Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Upgrade front tires only first - bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-01, 12:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Hi all. I have staggered rims/Nittos on my car (as you can see from the signature), and I'm not happy with the vibration I get between 60 and 75, even after they're warmed up. The place I had them balanced before, with centering rings, said the front right tire has a bad permanent flat spot on it and so the ride was never likely to be smooth, no matter what they did.

I can hear the 'thwap, thwap' from the front right while driving, so I suspect they're right.

But I don't just want to swap out 4 tires and spend a bundle in case it doesn't make any difference, so I thought I'd buy new fronts first, and see if they'd let my try 'em out maybe for even just a mile or two.

I'm going with Toyo T1-S instead of Nittos. And I want to go from 235/40-18s on the front to 245/40-18s (to fill the wheel well a bit better). Any reason I shouldn't do this, while leaving the existing size tires on the back? This will of course make the front diameter slightly (1%?) bigger than the back.

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-01, 04:16 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Sensei-bit, it seems to me that, if you're planning to upgrade anyway, your only loss if you do all 4 will be whatever cost/mileage you have left in the Nittos. If the Nittos are NOT the cause of the vibration, you're still going to undertake diagnosis and treatment to rid yourself of the vibration.
Certainly your tire guys can make sure the Toyos are well rounded (sorry, couldn't resist) with high performance balance.

The key here is "If you're planning to upgrade........". Now that I think about it, as long as you weren't planning any frisky maneuvering, you could also just mount the right front tire (not in the Biblical sense) and test drive. The different handling characteristics shouldn't be a problem on dry streets for just a short distance. Of course, if your tire guys would let you roll a few miles for free, doing just the right front is moot.

From a handling standpoint between the Nittos and the Toyos, I wouldn't think it would matter on dry streets under normal handling circumstances, and there's always VSC to step in if a little too much of the red mist were to creep in otherwise. But I don't know at what point VSC might interpret the difference in rotational speed due to the diameter change as rear wheel spin..........your test drive might be a rather short, jerky cruise around the block, thwarting your intentions. Can't see any other reason not to try. Hope it does resolve the "magic fingers" steering wheel.
Old 08-11-01, 05:16 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bitkahuna, how much thread do you have left on the rear tires?
The problem with only upgrading the front tires is that, if the rears are on their way out, you will have more grip in the front than in the rear. This will result in a oversteer if you drive on the limit or if you incounter bad weather. The standard traction control will only control up to a certain piont.

Hope this info helps.
Old 08-12-01, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Richie
Bitkahuna, how much thread do you have left on the rear tires?
Thanks Richie... I have lots of tread on all the tires. I've only got about 4K mi. on them!
Old 08-12-01, 10:06 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Then it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-12-01, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Richie
Then it shouldn't be a problem.
It's not the new/old that I was concerned about, it's the fact that I'm planning on plus sizing the fronts before I do the back.

Since I'm so sick and tired of doing the calculations, I'm in the process of posting a page to my web site with all the rim/tire stat combinations I know of.

Old 08-12-01, 11:53 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, my mistake.

I don't think that the 1 cm increase in width will be very noticeable unless the tire is made of a softer compound.
Old 08-12-01, 02:01 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit,

Doesn't Nitto stand behind their tires at all? Won't your tire dealer give you any compensation for a tire that is out of round?

Frankly, with only 4k miles on them, the economical thing to do is replace the one bad Nitto on the right front and move on down the road.
Old 08-12-01, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RealMarty
Doesn't Nitto stand behind their tires at all? Won't your tire dealer give you any compensation for a tire that is out of round?

Frankly, with only 4k miles on them, the economical thing to do is replace the one bad Nitto on the right front and move on down the road.
Bought the tires with the rims from a place in California, and tried to get a response when I first figured out there was a problem with the tire (many miles ago) and no response. No warranty info was sent with the tires. I guess I could try calling Nitto, but I think it will be a waste of time.

As far as getting one new tire, thanks, but I'm not big on having one tire be 4K newer than the other.