Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HRE/Kinesis issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 01:31 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default HRE/Kinesis issue?

Found this story on another forum.....

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hreadid=51367/

Pete

HRE banned...

check this out... http://forums.audiworld.com/lrqc/msgs/41036.phtml

in both series due to too many failures.

NINE, yes NINE failures in one race weekend Vipers.

Apparently the PCA is on their way to banning HRE's as well.

The racers have always called them "Fools Fashion" and i thought that was a little rough until I started seeing them fail at track events and how easily they bend and corrode.

Then, after Leslie had problems with hers corroding and I spoke with one of the owners, I realized quickly they were WAY out of reality as to strength and design.

Wasn't really surprised that they were banned (was at the meeting), but was surprised at ALL the problems reported.

Unreal for such an expensive wheel.

Apparently tolerances are sooooo poor that the tires often rotate on the wheels themselves as the rims are often slightly too small.

Last edited by PHML; 06-09-05 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 01:34 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I wonder if there is some truth behind this story?
Old 06-09-05, 01:39 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not good advertisement.
Old 06-09-05, 01:55 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. Sounds bad for hre
Old 06-09-05, 02:48 PM
LexFather

Gonna go do some snooping, this could be focked up...
Old 06-09-05, 04:14 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Ouch! Not a good endorsement for HRE if this is true. Let us know what you find out in your snooping Mike.
Old 06-09-05, 04:29 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i knew it AME for life

just playing ..hmm maybe BOB knew this and got out at the right time

can you say Zone wheels
Old 06-09-05, 05:25 PM
LexFather

I can't find anything on this besides those sites....maybe some HRE haters? I dunno. Can't totally confirm.
Old 06-09-05, 07:02 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52446

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...919#post322919

Other forums seem to agree that most HRE's (actually, most wheels in general) are not meant for the track.

According to damon@tirerack (who's a mod at 6 speed):

We've been following this issue as well and are anxious to see what the issue is. There's a lot of speculation going around, but no official statements.

From the article:
"Apparently tolerances are sooooo poor that the tires often rotate on the wheels themselves as the rims are often slightly too small."

That's a pretty big accusation to make.
I'd like to see the proof of such a reputable company.

One thing to keep in mind is that in this industry prices do NOT always designate quality. People all too often think that because a wheel is $750 each it's automatically track worthy. Not the case. Certain construction techniques have to be followed. If I had a modded Viper that is that heavy and putting that much power down I would NOT be running a 5 spoke wheel. Something like the BBS above is a much better, stronger idea. More spokes = more strength.
Old 06-09-05, 07:08 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Viper Racing League site doesn't say anything about banning HRE's. Who knows if this is true at all?

Sounds like BS to me. No pics of broken wheels or official anouncements of anykind. This is spreading like wildfire on the car forums. It needs to be squashed quick.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 06-09-05 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 07:26 PM
LexFather

Good finds dude. I won't condem them yet but in all honesty, I didn't think of them as a racing wheel, but as a high quality aftermarekt wheel. I know O.Z is used in F-1 and you have Rays, SSR etc used in in JTGC. BBS

Last edited by LexFather; 06-09-05 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 07:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

hmmm...Has HRE pulled a Bomex?
Old 06-09-05, 08:26 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

i think some I forged people spreading some rumors about hre
Old 06-09-05, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Damn Kinesis too? They are very high quality as . The owner of this wheel is posting on 6-speed and Rennlist, he told his whole story.

The HRE haters are coming out in full force, and some hate is worth it, some is undeserved.well.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-09-05 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 08:40 PM
LexFather

http://www.rennlist.com/ has it has well

That was my wheel and my car. I'm glad you posted the picture. I have it on my camera phone and have no idea how to download it here.

I was shocked. I am counting my blessings that it happened on the slowest part of Spring Mtn. I was wearing a HANS device and had no problems. To their credit, Peter Stacy of Kenesis and John Brown of Wheel Enchancement flew out on Monday to review the tire and my damaged car. Luckily, no one had to visit my wife to explain why I died or was crippled.

We do not know 100% why it failed. We can guess that it might be related to the process of powdercoating the heating of the wheel when the powder coat was stripped off due to a previous problem with the Kenesis powder coat. I will post more information once we know facts.

BTW, this wheel WAS inspected by one of the best Porsche mechanics in the world and myself prior to the event. There were no obvious signs of impending failure. The wheels had only been used for four D/E's previously. No time trials, no races etc. I'm lucky it failed on the track and not in some canyon.

I had two friends have recent bolt issues with their Kenesis wheels, so I was on the lookout. The bolts were fine in this model, so the evidence leads to the powder coating process. Peter Stacy indicated to me he has never had this kind of failure on his wheels, even under racing conditions.

To LV Dell, if I had "gone off" under driver error I would understand your feelings, but this was a serious wheel failure that resulted to a lot of damage to my car. We were going to try adding a different wheel, but the other wheel had large cracks in it and seemed ready to fail as well. This would of delayed the event further. Did you want to drive it in that condition? So, the call was made for a flat bed -the only solution. The car was flat bedding as soon as possible using my tow hook, and one hour of the delay was lunch-no track time lost. You lost maybe one run group only. I hope you never have to experience any kind of problem yourself.

I guess you'd have been pissed if you were at the track in Fontana last week and missed track time? This was a serious wheel failure and could have been fatal under different circumstances. Get your priorites straight and know all the facts before you accuse the track organizers of slow reaction. They did all they could under the circumstances to get the track open quickly and so did I.

Quick Reply: HRE/Kinesis issue?