Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

brake shopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 05:01 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake shopping

I've already searched through pages of big brake kit results and all I got were more questions.

First off, I have a 1994 GS300 with stock susp., 16" wheels (stock), and stock brakes. My front rotors are warped and my rear rotors are going to be out of spec pretty soon. I just replaced the brake pads in the rear and had the rear rotors resurfaced.

I'm about to replace all 4 rotors but then got to thinking about what mods I have planned in the future. Until I found out I need to replace my brakes, my first mods were going to be Work Euroline Dh's and JIC flt-a2 or Tein CS coilovers. I still plan on purchasing/installing those but have to take care of brakes first.

Where I'm stuck at though is what brakes I should go with. I know with my current set up, the obvious answer would be OEM, but I dont want to spend over a thousand $ and get rid of almost new brakes when it comes time to replace them with a BBK to provide adequate stopping power for the 18's/19's that will be going on the car.

So I'm stuck right now, my question is OEM, Supra TT, Rotora, Stoptech, and Brembo are all options I've been seeing on this forum. The only problem is, none of these will fit behind the stock 16" wheels besides the OEM ones, correct? What about the TT's fitting behind the 17" 2nd gen GS wheels.

I've also seen alot about "high disk" posted? Whats this?

I'm going to upgrade my wheels asap which means the brakes should be upgraded, but I dont want to waste alot of money on brakes that are only going to be temporary and I have to have, and I dont have the money to buy the wheels to fit the bigger brakes. Im really just hopin I can squeeze by with 2nd gen 17's and OEM TT rotor/calipers until I can afford my wheels and a BBK.

I'm really just drowning in all this info I'm going through and all these numbers I have to sort out and everything, Im really just giving myself a headache. If someone could get me going in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 11-20-05 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 05:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

If your not sure on a BBK kit then i would suggest brembo slotted rotors front and rear and ebc pads front and rear.... I just got those rotors from tirerack and they cost me 420 + shipping etc... and the ebc pads where 56.00 for the rear and 74.00 for the front.... Not quite a thousand but a great upgrade from stock.. I bought the front in case i want to go back to a stock set up.. But I'm putting the rears on soon to match my supra kit in the front.... IMO the brembo setup is a inexpensive way to go.. Think of it as a upgrade from the stock brakes.... I think you'll be happy... Good Luck...

Tony