Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

CAR & DRIVER Tests 11 MAX-PERFORMANCE Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 10:26 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CAR & DRIVER Tests 11 MAX-PERFORMANCE Tires!

The "QUICK & THE TREAD..."

I must say I was VERY surprised at the results, and am re-thinking my future tire purchases... My beloved Toyo's didn't fair too well.

Excellent article and real-world testing!

Tires Tested:

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental ContiSportContact 2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Goodyear Eagle F1
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
Kumho Ecsta MX
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
Toyo Proxes T1R
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252

Old 11-14-05, 10:33 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good find...thanx for sharing....very surprising results.

Pete
Old 11-14-05, 10:47 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was a bit surprised too, but be sure to read the details of the article to make sure that a given tire fared the way it did based upon characteristics that are important to you.

Also, I was disappointed that they didn't rate the tires based upon NOISE and ride quality. Noise, in particular, is IMO a VERY important factor in selecting tires for most any street vehicle that I might own. Ride quality can be just as big a deal in some cases (i.e. most Lexus) too.
Old 11-14-05, 10:47 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I'm very surprised aswell but since we dont have THAT much wet here , i dont care

PS Props to the guy who took the pic of the wet tire
Old 11-14-05, 11:13 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, when I got the magazine I was excited to read the results considering I just bought a new set of wheels and specified Toyo T1R's based on info from the CL site. The Toyo's did not get rated that well. Oh well, I look at it this way. It's like when you go to the TV store to look at TV's and they show you the good one first so that all the rest look like poop. Since I have not driven on any of the other tires, the Toyo's will be the best I have driven on. I may take their advice and try out the Goodyears once these wear out, but there will most likely be something better by then.
Old 11-14-05, 04:42 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Yea, when I got the magazine I was excited to read the results considering I just bought a new set of wheels and specified Toyo T1R's based on info from the CL site. The Toyo's did not get rated that well. Oh well, I look at it this way. It's like when you go to the TV store to look at TV's and they show you the good one first so that all the rest look like poop. Since I have not driven on any of the other tires, the Toyo's will be the best I have driven on. I may take their advice and try out the Goodyears once these wear out, but there will most likely be something better by then.

Well put.

And several of my fellow 350Z owners were very upset that this test did NOT include the BF Goodrich KD-W2 which has adressed alot of the wet traction concerns. I guess there is always bias in every comparisson. As mentioned above, I too would like to know which tire is quietest and how they stack up after a few burnouts...?
Old 11-14-05, 05:15 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

3 days late, but I guess it doesn't hurt to post again since it's a good read.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186999
Old 11-14-05, 05:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yey for Hankooks!! I'll take a 5th place ranking Considering they were so cheap. I have those on my car, and they have been wonderful to me. Awsome grip and very reliable. Even though they say its not to good in the wet, I traveled at very high speeds with them and they felt very good.
Old 11-15-05, 11:54 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First article I read when I got my Car & Driver. Found it interesting as I have been driving on the Goodyears for the last year and a half and was looking to move to something better. Since my GS has recently become a fair weather vehicle only, I'm concerned with dry grip and noise. We'll see in another 3-6 months when I'm ready to move to a new set.
Old 11-20-05, 10:58 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Decided to give the CONTINENTALS a try! They should be here and mounted by Tuesday.

ContiSportContact™ 2

Bionic Contour for precise steering and braking
BiNet tread compound provides optimum traction and handling on wet/dry surfaces
Stiff ribbed tread pattern maintains stable contact during braking and cornering
PURE PERFORMANCE FOR THE TRUE CAR ENTHUSIAST
Asymmetrical tread pattern optimizes each side of tread
Excellent handling and outstanding traction
Bionic Contour (Advanced Mold Concept - AMC) - narrow, rounded ground contact patch when driving
Deformation-Resistant Shoulder Grooves for water dispersion
Asymmetrical with solid outer shoulder for optimum handling.
Extra wide circumferential grooves for efficient water dispersion

UTQG-Rating:
Tread 280 Traction AA Temperature A
All Sizes
Old 11-24-05, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
The "QUICK & THE TREAD..."

I must say I was VERY surprised at the results, and am re-thinking my future tire purchases... My beloved Toyo's didn't fair too well.

Excellent article and real-world testing!

Tires Tested:

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental ContiSportContact 2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Goodyear Eagle F1
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
Kumho Ecsta MX
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
Toyo Proxes T1R
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252

I read the article a couple of nights ago in the CAR and DRIVER paper copy. The results that C &D got were for one specific car....the BMW 325....though, granted, it does provide a good testing platform with its well-designed chassis and steering gear. It must also be taken into account that this test measured things like traction, breakaway charicteristics, tread wear, price, and several other factors but did NOT take ride or noise level into account.......important factors for some people.
Old 11-24-05, 07:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Also, I was disappointed that they didn't rate the tires based upon NOISE and ride quality. Noise, in particular, is IMO a VERY important factor in selecting tires for most any street vehicle that I might own. Ride quality can be just as big a deal in some cases (i.e. most Lexus) too.
I subscribe to both Car&Driver and ConsumerReports.

For noise and ride quality comparison, check the November 2005 issues of ConsumerReports.

Car&Driver is more "sport"-oriented. Generally you will not find good ride quality or low noise among max performance tires. I think that's why C&D didn't factor those into the rating.

For SUV owners, straight-line stability is also important. My RX300 used to get blown left and right with Goodyear Integrity tires. After replacing them with OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687, it tracks straight even in strong gust. Unfortunately neither CR nor C&D test straight-line stability.