Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Snow tires on fronts of FWD only??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 04:58 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow tires on fronts of FWD only??

Any problems with this?? Curious since the fronts pull and steer on FWD
Old 11-29-05, 09:15 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, its not a good idea. Here is a link good link

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=123
Old 12-02-05, 11:40 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I sure didn't see THAT one coming...!

Gee, what a surprise- an article on TireRack.com that recommends you buy four snow tires instead of two!

What next? Ya gonna recommend we buy chains for all four tires, too?
Old 12-03-05, 08:50 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not just TireRack.com. CostCo also recommends all four snow tires. Safety is at stake here. If a person cannot afford to buy all 4 tires, maybe that person should not drive a Lexus to begin with.

CostCo also sells caskets and urns for those who wish to save money on snow tires.
Old 12-03-05, 11:27 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thanks for making my point

Oh, so CostCo (which, by the way, sells more tires in a day than TireRack can in a week) ALSO recommends it? WOW! I'm shocked!

Well, CostCo better stock up on those urns, pal, since you got millions of drivers already out there (including Lexus owners) with snow tires on just the two drive wheels.

I'm not saying that 4 snow tires are not better than 2. Of course they are. And AWD is better than 2 wheel drive. Studded tires are better than non-studded ones. Chains better than no chains. Vented rotors better than solid. Synthetic better than dino. Blah blah blah. At some point you got to draw the line between what is desirable and what is necessary, and the point is millions of drivers will get through this winter just fine on only 2 snow tires (unless they are bound for the Iditarod).

If snows on all 4 were really such a critical issue, law enforcement would require it, and they don't. End of story.

And the early Lexus ES, GS, LS and SC's are now so cheap, 16 year olds are buying them as their first cars (haven't you noticed all the misspelled posts on ClubLexus lately?). So much for your theory on what demographic deserves to drive one.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-03-05 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 08:47 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with perry Find someone who DOESNT sell tires to tell you the same, and that doesn't include someone who mounts the tires and charges per each Two tires on a front wheel drive car will take care of steering/stopping/accelerating. Please tell me which one of those attributes is handled by the rear wheels on a FWD?... hmm... AND what about people who rotate tires becuase the front ones get worn out and they're moved to the back? Is that not also compromising the drivability? According to tirerack it is... make your own decision but for my FWD, it's two studded snows and then whatever is laying around the garage for the back!
Old 12-05-05, 11:29 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys.... And yes I CAN afford 4 but wondered if they were needed..

I'm old school and for years we ran nothing but snow tires in the rear, now all of a sudden its a sin..lmao

I was more concerned about front wheel drive as the need would seem to be on acceleration and turning. I do realize that rear control may be "slightly" compormised but how bad could it be..