Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

New Tires for a very nice car

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 05:27 PM
counselguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires for a very nice car

First time visitor to your Forum but have read all of your previous threads. Just purchased a 2003 Black/Black SC430 and am very pleased with it. Just put on an Injen air filter and can tell a difference, particularly with the sound. Now want to change the tires. What do you suggest? I have heard the PS2s are good from Michelin -
Old 02-20-06, 07:11 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

I have just bought the PS2. They are an excellent summer only tire. I store the car in thew winter. The tread wear however is very low. Another alternative are the pilot a/s They are a great all around tire with good tread wear
Old 02-21-06, 02:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ps2 are nice, but for better mileage i have the a/s and i am loving them
Old 02-21-06, 01:05 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tires

Depends on what you are looking for. I have had Pirelli P Zero M/S, Toyo T1rs and not have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s. All the mags (Car and Drver and Consumer Reports) rate the Goodyears as number one overall for a ultra high performance tire and I agree. Even though I am a spirited driver, I find the sidewalls to be a bit too stiff @ 36psi. I really like the Toyo T1Rs but they offer no rim protection at all with the OEM GS 17" 5 spokes. The Pirellis are nice but tend to tramline (follow grooves in the road).

If I were looking for a performance A/S tire, I would be tempted to try the Toyo Proxes 4 (free 500 mile road test). I like the tread pattern.
High (kinda Ultra) performance, Toyo T1R (best balance of performance and ride quality). I only had the Toyos for 500 miles and really liked them. As other family members have scratched my rims up twice, rim protect is a must have feature for me. That was the only reason I took these tires back (under the 500 mile free road test).
Utlimate handling (Ultra High Performance) tire at a reasonable price that does everything well but is a little stiff, the Goodyears. The Toyos do have a softer sidewall than the Goodyears and I do believe the Goodyears outgrip the Toyos in every aspect. The Goodyears are phenominal in the wet, just like in the dry and have some rim protection. They are as quiet as the Pirellis. Overall, a very nice tire. I have about 3K on them.

All of my tires are/were 235-45-17.

I hope this helps. I believe someone posted the test results from the Car and Driver test.

Neil
Old 02-21-06, 05:59 PM
counselguy
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the quick responses re: tires! Sounds like I need to think more broadly than just the Michelins. Car and Driver's tire test listed the Goodyears as #1 - I want to consider those as well but the Toyo's sound promising.
Old 02-23-06, 07:09 PM
counselguy
Driver School Candidate

I am thinking seriously about the Goodyear Eagle F1gsd's after reading more reviews. I assume TireRack is the best place to buy them by price. Any one think the Eagles' aren't a good idea. The SC430 is my daily driver in Indiana. WOn't drive in snow, but will in about everthing else.
Old 02-23-06, 07:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Welcome CG!

If you end up ordering from Tire Rack, please use the method described in the link below so ClubLexus gets credit for the purchase

Thank you!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117642
Old 02-24-06, 02:54 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s

As I posted above, the Goodyears are great so far (3K miles on them). I run 36psi in them and the other tires I had. My only complaint is the sidewall is pretty stiff and that does make for a harder ride than the Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S ( which they should), the Toyo T1Rs and the OEM Bridestone RE030s. But they stick better than all of the above, are about as quiet and smooth, offer decent rim protection, and per Goodyear, should last around 30K miles driven reasonably. Bear in mind, I got these tires this winter and haven't driven them on a hot day. They stick even below 40 degrees.

Tirerack had a close out on the older sidewall tires - $130.00/tire in 235-45-17. I don't know if they are still have any.

One more thing, they look larger (taller and wider) than any of the other tires

There are a few reasons they are rated highly by Consumer Reports and Car and Driver. If any of you are attending the NELOC, you can check them out in person as I plan to be there.

If I can help any you that have additional questions, feel free to email or PM me.

Neil
Old 02-24-06, 04:48 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

stay away from the toyo t1r , i have had them since last year june and they suck, they took about 2k miles to scrub , they wear badly , they give me a very numb on center feeling they scream hard in the corners , this was one of my worst tire selections yet.. as you can see in my sig my car was built to handle and these tires degrade what i have done now the goodyears f1 gsd3 were the best i have ever had they gripped like crazy wet or dry and wore evenly too bad good year does not make a 285/30/19 or i would buy 2 sets
Old 02-24-06, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, t1r is that bad huh? man they had good reputation with the t1s, too bad if they blew the t1r
Old 02-25-06, 03:16 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default More info - opinion

A fellow member PM'd me and I thought my lengthy response might help someone looking for tires.

Thanks Neil for your information re: the Goodyears. I have the run flats know and do want to have a tire that is more forgiving. You did mention that the F1s are a bit stiff in terms of ride - are they still a lot better than the run flats? Also, what made you decide not to get the Pirellis again?
Thanks for your help.

OK. Here is the story. I had a 98 GS400 86K Green/Tan with OEM Bridgestone RE030s on OEM 17" 5 spokes. The Bridgestone's tramlined like hell. They were worn and I replaced them with the Toyo T1Rs. Drove the T1Rs and liked them for about 500 miles. Returned them under Toyo's 500 mile free test drive as they have absolutely no rim protection even though they are advertised to have a lip. Scratched rims are more expensive than scratched or bubbled tires. Got the Goodyears for a few dollars more. Put less than 100 hundred miles on them when I saw a Silver /Black GS430 and bought it on the spot. I just love the color combo. The damn Lexus GS screensaver car plus, I had originally set out to buy a Silver/Black GS400 but got a heck of a deal on the green one. Regretted buying the green one from the first day but only because of the color. I actually prefer the GS400 over the 430.

The GS430 came with aftermarket 17s with Pirelli P -Zero Nero M/S' that had about 5K on them. Really liked the tires and rims but the Pirelli's were easier to spin and tramlined - followed grooves in the road. Not bad but I imagine the tramlining will only get worse as the tire wears and after the experience with the Bridgestones, no thank you. As I also own a LX470, I never drive the GS in bad weather (snow or ice) so I have no real need for an A/S tire.

The Goodyears were brand spanking new and I wanted to keep my OEM 17s. I actually wanted to keep both sets of rims and tires but I could not find any OEM 16s cheap enough and sold the 98 GS400 with the aftermarket rims and the P Zero Neros.

Bottom line, if an A/S tire does not actually outperform an ultrahigh performance tire in the cold, and I am not going to drive the car in the snow to test either, why own an A/S tire? From the reports I read, P Zero Nero A/S' last about 30K. That's how long the Goodyears should last and how long my old Bridgestones actually did last. So, if wear is about equal, the Ultrahigh performance tires (Goodyears) grip better in the cold and wet, and should certainly grip better when it is warm, are almost as quiet and smooth, why own a A/S tire? The only benefit I realized was the Pirelli's provide a better ride on bumpy roads as the sidewalls are softer and provide a more compliant ride. I thought the Toyo's were kind of the best of both worlds – gripped well and had softer sidewalls than the Goodyears. I only had the Toyos for about 500 miles so I didn’t finish scrubbing them but I could tell they did not stick like to Goodyears. Plus, the Goodyears are higher rated in two magazine tests and by fellow Club Lexus members.

Cold weather (below 40 degrees) grip – Goodyears
Warm weather grip – so far the warmest it has been is the high 60s – Goodyears
Wet grip – Goodyears
Noise – Pirellis’ but not by much
Ride – Pirellis’ and Toyos
Wear – equal
Stability (no tramlining) – Toyos and Goodyears
Looks – Goodyears and Toyos
Rim Protection – Goodyears
Test reports and reputation – Goodyears followed by Pirellis’
Cost – Pirellis’ and Toyos but if you can find the Goodyears with the discontinued sidewall, the Goodyears would be the cheapest.

By the way, the Pirellis’ suck in the mud. I got my car stuck in wet grass that turned into mud grooves.

As for run flats, I hear they are ultra stiff and any normal tire will be much softer. The Goodyears are not the stiffest sidewall ultra high performance tire. I believe that might be the Bridgestone S03s or the Advans. I’d recommend you read the reviews on Tirerack.com and call them for an opinion on the ride vs. run flats.

In conclusion, I found only one reason to own an A/S high performance tire over an ultra high performance tire: Ride quality on bad/bumpy roads. Other than that, the Goodyears win in just about every other category.

I hope this helps.

Neil