Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" Rims In My 06 GS430 Was a Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 07:06 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can i see pics of your car and the rims please
Old 10-26-05, 11:28 PM
Loce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never give up. Find a dealer who knows more than how to swipe your credit card. They will fit.
Old 10-27-05, 12:53 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by k_camacho1
No more than $1,300....
This thread is pretty funny. You have a $57,000 car and don't want to spend no more than $1,300. I understand everyone has a budget for modifications, but you are supposed enhance your luxurious Lexus look, not demolish with cheapo rims. I spent over $1,300 on my Michellin Pilot series tires alone, I think you should shell out some more money or start saving.
Old 10-27-05, 12:10 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not leave the stock size rim. You have auto engineers with years & years of schooling in engineering design who have said X size rim & tire is what is needed for the optimal perfomance of this car given its size & weight. Then you have a bunch of yahoo high school drop outs that say 19" or 20" (you pick the size) "LOOK" cool so everyone runs out to get them at the expense of performance and durability. pleazzzzzzzzze I'll take with the engineering team @ toyota/lexus has recommended because I opt for performance before looks, function before form. And I do understand a wider tire, ect ect performs better at times it does so only in limited condtions such as a race track, that is not indicative of what a daily driver goes through. I love the ******** that slow to 2 mph to cross a dip in the road or cross railroad tracks because they were stupid enough to lower a car to the point where it would only be of use on a race track -- again, hello HS drop out.

I drive my gs the way it was meant to be driven, like a performance luxury car and MTV Cribs inspired rims and tires dont cut it with my driving habits. If i wanted to slow down for every dip or crawl along the highway so everyone sees my pretty rims and too low a profile tire then I would not have spent $50k for a car. I would have bought a SCION and dressed it up

The day I get a car to "show" and not drive then maybe I would tinker with what are otherwise recommended spec on a car.

peace foo !
Old 10-27-05, 12:32 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Armand
Why not leave the stock size rim. You have auto engineers with years & years of schooling in engineering design who have said X size rim & tire is what is needed for the optimal perfomance of this car given its size & weight. Then you have a bunch of yahoo high school drop outs that say 19" or 20" (you pick the size) "LOOK" cool so everyone runs out to get them at the expense of performance and durability. pleazzzzzzzzze I'll take with the engineering team @ toyota/lexus has recommended because I opt for performance before looks, function before form. And I do understand a wider tire, ect ect performs better at times it does so only in limited condtions such as a race track, that is not indicative of what a daily driver goes through. I love the ******** that slow to 2 mph to cross a dip in the road or cross railroad tracks because they were stupid enough to lower a car to the point where it would only be of use on a race track -- again, hello HS drop out.

I drive my gs the way it was meant to be driven, like a performance luxury car and MTV Cribs inspired rims and tires dont cut it with my driving habits. If i wanted to slow down for every dip or crawl along the highway so everyone sees my pretty rims and too low a profile tire then I would not have spent $50k for a car. I would have bought a SCION and dressed it up

The day I get a car to "show" and not drive then maybe I would tinker with what are otherwise recommended spec on a car.

peace foo !
to each their own...but some of us like to personalize the appearance of our cars rather than just driving a stock car off the lot. If you're happy w/ that that's great for you, but to say that the engineers have optimized the car w/ the wheel size/weight thing is off base. I'm sure that given the choice the engineers would most likely opt for the bigger size wheels...but it's the people in marketing that drives what is equipped on the car, because if they go too big the consumers would whine and complain that the ride is too rough, or that they're curbing their wheels because of the low profiled tires or that it's not suitable for places that have snow or bad weather since bigger wheels and tires would mean that they're mainly for "summer" use. I'm also pretty confident in saying that the designers of these cars probably envisioned bigger tires/wheels as well...you dont see conceptual designs of these cars w/ tiny 17" wheels on 4x4 ride height. They're almost always drawn up looking sleek and fast w/ lower look and big wheels.
Old 10-27-05, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

peace foo !
i disagree. yes, the stock setup is good with certain number of things in mind: handling, traction, weight, performance, strength, daily use, comfort, cost, etc....

however, does that mean it's the best in EVERY aspect? not even close.

wider wheels will have better tractions with wider tires
larger wheels look better
larger wheels are easier to get curb rash
larger wheels are more expensive
larger wheels with lower profile tires handle better
larger wheels might have harsher rides

YOU are the one to make the call on whether something is important to you and how you want to personalize your cars. factory ones are just a guideline. and it goes the same to why some people put on exhaust (lower but nicer) or lowering the cars (stiffer ride but handles better).

and even for your needs. i am pretty much bet everything that if you get an aftermarket set of nice light weight 19s with good tires, your car will be faster, it will handle better, AND it looks better too.
Old 10-27-05, 12:53 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

peace foo !
Old 10-27-05, 01:47 PM
akim47
Driver

peace foo !
"bunch of high school yahoos"? I'm sorry, I don't see many high school yahoos at the Tokyo Auto Salon.... to each his own. I'm sorry I live in the orange county, ca ghetto, but I don't see that many high school people rollin around in lux cars with 20s... if i go up the 5 fwy, i see a lot of altimas with nasty wheels though....
Old 10-27-05, 03:55 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Come on guys. He is entitled to his opinion. No need to defend modding cars. I read it, disagreed with it, shook my head, and moved on. I don't think he is hoping for you to change his mind. I will not go as far as calling it a thread type that starts with a "T" but it certainly did get a reaction.
Old 10-27-05, 05:03 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

peace foo !
Get urself a Buick
Old 10-27-05, 05:41 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

peace foo !

Wow. I take offense to that, and I am not easily offended...
Troll alert?

I make wheels for a living, and I can assure you that I am not a high school drop out. In fact, I am an engineer... Some of us take our careers and our cars very seriously. The factory engineers aren't the end-all be-all scientific geniuses you think they are; they are constrained by beancounters and marketing people, and must make compromises when specifying wheels, tires, and suspension for cars intended for a specific target market. They must design for the lowest common denominator - people exactly like you.

In fact, if you look at currrent trends, original equipment wheels ARE getting bigger. You can get a Jaguar with factory 20" wheels. Ferraris come with 19s. Even the super-engineered Porsche cars can be had with 19s. A customer told me today that the new BMW 760i is available with factory 21" tires.

Why? Many reasons: cars are getting bigger and heavier. They need more braking power. Bigger brakes typically mean bigger wheels are necessary. Look at the new Ferrari 430 or the 360 Challenge Stradale. You could not possibly put a smaller diameter wheel on the car- the brakes won't allow it. Also, customer are driving this trend - they want bigger, more stylish wheels. Cars are getting larger, so you could argue it is a matter of scale and proportion: bigger car = bigger wheels.

If you want to "ride stock," feel free to do so. The failure of the 20" set-up on the tread starter's car was unfortunate, but could have been avoided by a competent SHOP - the wheel manufacturer wasn't really at fault, the shop simply installed wheels which were intended for a different vehicle. Not all wheel manufacturers are passionate (or even responsible), but it is unfortunate that you would label us all as buffons.

For those of us who don't like to compromise or "blend with the rest of society," we will continue to modify our cars. Live with it.

Which begs the question: if you weren't at least a little interested in cars, why cruise our forums?
Old 10-27-05, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok guys, please be civil. everyone has their opinions and you are welcome to express it, but please do so in a liberal way. just like me, i completely disagree with his opinions, and i posted in a way to express my feeling and also to prove him wrong (at least i think so).

but please don't make this into another flame war
Old 10-28-05, 12:10 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

they are constrained by beancounters and marketing people, and must make compromises when specifying wheels, tires, and suspension for cars intended for a specific target market. They must design for the lowest common denominator
This is just one of many very well stated points, that I totally agree with. The e65/e66 have a factory 21" wheel option and I belive its staggered as well! 21x9 / 21x10 I think. Also the bbk situation, the rear calipers and rotors on the Ferrari F430 with ceramic brake optionb are so large, its even tough to get aftermarket wheels back there!!

There will always be different strokes different folks, but the use of blanket insults, and generalizations, is not really appropriate. There are many guys that cruise CL and have 100% stock cars, but can appreciate the effort and creativity in a modded vehicle- even if its not their cup of tea. Conversely, we "mod-freaks" openly accept those with stock cars (as long as there is a "L" on the hood! )

Seriously, we can all just get along!
Old 10-28-05, 07:53 AM
KINGPING
Driver School Candidate

all u need to do is get BBK wheels with the right offset.. mine is 20x9 and 20x10 with no rubbing
Old 10-28-05, 08:20 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn that black number looks hot!!!

About the wheels... dude you've got a car worth that much and a car people would die for (I would heheh), seriously get wheels to suit the car. I don't think those wheels suit at all (but I'm over the whole chrome thing).

Last edited by BLK13X; 10-28-05 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 20" Rims In My 06 GS430 Was a Failure