Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Impact Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 08:12 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Impact Wrench

I was thinking about buying an impact wrench to put on and take off my summer/winter wheels. Can someone tell me exactly how they work? What I mean is at the tire shops they use them all the time but I thought you could not set an exact torque on an impact wrench. Do they just use the impact wrench to remove? If you use an impact to put the lugs back on do you just get it close and then use a torque wrench to get acurate torque? I hope this does not sound like a dumb question but I am confused I don't want to spend the money if I cannot really use it. I can just use a drill with a socket on it to get the lugs on real close and then use my torque wrench to get it nuts on.
Old 11-18-05, 08:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Some impact wrenches do allow torque settings, but they are mostly high end models. Inexpensive ones wont have torque settings. I would advise still using the torque wrench.
Old 11-18-05, 09:03 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although some impact wrenches have torque setting, they are wildly inaccurate. Unless you plan on switching tires before every storm, there's no need to buy impact wrench. Simply buy a good clicking-type torque wrench (I use Husky) and do it by hand.

Shops use impact wrench to save time, at the expense of car owners. Even my local Lexus over-torqued my wheels with TWICE the spec that resulted in warped rotors.

If you must get an impact wrench, note that some impact wrenches are powered by compressed air, not electricity. So choose wisely.
Old 11-18-05, 09:39 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it by hand, get a good cross tire iron, the ones with 4 different sizes, and a good torque wrench. I had a Lexus dealer over tighten my lugs one time, broke 2 of them, and since then I do all my tire rotating myself and by hand.
Old 11-18-05, 09:55 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will just keep using my torque wrench by hand. I just thought about getting an impact wrench after I was watching rides and they were in the Roush garage and they were putting on some brand new Roush wheels with an impact wrench ? Must of had some high end wrench.
Old 11-18-05, 10:02 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

If you do a lot of DIY on your car, the impact wrench would be a great addition to your toolbox!! Trust me when I say that an impact wrench is INVALUABLE when taking off old suspension pieces!!!
Old 11-18-05, 10:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i will stay away from using tq wrench on my wheels at all. never trust those stuff. i always ONLY use tq wrench
Old 11-21-05, 10:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Better to get stuff off than on

I'd like to get back to the original question, which is, can someone tell me exactly how they work?

I agree some swear by them to get off stubborn suspension nuts, but how do they work? They are not much bigger than a hand drill, so I don't see how they generate the torque necessary to get off frozen fasteners.
Old 11-22-05, 06:22 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Perry, the reason the impact wrench works so well is the constant "hammering" or "vibration" you feel when using it. The way I understand it, the impact wrench doesn't just turn steadily in one direction, but it kind of vibrates back and forth extrememly quickly. Similiar idea as a hammer drill if you've ever used one of those.
Old 11-22-05, 10:42 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will just keep using my torque wrench by hand. I just thought about getting an impact wrench after I was watching rides and they were in the Roush garage and they were putting on some brand new Roush wheels with an impact wrench ? Must of had some high end wrench.
Race car teams use impact guns/wrenches to save time. Race car wheels and rotors are not expected to last more than one racing weekend. So over-torquing, warped rotors, and stripping thread are not issues for them.

Walmart has this $22 jack stand package. If you want to change/rotate tires yourself, it's a good cheap kit to get.