. Heck you could do this at home too. Call any of them cuz I don't know who's open on Sunday. I did a google to find the closest store.

Once it has been identified whether the leak is the valve stem, wheel or tire, we can go from there and see what your options are.

hi glen,

if it is the valve stem, would it still bubble where the valve stem is? can it be the tire? i read that there are beads around the rim. would this give me this problem? im sorry..im just so confused.

is there a wheels works u like more than others in the sj area? some who knows what they are doing w/ JDM wheels..

thanks
lisa
Old 03-26-06, 12:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

will this really work?
It now costs me only about 12 USD at Costco for my RX and I have had at least two screws in one tire that I went with for over 3 months, and no issue. There are a whole bunch of other reasons to use nitrogen.

I tend to agree, this probably something small somewhere.
Old 03-26-06, 01:05 PM
RMMGS4

hi glen,

if it is the valve stem, would it still bubble where the valve stem is? can it be the tire? i read that there are beads around the rim. would this give me this problem? im sorry..im just so confused.

is there a wheels works u like more than others in the sj area? some who knows what they are doing w/ JDM wheels..

thanks
lisa

Well trusting people with wheels is always a concern no matter where. All I can do is be honest and let people know i am particular and say my wheels cost $XXXX each, they are special order from Japan, etc. please be careful.

I would want to watch too.

The stem will bubble if it is leaking. It can be the bead, it can be the tire, anything is possible.

Don't worry yourself with what if's. You need to have it checked to diagnose the problem, then you can figure out what your options are.

What area do you live? Need to suggest something close. You can Pm me your answer for privacy.
Old 03-26-06, 01:21 PM
RGA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems the rim & tire has been looked at several times, could it be the sensor is going bad? Lisa, you did have a unique setup/positoning of the sensors to fit into the rim, (I hate to say) it's possible it was damaged.
Old 03-26-06, 03:03 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RGA
It seems the rim & tire has been looked at several times, could it be the sensor is going bad? Lisa, you did have a unique setup/positoning of the sensors to fit into the rim, (I hate to say) it's possible it was damaged.

no no, the sensors work fine as of right now. and im soooooo verrry glad its on b/c its the only way i wouldve known the air is losing. when i pulled over to the gas station last nite. the tire was so flat. i measured it and it was les than 20psi. the last time i put air in last nite, i filled it to ab out 40psi. got to my destination and parked it since. i checked my tires this morning and its still 40psi. so i really do think im only losing air when im driving it long distances. im about to leave for wheel works right now to see whats going on. i really hope it will help. but i doubt it. w/ my luck w/ these wheels..its so much of a headache. well, i will let u guys know..im off to wheel works..

thanks.
Old 03-26-06, 10:53 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

hi guys..

ok...so i made it home...back to modesto, 1.5 hr drive and only lost 10psi tonight. when i went to the wheel works...the guys said it might have been the valve...they tightened it and sprayed some stuff on it to check to see if it would bubble. it didnt. but why the loss of the 10psi? now what do i do? they also checked the beads on the tire..nothing. so what else can it be? what should i do???

im so

any help would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-06, 12:48 AM
RGA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so it's not the following (correct me if i'm wrong):

-Valve Stem okay
-Tire Okay
-Tire Seal Around Rim okay
-Rivets on rim??

I'm reaching on this one, but Are you using the same tire presure gage everytime you measure?
Old 03-27-06, 01:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lisa sorry i didn't get online all weekend. everyone else basically covered all possibilities. if it's wheel probably definitely try to get glen to go to wheel tech with you

but yeah, check the valve stems, i think that's a good thing to check on. especially it's still mounted so bad right now?

and btw, losing 10psi is still a lot, and it's not good for your tires. if heat bult up, tires inners might separate and it will be gone (blow up)
Old 03-27-06, 06:52 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey lisa sorry I havent been around all weekend like rominl to give some advice.

Since you say you lose PSI when your driving around maybe its because when the tire gets heated up your losing air? This doesnt sound like it should happen but it might. So my advice is drive around a little while warm up your tire. Drive to the nearest apartment complex with a pool and have one of your friends/family take off the rim and dunk in the pool to see if there is any leaks I did that one time to find a hole. If that pool thing seems a little too drastic go to walmart and buy a kiddie pool and fill it up with water that works also, but not as fun as dipping it someone elses pool Like i said before it seems really strange. also you might want to invest in one of those tire pumps that plug into your ciggerette lighter. I got one of those tire pump/vacume cleaner ones from walmart for $20 it might come in handy on long trips. I usually pump my tires up to around 35 PSI

Quick Reply: Wheel losing air again..please help!