Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Goodyear F1 or Toyo T1-R or Pilot AS or ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am very much with neo myself
Old 10-01-05, 05:58 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K so i think I have narrowed it down to the T1-R's and Pilot A/S.

I will be only doing summer driving and will hardly take it out in the rain unless I get caught in it. So my primary concern is the look of the tire on the vehicle and the noise level with the 19x9 and 19x10

Which of the two has the lowest noise levels?
Old 10-01-05, 09:08 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by camillian
O.K so i think I have narrowed it down to the T1-R's and Pilot A/S.

I will be only doing summer driving and will hardly take it out in the rain unless I get caught in it. So my primary concern is the look of the tire on the vehicle and the noise level with the 19x9 and 19x10

Which of the two has the lowest noise levels?
How many kilometers can you expect to get on both sets? I know the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S have a 400 treadwear. I never had a problem with noise when I owned the A/S. No experence with the T1-R's however.
Old 10-01-05, 02:26 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
How many kilometers can you expect to get on both sets? I know the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S have a 400 treadwear. I never had a problem with noise when I owned the A/S. No experence with the T1-R's however.
I don't know the treadwear for the toyo's
Old 10-01-05, 05:09 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camillian
I don't know the treadwear for the toyo's
UTQG is 280
Old 10-01-05, 05:38 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by rheiy
UTQG is 280
I concur & actually that's not bad at all.
Old 10-02-05, 06:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

280 is not bad for high performance, and i am sure the t1r handles better than the a/s. but being how cheap i am, i want a tire that will stay longer
Old 10-11-05, 11:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
280 is not bad for high performance, and i am sure the t1r handles better than the a/s. but being how cheap i am, i want a tire that will stay longer
Hi Henry. Chiming in here because I need new tires (as you know!) and was doing research on T1R's a local shop has.

The Michelin Pilot Sport (or PS2) is an excellent tire but the problem with paying for long tread life is it may not matter that much with a staggered setup where inner/outer/uneven wear is often a problem. Surprisingly though on my Dunlop SP9000s on 19s I've not had uneven wear.

Anyway, the other issue, as you said, is $ and the Michelins may be around 40% more than Toyos and the extra tire life might not pay for itself. But if you want the best you gotta pay as you know, and the Michelins are the best tire made.

Given how little I drive though, I might as well get the Toyos.
Old 10-11-05, 12:13 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Paul,

How much is local pricing for those T1Rs? From checking online pricing, the difference is about 30% (yeah I know only a little better than 40% ). Plus, Henry was comparing between the Michelin A/S (which has a much higher tread life rating than the PS2: 400 vs 220) and the T1Rs.

The other issue is size. The T1Rs don't come in 285/30/20, which is the size for Henry's current rear setup.
Old 10-11-05, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i guess i talk to chris WAY too much, he knows all about what i was looking for already @_@

yeah paul, i was talking about the a/s. i definitely love the handling and what not for the ps2, i have driven rmmgs4's car and i know how nice those tires are. however for the price and pretty bad tread life (i have read a lot of reviews on how fat those tires go), there is just no reason for me to get those tires so i can enjoy that 5% of the time when i have to take a turn at 40mph to win over the m5

so that's why i opted for the a/s. with 400 tread wear, i can definitely sacrifice the handling. plus i have had these tires for a while now, they still handle awesome, much much better than my old pzero nero (though the nero was quieter)

i would have considered the t1s or t1r as well, they are both good tires at reasonable price. but the fact that they are not available in 285 really bumped me away i am running 10.5 on both cars now, so 275 is really too "narrow" for me
Old 10-11-05, 02:45 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Michelin PS A/S is one ***-kickin tire. Does everything well. Handles as good as a summer tire on dry, not much compromise there. Lane changes are freakin incredible due to stiff sidewalls. WIll beat the pants off of any performance tire in the wet. OK in light snow. Wear is about as good as you're ever going to get in any performance tire. Noise level not a problem, I don't notice much. (the stock Bridgestone RE030's were horrible, just as a reference).

I doubt that the Toyo Proxes outperforms it by much, if at all. Couple that with not being as good in the wet, and don't even drive your car in the snow. Wear is not as good. Why bother? Only one reason - to purely save cash. If that's your top priority, the Toyo is a good choice. Otherwise get the Michelin PS A/S (or PS2).

I'm on my second set, been running them for a few years now. Much better than any Goodyear, Dunlop, or Pirelli that I've had before. Considering that, here in Jersey st least, you put your life on the line driving back and forth to work, I consider the Michelins to be money well spent.
Old 10-11-05, 02:51 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by rominl
i guess i talk to chris WAY too much, he knows all about what i was looking for already @_@
LOL. I only know since I am having VERY similar issues.
Old 10-11-05, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Chris and Henry, are you referring to this Michelin Pilot 'Exalto' all season?

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/t....html?source=1
Old 10-11-05, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Whoa, check this out... (open the link then click on the 'COMPARE FULL LINE OF HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES AND TECHNOLOGIES' line at the bottom). Seems there's LOADS of PS models!

http://www.michelinman.com/promo/200...etail_exaltoas
Old 10-11-05, 08:57 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Chris and Henry, are you referring to this Michelin Pilot 'Exalto' all season?

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/t....html?source=1
Nope. This one:

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/t...etype=3&tire=3

Quick Reply: Goodyear F1 or Toyo T1-R or Pilot AS or ?