Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

I need to ask an HRE Question for 2GS's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 05:36 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I need to ask an HRE Question for 2GS's

I'm planning on getting a set of 20's HRE's - I think 847R's, Its the Split-5 pattern with the hidden bolts. Anyways - I know that HRE builds them exactly for your need - Ofcourse I do know the wheels are hub-centric but I need to know if they can build the wheels so that I won't have to use wheel spacers since I've heard that people with 20's had to use spacers. Can HRE also build the wheels to clear a future BBK upgrade? I'm planning to go with Stoptech.. Can you customize lip size on HRE's without going to wide - for instance - I want all 4 wheels to be 8.5 wide but I want the front to have a 1 1/2 inch lip and the rear to have 4 inch lip?

Any Info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Don
Old 10-15-05, 05:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I'm planning on getting a set of 20's HRE's - I think 847R's, Its the Split-5 pattern with the hidden bolts. Anyways - I know that HRE builds them exactly for your need - Ofcourse I do know the wheels are hub-centric but I need to know if they can build the wheels so that I won't have to use wheel spacers since I've heard that people with 20's had to use spacers.
You will definitely not have to use spacers with HRE made specifically for your car

Can HRE also build the wheels to clear a future BBK upgrade? I'm planning to go with Stoptech..
They sure can. I have the 14 inch StopTechs on my car with 18 inch HRE's

Can you customize lip size on HRE's without going to wide - for instance - I want all 4 wheels to be 8.5 wide
Why don't you want to go with a staggered setup? So that you can rotate the tires?

Most people that upgrade their rims especially on a rear wheel drive like your GS (same as miine), go with a staggered setup for two main reasons. Better traction (wider tire contact patch in the rear), and ofcourse the all-too-important wide look from the rear. A stock GS can go up to 10 inches wide at the back in 20's.

The traction issue is even more important because you have the TC and TT Supra rear end. I have those mods as well and traction is an issue on my 9.5 inch wide rears.

but I want the front to have a 1 1/2 inch lip and the rear to have 4 inch lip?
Assuming you go staggered setup, front you will get in 1.5, but I doubt that you will get the rear in 4 inches.
Old 10-15-05, 07:36 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"What Hameed Said" Good reply Hameed, as noted when you go the route of a custom built to order set of wheels, spacers and such become a thing of the past. Also you certainly want to go staggered, epecially with all the coin you will be releasing on 8Series HRE's.

We can provide you with a price quote if need be as well. Have a great day.
Old 10-15-05, 10:39 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HRE will build any wheel to your spec (or very close) as long as:

1. You know (or work with them to get) the specs you want
2. They will work on the car

The only reason I mention point 2 is that you want on a 8.5 rim a 4" lip. This means that they have to put a larger than usual outer lip on the wheel. How are you planning the offsets? With what you are doing, you might as well get staggered. Assuming everything works out so far, you are building 2 different looking wheels even if they are both 8.5. You won't really be able to rotate them anyway.
Old 10-15-05, 11:45 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hameed
You will definitely not have to use spacers with HRE made specifically for your car

They sure can. I have the 14 inch StopTechs on my car with 18 inch HRE's

Why don't you want to go with a staggered setup? So that you can rotate the tires?

Most people that upgrade their rims especially on a rear wheel drive like your GS (same as miine), go with a staggered setup for two main reasons. Better traction (wider tire contact patch in the rear), and ofcourse the all-too-important wide look from the rear. A stock GS can go up to 10 inches wide at the back in 20's.

The traction issue is even more important because you have the TC and TT Supra rear end. I have those mods as well and traction is an issue on my 9.5 inch wide rears.

Assuming you go staggered setup, front you will get in 1.5, but I doubt that you will get the rear in 4 inches.
Thanks Hameed- I didn't think I would get such detailed information! I really appreciate it you guys answering questions that have been lingering on my mind what to and what not..

The Fact is my 1st set of wheels were Racing Hart C5 19's Staggered setup 19x8.5 in front and 19x10 in the rear - and I didn't really like the way the car handled personally. After that I bought a set of Volk AV3's 19x8.5 all around and I really liked the feel of the car better. Now having coming down to a set of Forged 18's for Durability and Ride Quality , I stayed with 18x8.5 all around and really loving the way it drives especially since my suspension has been upgraded alittle bit. I like the staggered look but don't really like the way the car handles though traction is great having 10 inch rears. What to do?

Oh yeah, does anyone know if HRE 20's can weigh under 25 lbs cause I hate heavy wheels???

Thanks again,
Don
Old 10-15-05, 11:59 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neo
HRE will build any wheel to your spec (or very close) as long as:

1. You know (or work with them to get) the specs you want
2. They will work on the car

The only reason I mention point 2 is that you want on a 8.5 rim a 4" lip. This means that they have to put a larger than usual outer lip on the wheel. How are you planning the offsets? With what you are doing, you might as well get staggered. Assuming everything works out so far, you are building 2 different looking wheels even if they are both 8.5. You won't really be able to rotate them anyway.
Neo, since I'm not upgrading the rear brakes - I hope there should be enough space to put a bigger lip on 8.5 rears. Its nice if I can get what I want (all 8.5 front and rear) and have the look of staggered, but I'll go with 20x8.5 all around non staggered unless someone could correct me if I'm wrong - but when I had the Staggered setup with my Racing harts - I didn't have the daizen sways - and the car felt heavy in the rear, when I changed to the Volks (non-staggered) - it felt more balanced, but when I got my 18's (non-staggered) I had daizen sways put on and if you know daizens there is 3 settings in the rear - right now i have it on neutral - if anyone can tell me if that I use a staggered setup again and with the daizen setup to aggressive - my car will handle better and not feel so heavy in the rear and unbalanced?? If changing the settings on the daizens with a staggered setup can fix that unbalanced and heavy handling feel in the rear - then I'm all for it.. I mean looks are nice but I prefer it to perform..

Thanks again,
Don

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 10-15-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-15-05, 12:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh yeah, does anyone know if HRE 20's can weigh under 25 lbs cause I hate heavy wheels???

Thanks again,
Don
I think they come very close to 25lbs.

The HRE's are some of the lightest 20's available. When I switched over from my 19x10", 285/30-19 set up to my 20x11, 295/25-20 set up I was TOTALLY amazed at how much faster the car accelerated at any speed.

It's like I added 15+ HP.

I can still lay down a 20 foot patch on the asphalt with two 11" wide streaks. I just need to launch at a higher RPM than before .
Old 10-15-05, 01:30 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While HRE certainly makes light 20" rims, my 540R's weigh a good 10-15 lbs more [including tire weight] than my 18" volks. RMMGS4 feels like he gained 15 HP, I feel like I lost 15 HP. That's the price of looking good. But I can still lay down dual 20 foot patches at will without power braking on launch.

Bottom line, a light set of 18's will always weigh less than a light set of 20's. If you are willing to take a slight performance hit for looks HRE is certainly a nice way to go.

Old 10-15-05, 02:00 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
While HRE certainly makes light 20" rims, my 540R's weigh a good 10-15 lbs more [including tire weight] than my 18" volks. RMMGS4 feels like he gained 15 HP, I feel like I lost 15 HP. That's the price of looking good. But I can still lay down dual 20 foot patches at will without power braking on launch.

Bottom line, a light set of 18's will always weigh less than a light set of 20's. If you are willing to take a slight performance hit for looks HRE is certainly a nice way to go.

Yeah that's a good point.

My 19"s were average weight for 3 piece, so keeping things relative , yes the smaller the wheel the lighter, but for most people I think going to 20" HRE from "an average brand in 19", the lightness of the HRE's might make up for the size increase to the point where you will probably not feel too much power loss and in my case an improvement.

At the same time, there were very few 18"s that were as light as yours. That was the main reason for you getting those 18's in the beginning, but alas you fell to the peer pressure of the Nor Cal Dub Club.
Old 10-15-05, 04:08 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if your going with 847r...I would recommend...20 x 8.5 fronts and 20 x 11 rear.....maybe 31 offset for front...and 47 offset for rear (note: this is a super aggressive setup but you wrote 4 inches lip....I believe you can get 3.5 on this setup)....i just want to warn you, that major fender modding is prolly necessary...

- definitely go with staggered
- I dont know if you can do a 4 inch lip...your gonna need some super aggressive offsets..
- yeah HRE builds wheels to clear BBK....if your for sure your going to get stoptech...you can customize it so you just clear the caliper
- with HRE...you wont be needing spacers if the setup is right...

and man 847r huh? what a baller!
Old 10-15-05, 06:29 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aloha03gs
if your going with 847r...I would recommend...20 x 8.5 fronts and 20 x 11 rear.....maybe 31 offset for front...and 47 offset for rear (note: this is a super aggressive setup but you wrote 4 inches lip....I believe you can get 3.5 on this setup)....i just want to warn you, that major fender modding is prolly necessary...

- definitely go with staggered
- I dont know if you can do a 4 inch lip...your gonna need some super aggressive offsets..
- yeah HRE builds wheels to clear BBK....if your for sure your going to get stoptech...you can customize it so you just clear the caliper
- with HRE...you wont be needing spacers if the setup is right...

and man 847r huh? what a baller!
Yeah, I was never a fan of the chrome or 20's because performance robbing effects is why I always had 18's and 19's, but Hopefully a set of Polished HRE 20's would be the best of both worlds. I don't think I want to go more than 10 inches in the rear cause I'm not cutting my fenders.

You know I was looking on HRE's website and i noticed that the 945R's look just like the Zuaber Gettins which are discontinue.. 945R maybe hotter than 847R.. choices - choices - when ya gonna spend $7-8K for a set of wheels you better be sure!
Old 10-16-05, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

well, some other people have chimed in but i will give out more facts (i hope they still hold)

- 840R series are heavier than the 540R series coz' of the their design. i believe they are 27lb compare to 26lb for the 540R
- you canNOT get 4" lip in the back. the 840R series already allow you to hav more lip, however having 3.5" lip in the back is already the MAX you can have, and that's with super low offset, meaning you have to shave your fender all the way, AND you will need to shave off the hub hat a bit.
- getting stagger setup imho won't really affect how the car drive. personally i think getting 8.5 in the back is way too narrow
- getting 11 in the back is actually not really a good idea if this is your daily drive, coz' you WILL have to use 295/25/20 or 305/25/20 tires, both of them are rubber band and you take your own risks. that's why i had to go with 10.5 myself and get 285/30/20 instead
- with the 840R series, they can clear any bbk in the front easily as long as you tell them. and you will still get a good 2 to 2 1/2" lip in the front
- with HRE wheels, you can either tell them the exact offset and design you want and they will make it, or you can tell them what car you have, what bbk you have, and what you want, and they will spec it for you.
- on ALL HRE wheels, at the back of the wheel face you will see a "serial" number, which could be easily decoded (at least i can) to tell the size, lip size, and offset

i hope this help, these are stuff i learned from "authority"
Old 10-16-05, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah, I was never a fan of the chrome or 20's because performance robbing effects is why I always had 18's and 19's, but Hopefully a set of Polished HRE 20's would be the best of both worlds. I don't think I want to go more than 10 inches in the rear cause I'm not cutting my fenders.

You know I was looking on HRE's website and i noticed that the 945R's look just like the Zuaber Gettins which are discontinue.. 945R maybe hotter than 847R.. choices - choices - when ya gonna spend $7-8K for a set of wheels you better be sure!
in that case i suggest 8.5/9 in the front and 10/10.5 in the back. you can get away with minimal or no fender mods. i can spec 8.5 and 10 easy
Old 10-18-05, 11:56 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
well, some other people have chimed in but i will give out more facts (i hope they still hold)

- 840R series are heavier than the 540R series coz' of the their design. i believe they are 27lb compare to 26lb for the 540R

Thats not good news for me when I'm planning on spending mucho dinerio on an elite wheel - I'm looking for my wheels to weigh 25 lbs max on 20's. The lightest set of 19 inch wheels I've had is the Volk AV3's which were around 25lbs. My Speedline 18's are around 23 lbs. IF 26 lbs on the 540R is the best I can get I might as well stick with SSR's or Oz Racing which is much lighter and cheaper too. I heard that Bluelex's Zauber Gettins 20's weigh 24 lbs. Now Thats what I'm talking about!

I want some super nice 20's but I still want to keep my car performance as highest as possible with the lightest & strongest wheels. What do you think?

Thanks,
Don
Old 10-19-05, 12:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, i can tell you for sure hre has some of the lightest 20s out there, and especially a lot of the weights are at the center part, which is important. the same 26lb wheels if most of the weights are on the outside, good luck

i had 19s av3 before, and then the 20 540r. honest i did NOT feel any slow down. probably indicating that the wheels are almost the same weight. my new stm are quite a bit heavier, and i can totally feel from how the car drive

i am not surprised if there are other wheels out there that are lighter than hre. i am not too familiar with ssr or oz wheels, they have 20s forged?

and to be honest, i would be very surprised if the gettins 20x10 weight 24lb. i do't know about it for sure. it's cast wheels if i am correct, and i would be very surprsied if that cash wheels (and his are chrome too, even heavier) are lighter than forged.

just my thoughts in general. i am sure you guys know i don't shadow hre

and to be completely honest, if you want performance, lightest, and strongest, just get one piece forged, that's always the way to go.... get the te37, super light weight, unbeatable. by all means i don't think hre is completely performance oriented, especially the 540R and the 840R series. to me they are a very nice balance in between style and performance.

if you want performance hre? get the competition series. they have mesh type. i think they are like 22lb or 23lb? i forgot

Quick Reply: I need to ask an HRE Question for 2GS's