Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Coil-overs unnecessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 08:12 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coil-overs unnecessary?

I came across this write-up on coil-overs for street use. Guys can you chime in on this? I am looking to put coil-overs on my GS, but this puts an interesting perspective on whether its needed. Thanks for any info. http://www.bira.org/coilover.html

Last edited by sockfocks; 09-09-05 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-05, 08:39 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh well, i dont do it for performance i do it for the look. VIP style! by the way i got some tein flex up for sale in the classifieds.
Old 09-09-05, 09:07 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

He's right -- the HUGE majority of coilover suspension kits are installed without proper setup. Add to that the facts that lots of the coilover kits don't offer optimal spring rates and/or valving for the application at hand, that the adjustable valving is often set arbitrarily according to some mental image that someone has of what valving would be best for the wannabe road racer in question, etc., and the end resut is a poorer performing suspension than could be had with proper setup and tune, and often a poorer performing setup than stock.

I still intend to install the Tein CS coilover setup on my LS because I need the ride height adjustability in order to get rid of the 4X4 look. But, I have access to corner scales and good alignment gear and I plan to work through all of the adjustments to get it right. I guess it's ironic that I am planning to go with coilovers on the LS, a car that I'm not really looking for handling performance from, but I stick with the stock suspension on the Supra.

Originally Posted by sockfocks
I came across this write-up on coil-overs for street use. Guys can you chime in on this? I am looking to put coil-overs on my GS, but this puts an interesting perspective on whether its needed. Thanks for any info. http://www.bira.org/coilover.html
Old 09-09-05, 08:09 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HMMM..Pretty good(and timely for me)read.Was debating the big difference between the 1k+tein CO and the under $400 L-Tuned setup.Seem to me the L-Tuned will do exactly what I want and save $600 to boot!!
Old 09-09-05, 10:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

makes me think twice about coilovers now
Old 09-10-05, 03:52 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I say coilovers all the way/....i went straight to coilovers and i have absolutely no regrets
Old 09-10-05, 08:28 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That guy is full of ****. to some extent

He can rag on coilovers all he wants but on my case results were proven to me by the way the car drove and the lowering times it got on the autox..

Not to mention the fastest autox 240sx in my area also sported adjustable coilovers. People especially those that like to hear themselves talks can overanalyze things to make a false conclusion.

As for the alignment having to be over 200 bucks, bogus totally bogus. 70 bucks will get you a damn good alignment. And as for labor, christ do these people have broken hands? Changing springs on a true adjustable coilovers well thats gotta be one of the easiest things one can do. Things like that make me think this guy is full of it nay sayer.

Last edited by Inabj2; 09-10-05 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-11-05, 12:54 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I had coilovers on my GS, and I've driven plenty of cars with either aftermarket springs/shocks or different coilover setups.

The answer is simple: if coilovers are within your budget, and you (or a reputable shop you know) have them properly installed and corner balanced, they're worth it. You'll be able to get the type of ride you want - from a soft, stock-like ride to a stiffer, performance oriented ride - at the exact height which appeals to you.

You'll need an alignment regardless of whether you opt for springs/shocks or coilovers. Getting an alignment along with corner balancing is not much more.

As far as the article goes, read it with a grain of salt. The author is talking about coilovers for his "little NIssan racecar" that he takes to the track. He's not putting bigger wheels on it and trying to get it to look right. I'm sure the only coilovers available for his car are meant for the track, and are likely stiff and unforgiving. Coilovers for Lexus vehicles run the gamut - we have a variety of coilover choices with spring rates and damping suitable for the track enthusiast to the street cruiser. So maybe it's not worth it for the author to get coilovers for the street, but that isn't necessarily the case for all other cars.
Old 09-12-05, 06:44 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice to get some feedback from the cl members....good opinons on the subject thanks