Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

dont try this with your rims kids....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 10:14 AM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dont try this with your rims kids....

More proof that iForged, HRE, <insert crappy american wheel company here> suck!
http://www.felge.de/inhalt/schmidt2.wmv
http://www.felge.de/inhalt/schmidt3.wmv
http://www.felge.de/inhalt/schmidt4.wmv
Old 06-30-05, 10:31 AM
lspower
Pole Position

ps the schmidt4.wmv is the best one
Old 06-30-05, 10:31 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure what your point is, none of the videos prove or say anything about HRE, Iforged or so called crappy American wheels. In addition while the videos are great for sales and Marketing, they really dont prove anything. The forces that a 4000 pound car traveling at 70mph exerts on its wheels wehn it hits a curb or pothole are several orders of magnitude higher that those that were demonstrated in these videos.

Physics my friend.
Old 06-30-05, 10:41 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting....looks like strong lips....but how sure are the wheels used in the demo testing are the same being tested on that machine?
Old 06-30-05, 10:41 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

WOW.... what wheel was that??? that thing is strong as heck...

The point is what though??? Does the starter of the thread imply that
Iforge and hre cannot withstand the same abuse??
Old 06-30-05, 11:26 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much $$? Certainly I could design a wheel that would eliminate curb rash and/or avoid 'dings,' but at what cost? My aerospace metallurgical background ( 27 years worth ) would make this relatively simple, but the cost would be very high, I'm sure.
Old 06-30-05, 11:28 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Crappy American wheels? Nice going, ace.
Just what the world needs- more bogus propaganda and conjecture.
Do you intentionaly try to look like an uneducated buffoon, or does this come naturally for you?

That looks like a Simmons wheel - whatever it is, the rim sections are spun aluminum
JUST LIKE THE MODULAR RIM SECTIONS MADE HERE IN THE USA.

Hitting rims with .120" thickness pipe doesn't prove anything- the rim sections are .250" thick, and the bead at the end is formed into a J-shape which is very resistant to this type of impact ; I would expect the thin mild steel to dent first!

And dragging the wheels along a curb? Any wheel could withstand the type of abuse they are showing (the video quality is lousy, but the edge of the rim is definitely abraded- you can expect this). The last video is actually sort of funny- they intentionally curb the wheel, then they spin it on a balancer to illustrate that it is still round. The radial runout of a wheel won't change with a glancing curb-shot. What are they trying to prove?

Let the tire pressure down to 8 psi, get the car to 60 mph, and drive it straight up a curb.
Their wheel will bend, I promise.

This thread is worthless. The mods should close it.
Old 06-30-05, 12:14 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting clips tho!
Enjoyed watching it
Old 06-30-05, 01:16 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

In the last video after they were done rashing up the lip and the guy polished it, it still looked like there was quite a bit of curb rash on the outer part of the lip. Either way it is crappy quality video. Hi quality pictures would be better.
Old 06-30-05, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i won't be able to see the videos until i get home tonight, but judging from other people (including bob) has said so far, i don't think this thread is anywhere meaningful.

and so the wheel doesn't even say hre or iforged anywhere? what makes you think you can associate those wheels with these test then? i would still say that even if i have jdm wheels or whatever.
Old 06-30-05, 01:37 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i won't be able to see the videos until i get home tonight, but judging from other people (including bob) has said so far, i don't think this thread is anywhere meaningful.

and so the wheel doesn't even say hre or iforged anywhere? what makes you think you can associate those wheels with these test then? i would still say that even if i have jdm wheels or whatever.
It seems as though the makers of the video are the manufacturers of the wheels. It seems like a propaganda video

I think the thread starter was just trying to bash crappy HRE and iForged
Old 06-30-05, 02:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
It seems as though the makers of the video are the manufacturers of the wheels. It seems like a propaganda video

I think the thread starter was just trying to bash crappy HRE and iForged
yeah, i am going to reserve further comments until i watch the videos tonight.
Old 06-30-05, 03:59 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
In the last video after they were done rashing up the lip and the guy polished it, it still looked like there was quite a bit of curb rash on the outer part of the lip. Either way it is crappy quality video. Hi quality pictures would be better.
You can see rash marks as they move up along the wheel.They probably avoided high res pics to give the appearance that there's minimal rash on the rim. All in all its a propaganda video and as for lspower 's statement :
"More proof that iForged, HRE, <insert crappy american wheel company here> suck!"
only shows his Ignorance
Old 06-30-05, 04:44 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

banging a rim with a 2x4 and dropping it on a brick shows nothing those are easy to break when hit at the right angle on the edge. i could of easily borken them with my bare fist without a scratch, but then again i am a taekwondo master

none the less...stop bashing on the guy. he was just trying to be clever with his intro i guess
Old 06-30-05, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

pretty nice videos i have to say, but i agree with others said too. yes they seem strong, but what happens when you haev 4000lb on 4 of them going 40mph (not even 60) and hit a curb or so that has a sharp angle. the sheer amount of force asserted to that "point" of wheel is normous. i don't think throwing that wheel up in the air and landing it on the floor will have close to that kind of force (not enough speed, and no 4000lb of inertia behind it)

and yeah, did you try that with hre/iforged? if not, please leave them out of it

Quick Reply: dont try this with your rims kids....