Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

having problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 06:16 PM
04whiteLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having problems

whats up guys just bought some wheels and went to put them on today. The back bolted up just fine but the front were hitting the caliper. So i went out bought 1/4in spacer and now theres no thread left to screw on the lugnuts. Oh by the way the wheels are 20x8.5 donz sopranos and the back are 20x10. can you guys give me some advice on what i sould do . thanks
Old 02-24-06, 06:53 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

You could try to shave the interior of the rims.
Old 02-24-06, 07:12 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAristo
You could try to shave the interior of the rims.
Definitely not a good idea.

All you need to do is get longer studs to accommodate the spacers and lugs.
Old 02-24-06, 07:26 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup yup, you need to get some studs.

WARNING WARNING....DO NOT buy cheap studs! You will pay 100000% more later to fix the problems the cheap studs cased.
Old 02-24-06, 07:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Or take the wheels back to the shop that advised you of the size to order and get them to get a set of front wheels that are high disk to clear your brakes.
Old 02-24-06, 09:51 PM
04whiteLS
Driver School Candidate

i bought them off the forum here and i was assured that they would fit by the manufacturer. they came off of 02 or 03 sc430. where can i get longer studs from?
Old 02-24-06, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you bought it from another member or vendor? since they have sworn on the fitment, they should buy it back coz' it obviously doesn't fit

you can get longer studs, but i very much hate the idea of spacers

sorry to know about your trouble man
Old 02-24-06, 11:33 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

what was the offset of the front if you dont' mind telling? Oh, and as others have said, the longer studs would be the best solution right now.
Old 02-25-06, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lnguyenh
what was the offset of the front if you dont' mind telling? Oh, and as others have said, the longer studs would be the best solution right now.
offset has some, but very little to do with clearance. the disk type is the most important, it has to be high disk. i wonder if the wheels are high disk already
Old 02-25-06, 04:07 PM
04whiteLS
Driver School Candidate

i bought them from a person i called donz to make sure they told me that they would i believe the offset is +37 but where can i get the studs from
Old 02-26-06, 08:37 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get yourself a grinder and start grinding the outside of the caliper if you want them to fit. You can take a few mm off the face of the caliper and still be ok.

My first set of rims were some Kaotik CEO's that supposedly fit (yeah right, the bolt pattern matched up but they were not high-disk). A 3mm spacer provided clearance, but the increased offset made the steering feel like crap. I took a grinder to the calipers till they cleared. Because the spacer was 3mm, I shaved off NO MORE than 3mm to get clearance.

My second set of wheels (AutoCouture Supremes), I bought from this jackass in CA who lied about the disk set-up, I found out after it was too late (when I got home to AZ and tried to bolt them on the car 5 months later). Once again, they weren't high disk, and even though I'd already taken off some metal from the caliper, the new rims still barely hit the calipers. I took off even more metal and all is still OK. I've put about 20K miles on the shaved calipers, no problems.

I estimate that I took off maybe 3mm of metal, maybe 4mm at the deepest part, which is the part of the caliper face closest to the hub and closest to the corners.

The CEO's were 35mm offset and the AC's are 38mm.

Obviously it is not recommened to shave the calipers but if you're dead set on those wheels and don't want to spring for new studs and would like to lower the offset, shave 'em.
Old 02-26-06, 09:30 PM
04whiteLS
Driver School Candidate

thanks im not sure if im gonna shave them though i jus talked to my cousin in california he said he got me some special lugs that go through the whole of the rim to acutally grip the stud and go in all the way. He said that they're like acorns. He had to put a set on his G35. He says there made for rims that use spacers. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 02-26-06, 09:52 PM
MY06LS430
Driver School Candidate

I had 03 SC430 before this 06 LS430, SC's Gianelli wheels did not clear the LS' calipers. I know, I tried fitting them my self, back fits fine but front didn't. I ended up getting a new set of wheels, Asanti 128s. You can find some quality studs for Toyota/Lexus online. Definitely go with longer studs, 9 full turns, is it?
Old 02-26-06, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jpcdmd
Get yourself a grinder and start grinding the outside of the caliper if you want them to fit. You can take a few mm off the face of the caliper and still be ok.

My first set of rims were some Kaotik CEO's that supposedly fit (yeah right, the bolt pattern matched up but they were not high-disk). A 3mm spacer provided clearance, but the increased offset made the steering feel like crap. I took a grinder to the calipers till they cleared. Because the spacer was 3mm, I shaved off NO MORE than 3mm to get clearance.

My second set of wheels (AutoCouture Supremes), I bought from this jackass in CA who lied about the disk set-up, I found out after it was too late (when I got home to AZ and tried to bolt them on the car 5 months later). Once again, they weren't high disk, and even though I'd already taken off some metal from the caliper, the new rims still barely hit the calipers. I took off even more metal and all is still OK. I've put about 20K miles on the shaved calipers, no problems.

I estimate that I took off maybe 3mm of metal, maybe 4mm at the deepest part, which is the part of the caliper face closest to the hub and closest to the corners.

The CEO's were 35mm offset and the AC's are 38mm.

Obviously it is not recommened to shave the calipers but if you're dead set on those wheels and don't want to spring for new studs and would like to lower the offset, shave 'em.
man you guys are brave..... not necessarily in a good way imho
Old 02-26-06, 10:07 PM
MY06LS430
Driver School Candidate

Get H&R studs (5:114.3) online and get them professionally installed.

Quick Reply: having problems