Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire/Wheel adventure

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 12:41 PM
BradmanOH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire/Wheel adventure

Actually a better title may be TPM adventure.
I ordered a set of 17" wheels with Dunlop M3 winter tires and the tire pressure sensors from Tire Rack a while ago. They finally came in about three weeks ago and they are GREAT in the snow. Unfortunately the tire pressure system came up with a "check system" alert. Tire Rack said to just take it to the Lexus dealer to get it fixed. The Lexus dealer asked me for the ID numbers for the sensors to program the system to listen to them. Needless to say Tire Rack didn't have this info so the dealer had to unmount the tires and get the ID numbers (~$200). Once that was finished, on the way home, the "check system" alert came on again. After another visit to the dealer they determined that the right rear sensor was bad but they didn't have one in stock. After a few days delay I brought the car in to get the sensor replaced. Now the alert is off and everything seems OK. Tire Rack has agreed to refund the money spent at the dealer so all is well that ends well (other than all the time). Of course the dealer found a nail in one of the tires and said they couldn't patch it. I took it to a tire store and they also said that they couldn't patch it, too close to the sidewall. So now I get to order another tire (~$150) and then reinstall it.
Wheeeeeee.. . . . . . .

Throughout this whole adventure the Lexus dealer has been great. The service and waiting area is the best I have ever had the pleasure of using.

Hopefully in about a week all will be OK with the world.

Bradman
Old 12-22-05, 12:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish for better luck in the New Year. Sorry to hear about all the hassle...
Old 12-22-05, 01:23 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, what a luck.

i've seen so many customer coming in to the shop with the car a week old and get nails on the side wall.

good luck to you
Old 12-22-05, 01:43 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I fear your situation will be repeated a bunch of times.

I got my wheels from Dealerx, put them on the car and headed to the local dealer (I knew the warning would come on).

The local dealer said we need the serial numbers.

I got a hold of Dealerx and they sent me numbers.

I went back to the local dealer, they started the process and then said one of the digits for one of the sensors is missing (need 7 digits).

Back to Dealerx and they do not have the number.

Dealerx been wiling to compensate me all along but I preferred to try to get the job done without removing the wheels from the car and the tires from the wheels.

Now my car is in another local dealer getting the seatbelt retractor replaced and they will break down the wheels one by one to find the sensor with the missing serial number digit.