Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

18 Inch Rim Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 08:06 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 18 Inch Rim Sizes

I was wondering does anyone know if it is possible to drop 18x11(r) and 18x9.5(f) on a 97 SC400? If not, what are largest 18 inch wheels I can drop on the car?

I'm on the fence about dropping either 18s or 19s on the car - I want to keep the low pro look and am worried that 19s may be too big - I perfer performance over looks
Old 09-07-05, 08:41 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

18x11 is doable in the rear. But will require rolled fenders.

As for the difference between 18 & 19 inchers......Performance-wise, I lean towards the smaller diameter rim. Smaller rim means better acceleration. Conversely, this would also result in a theoretical lower top speed. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish as the ultimate goal.

IMO, 18" is the largest size that should go on the SC. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the huge rim thing, although quite a few members here have examples of large rims done right
Old 09-07-05, 08:52 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Cool good to know, though

I'm not certain I understand why smaller wheel size (i.e. 18") would result in a lower top end?
I'm not big fan of the huge rim thing either - IMO - it should look elegant and nice not so much in your face - just my humble opinion. 18s will still allow me a smoother ride - i think

I'm looking at engine/chip enhancements to address the HP and Torque issuu
Old 09-07-05, 09:02 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by arunp1783
I'm not certain I understand why smaller wheel size (i.e. 18") would result in a lower top end?
I'm not big fan of the huge rim thing either - IMO - it should look elegant and nice not so much in your face - just my humble opinion. 18s will still allow me a smoother ride - i think

I'm looking at engine/chip enhancements to address the HP and Torque issuu

More revolutions of the wheel at speed, resulting in higher RPM of the engine. You would hit max RPM's earlier (lower top speed). With the 1" difference between 18" & 19", the difference in top speed would be small, but the difference between say 15" & 19" would be drastic. Of course this is assuming the same sidewall heights are on both size rims.
Old 09-07-05, 09:06 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks - so

if you don't mind me asking, what enhancements have you done to your SC? Also then would it be possible to drop then 18x10r and 18x9r and would you be able to recommend any manufacturers? I perfer a deep-dish look if possible.

I'm trying to become more active in this forum once more - it's been a while

thanks for all of your help
Old 09-07-05, 09:46 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

if you don't mind me asking, what enhancements have you done to your SC? Also then would it be possible to drop then 18x10r and 18x9r and would you be able to recommend any manufacturers? I perfer a deep-dish look if possible.

I'm trying to become more active in this forum once more - it's been a while

thanks for all of your help

Not many mods on my end. Opened the headlights and cleaned the insides. Painted headlight bezels gunmetal. Replaced stock subwoofer with JL Audio IB4 10". Replaced 4" rear deck lid speakers with 61/2" MB Quart speakers. Performed full tune-up, including caps, rotors, plugs, wires, all fluids & filters. Changed over to Optima Red Top battery and replaced negative battery cable with longer one. Other than that.....all stock! Currently removing painted on pin striping but that's not really a mod. In the wings are BFI and Magnaflow mufflers with new manifold back piping.
I'd like to do rims, but until the car is tip-top mechanically they'll wait.

You can definately go down to 18x9 & 18x10. You'll find the fitment easier! As for manufacturers, there are sooooo many I would recommend searching the gallery for pictures, check tire rack if you're looking on the less expensive side. Check with D-2 Autosport (member & sponsor on CL) if you're looking for high end wheels. Set your budget, decide on a look, then hunt them down.

The deep-dish look you want is controlled by the wheel's offset. The more aggressive the offset, the deeper the dish, but fender modification comes into play.

This thread should give you the majority of the info you need.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=wheel+fitment
Old 09-07-05, 10:18 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Default you're a wealth of knowledge

I hate to be a pest and keep bothering you but you know quite a bit about our cars. I've had mine 5 years now and am only just starting to get brave enough to tinker with it.

Would you know where I could find - a "mechanics manual" I'd like to perform some of the servicing myself. One because it's a bit more cost effective and two so I can learn more about the car.
Old 09-07-05, 10:37 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I hate to be a pest and keep bothering you but you know quite a bit about our cars. I've had mine 5 years now and am only just starting to get brave enough to tinker with it.

Would you know where I could find - a "mechanics manual" I'd like to perform some of the servicing myself. One because it's a bit more cost effective and two so I can learn more about the car.

Definately not a pest!!!!
There are service manuals you can buy but most of them are fairly expensive. What I did when I first joined this site is searched my butt off, finding a bunck of DIY's and write-ups on how to do certain repairs/mods/etc. I printed everything out and put in a 3 ring binder. Now I just refer right to my binder when doing a repair! I see that you also own a SC400 (as I do), there is also a great site that has a ton of write-ups for the 1UZ-FE engine. www.lexls.com

Even though everything there is for the LS model, we share the same drivetrain! The memebers there have put up very detailed and informative write-ups that pretty much cover everything you would want to tackle at home.

It is BY FAR more cost effective to do work yourself. Going rates in my area for a tune-up were from $1200-$1800!!!!!!!!!!

Cost me roughly $400 in parts! Plus, I did more than the tune-up would have!!

Feel free to PM me if you're doing some repair and have a question. If I know the answer I'll be sure to help you out!!
Old 09-07-05, 10:41 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for tune up cost - yeah right in that 1200 - 1400 price tag

it's a great car and timeless design -

we're looking at the new awd gs as a next car - just wish they'd make the GS 430 AWD
Old 09-07-05, 10:51 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

as for tune up cost - yeah right in that 1200 - 1400 price tag

it's a great car and timeless design -

we're looking at the new awd gs as a next car - just wish they'd make the GS 430 AWD
It's a BEAUTIFUL car!!! I saw GS4Fun's GS300awd at a BBQ this summer and it is gorgeous!