Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

New Wheels for 03 sc430

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 04:10 PM
sfv430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels for 03 sc430

Hello. I joined this site for info on new wheels for my 03 sc430. I need to replace my tires and thought I would get new wheels at the same time. I want to keep the Dunlop runflats as I've never had a problem with them and I don't want to carry a spare. I'm looking for a clean 5 spoke design. I've seen a few wheels that I like, but want to make sure I make a good decision. There are several things I have questions about after I did a search.
Is there a way to tell which wheels are compatible with the tire pressure system & runflats?
Many who posted went with larger wheels, 19-20" instead of 18. Is this mainly for looks or is there a performance difference?
Same question for lowering, just for looks or performance?
Is there a benefit to polished or brushed over chrome, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 01-23-06, 05:11 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

hello and welcome to the forums.

I would certainly recommend a plus sized setup, the tire pressure sensors can be retrofitted to the new wheels. There is not so much any advantage of one finish over the other, its more of a personal choice, polished is a "cleaner shine" than chrome, however it requires a little more maintenence. The brushed is probably the classiest of them all (for those that dont want any "bling" but also dont want flat silver).

The lowering will net impoved better aesthetics and dynamic response as well. I will not let a client increase their wheel size by 2-3" and neglect the suspension!

If you have any further questions about wheel options, feel free to contact us.

sales@d2autosport.com

Also visit the site and have a look around

www.d2autosport.com/main.html
Old 01-23-06, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) 19 and 20s, mostly for look
2) lowering, it could be for look, but if youget good systems, it's for better performance as well
3) i would choose polish, brush, or anodize over chrome any day. chrome is better for maintenance, but it's heavier, and it also makes the metal weaker. a no-no in my book
Old 01-23-06, 08:02 PM
sfv430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I will probably go with 19's. I am hesitant to lower since I've bottomed out a few times already despite my best intentions. I like the chrome look and the benefit of low maintenance is more important to me than the weight/strength issues. There's a lot more to consider than I thought when I started thinking about this. I am looking at the Lowenhart LD5 and the Work Euroline SL among others. Any comments specific to these would be much appreciated.
Old 01-23-06, 08:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sfv430
Thanks for the replies. I will probably go with 19's. I am hesitant to lower since I've bottomed out a few times already despite my best intentions. I like the chrome look and the benefit of low maintenance is more important to me than the weight/strength issues. There's a lot more to consider than I thought when I started thinking about this. I am looking at the Lowenhart LD5 and the Work Euroline SL among others. Any comments specific to these would be much appreciated.
personlly i like the work wheels more. they make some excellent stuff

and man, you gotta be careful when you drive you are in socal? bottom out the car at stock height, you high some pretty bad dip at high speed
Old 01-24-06, 08:21 AM
sfv430
Driver School Candidate

Yes I am in So. Cal, Porter Ranch. I try to be careful, luckily no damage on any of the bottom scrapes so far. That protector that is towards the front has done its job so far.
Old 01-24-06, 08:51 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Between the LD5 and Euroline SL, I would also vote for the SL, its a much more distinctive wheel and due to the fitment spec of the SC430, you would still have a nice lip. Take a look at this M3 for reference.

Old 01-24-06, 10:44 AM
sfv430
Driver School Candidate

I took a look at your site. I also like the LS406. Other than the 6 v 5 star pattern, are there any meaningful differences between it and the euroline sl?
Old 01-24-06, 03:41 PM
sfv430
Driver School Candidate

A friend of mine who I asked for some info on this topic told me I might not be able to find compatible 19" runflat tires. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 01-24-06, 07:35 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes that's very true, but most who switch from run flats enjoy the softer ride.
Old 01-24-06, 09:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

A friend of mine who I asked for some info on this topic told me I might not be able to find compatible 19" runflat tires. Anyone know if this is true?
umm, that's basically asking if there are 19s runflats? i don't know, but seriously i wouldn't get runflats no matter what
Old 01-25-06, 06:48 AM
sfv430
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I guess I'm asking if anyone has 19" runflats. I did a quick search and couldn't find any. It's a convenience issue for me. I'd rather go stock 18" than add a spare. This is all getting way more complicated than I ever imagined when I started looking.
Old 01-25-06, 07:33 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes they have them. not cheap though
Old 01-25-06, 08:26 AM
sfv430
Driver School Candidate

Do you know the brand? I've looked at a few tire sites and none show up. I would call around but it's too early here on the west coast.
Old 01-25-06, 09:55 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I took a look at your site. I also like the LS406. Other than the 6 v 5 star pattern, are there any meaningful differences between it and the euroline sl?
Yes the SL is a part of the EUROLINE Series which is 2pc cast.

The LS series is 3pc cast.

Quick Reply: New Wheels for 03 sc430