Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

how often should you flip your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 08:51 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how often should you flip your tires?

since some of our cars are lowered and we get inside tire wear how often should we flip the tires so that we wear out the outsides ....how many miles or months

Thanks
Old 10-31-05, 10:05 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I dont think you want the inside to wear too much before you flip, otherwise the ugly, worn down sidewall will now be visible on the outside of the vehicle. When I had my last set of Toyo T1s I flipped them at about 8k miles and you could tell they were worn a bit but it wasnt bad. It would have given me a few thousand extra miles but I bought new wheels and tires before I put another 3k miles on them. I wouldnt wait too long but I think 7k to 10k should be ok.
Old 10-31-05, 11:19 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I dont think you want the inside to wear too much before you flip, otherwise the ugly, worn down sidewall will now be visible on the outside of the vehicle. When I had my last set of Toyo T1s I flipped them at about 8k miles and you could tell they were worn a bit but it wasnt bad. It would have given me a few thousand extra miles but I bought new wheels and tires before I put another 3k miles on them. I wouldnt wait too long but I think 7k to 10k should be ok.
wow 10k thats like 6 months ..
Old 10-31-05, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to be honest, i have never flipped the tires on my wheels
Old 10-31-05, 04:41 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
to be honest, i have never flipped the tires on my wheels
is your car a daily driver Rom?
how many months/miles do you get outta your tires .....maybe cuz you keep swithching wheels and buying new tires you havent had the need to
Old 10-31-05, 04:51 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default They often wear more on the inside even if your car is not lowered...

There's a formula to follow to see if it is worth flipping, it goes like this (the numbers are rounded off to perhaps unrealistic amounts to make the math easier to follow):

Suppose your tires cost $200 each and cost $20 each to initially mount/balance, and would last 10,000 miles if your camber was zero (totally vertical and wears evenly). Also suppose that if you never flip your tires, the inside edges will wear to an unacceptable condition at 7,000 miles.

That means if you never flip, your 4 tires cost you $880 for 7,000 miles (12.5 cents per mile). If you flip at 5000 miles, it costs you $80 more for the tire shop to flip, but the tires last to 9000 miles before you think they are shot. That's $960 for 9000 miles, or 10.6 cents per mile.

Those are just ballpark numbers and of course your situation may be different, but you can usually save money by flipping, especially if:

1) Your tires are expensive
2) Your tire shop has reasonable rates for flipping
3) Your camber causes significantly more wear on one side of your tires

The real trick is knowing when in the tire's lifespan to flip. After penciling out a few scenarios (see below) , it came to me: The best time to flip is when the sum of the usable thread left on the inside edge plus the outside edge equals the total usable thread the tire had when new. If you flip it before that point, the original outside edge (which ends up being inside) will wear out before the rest of the tire. And vice versa. But if you use the summation method, both edges of the tire will wear out at the same time.

So invest in a tire thread depth gauge and stay friendly with your local tire shop!

(Disclaimer- this is from a purely economic perspective, i.e. tire-life maximization, and ignores aesthetic and performance considerations, which admittedly are very important to many CL members.)
Attached Thumbnails how often should you flip your tires?-flip001.jpg  
Old 10-31-05, 04:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LEXISM
is your car a daily driver Rom?
how many months/miles do you get outta your tires .....maybe cuz you keep swithching wheels and buying new tires you havent had the need to
about 15k a yr that's my daily driver, same with the sc430.

when the tires wear, i just change them. though to be honest, so far i have only changed tires once. other times i just sold my wheels and got new ones.
Old 10-31-05, 05:10 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
about 15k a yr that's my daily driver, same with the sc430.

when the tires wear, i just change them. though to be honest, so far i have only changed tires once. other times i just sold my wheels and got new ones.
Plus your work commute is so short.
Old 10-31-05, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
Plus your work commute is so short.
well, still it's 15k a yr those long drives back and forth to LA is something. and in LA it's bad drive everywhere