Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Will the HREs from my GS fit on my LS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 06:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Will the HREs from my GS fit on my LS?

I didn't see anything in the wheels forum, but will search the LS forum more for fittment info.

I have a CL event this weekend at Tail of the Dragon (www.lexusdragon.com) and my GS started flashing some codes this weekend and is getting checked out today. In the event it isn't able to be driven for the meet, I'll have to take the LS on its maiden voyage to the Dragon.

It also is in the shop right now getting the Lsportline kit, exhaust and springs/shocks on it... but will be done tomorrow. Also getting new front brake pads and a flush with synthetic fluid.

I haven't, however, had a chance to select new wheels and tires for it to match the new setup and the old 16" OEM tires are getting a little rough for this kind of drive.

My question - will my HREs from my GS fit on the LS as a stopgap? I know bolt pattern will work, but not sure about offset and brake clearance.

HREs are 19x8.5 up front 35 offset with high disk to clear my Brembos. In the rear are 19x10 42 offset.

Both the GS400 and LS400 are 1998 models
Old 05-24-05, 08:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Only other choice may be to do two day shipping from an 'in stock' wheel place such as Tire Rack.

I don't find a lot of 18" options (what I want to preserve some ride quality) that I really like there

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...&autoYear=1998

Best of the bunch IMO

SSR Profs SP1

BBS CH

Maybe the Oz Superleggara but my GF would veto that one, she doesn't like it
Old 05-24-05, 08:36 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Dave,

I think I can help a bit on this one.
I've actually made this switch before- I put Manaray's old 20" HRE 543s on a CL member's LS.
The offsets were essentially the same as yours- within about 2mm in the front if I recall correctly.

19x8.5 +35 is actually a nice, aggressive fit for the LS- it worked great. Also, the HRE 840R series have a ton of brake caliper clearance- no worries there. The bolt circle and hub bore are the same for the LS and GS- I don't forsee any issues up front.

I found that manaray's old 543 rear offset to be quite aggressive, but still within the fender. If I remember correctly, his rear wheels were actually 20x9.5, but had basically the same frontspacing (sat the same relative to the fender) as your 19x10 +42. The LS we did this swap on was lowered with Eibach springs, and the 275/30-20 Toyos did rub the rear fender arch over bumps- the rubbing was exaserbated by the extra weight of the four stock 16" wheels and tires in the trunk and back seat....

As a precautionary measure, I would remove the rear fender arch trim (four phillips head screws) which will gain an additional 1/8" tire clearance. Also, since you are running 19" wheels with 275/30-19, you are basically at the 'correct' overall tire diameter for the LS, which is helpful.

Your 19x10s will actially halp matters a bit by spreading the tire a bit more inboard versus a 275 on a 9.5" wheel. Also, due to the increased diameter, the larger 20" wheels and tires would be closer to the fender, creating rubbing issues sonner in the suspension travel than the 275/30-19s.

I think it will be close in the rear, but my gut tells me this will work great on the LS.
Of course, we will want photos!

Regards,
Bob
Old 05-24-05, 08:55 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dave, Socal pretty much wrapped it all up for you, and I concur. Our Celsior has a really low rear offset, but we used a 10" on a 255 tire, and did not have to do any fender mods.

As socal said, in the front you should be okay, and in the rear perhaps slight mods along with a a little negative camber will help. FYI, I find the LS400 really has alot of neg camber in the rear when driving (when its lowered), sort of like the MB's from the late 80's. This may also help you.
Old 05-24-05, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am with bob. i forgot where i read this before, but the ls400 fitment is a bit less aggressive. the front should be fine (looks like 35 huh?) and the back you will probably have to shave the fenders to clear. to be honest, just play safe, safe the whole fender tab and you should be fine
Old 05-24-05, 09:03 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Also, I would recommend a 19" with NO Lip, for aesthetic reasons. The smaller wheels, with lips on such a large car may appear to disappear, especially those step lip versions.

I think this wheel in 19" would be perfecto

Old 05-24-05, 09:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks guys. I'm a little reluctant to put the HREs on the LS because I know it will set expectations for me how good it will look with really nice wheels.... and I only want to put 'moderately nice' wheels on it since its my beater car.

Guess I'll have to go do a bit of reading on removing fender arch trim, etc. And to Sears to get a jack low enough to get under my GS.
Old 05-24-05, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Thanks guys. I'm a little reluctant to put the HREs on the LS because I know it will set expectations for me how good it will look with really nice wheels.... and I only want to put 'moderately nice' wheels on it since its my beater car.

Guess I'll have to go do a bit of reading on removing fender arch trim, etc. And to Sears to get a jack low enough to get under my GS.
HAHAHHAHA, come on dave, just give in to your internal "fire" and put the hre on the LS now

and derrick, i am confused. do you mean to say that the celsior takes in higher offset for the rear?
Old 05-24-05, 09:50 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rominl
HAHAHHAHA, come on dave, just give in to your internal "fire" and put the hre on the LS now

and derrick, i am confused. do you mean to say that the celsior takes in higher offset for the rear?
no, I was just saying that I noticed that when lowered it has negative camber dialed in while driving, regardless of settings. sorry to confuse
Old 05-24-05, 10:10 AM
DXC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only other choice may be to do two day shipping from an 'in stock' wheel place such as............

Dave,

For in stock wheels, try these NEW ARRIVALS

Hereborrani CL105
Attached Thumbnails Will the HREs from my GS fit on my LS?-hereborrani_cl105_cm.jpg  
Old 05-24-05, 10:12 AM
DXC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DXC
Dave,

For in stock wheels, try these NEW ARRIVALS

Hereborrani CL105

Hereborrani CL210
Attached Thumbnails Will the HREs from my GS fit on my LS?-hereborrani_cl210_chrome.jpg  
Old 05-24-05, 10:12 AM
DXC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DXC
Hereborrani CL210

Hereborrani Inspire (limited edition) - new release in 2005
Attached Thumbnails Will the HREs from my GS fit on my LS?-222_114_181920_400.jpg  
Old 05-24-05, 10:13 AM
DXC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DXC
Hereborrani Inspire (limited edition) - new release in 2005

Spider in Hyper Black
Attached Thumbnails Will the HREs from my GS fit on my LS?-190_112_114_120_1819_400_r.jpg  
Old 05-24-05, 10:18 AM
DXC
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't see anything in the wheels forum, but will search the LS forum more for fittment info...........

Both the GS400 and LS400 are 1998 models

On special, 18" is only $200 ea while our 1st container supplies last. For Hereborrani line, add $25 ea.

19" starts from $250 ONLY
Old 05-24-05, 10:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions dxc!

Looked with interest at the post when you rolled those out.

CL105 Looks OK, but a little to aggressive for the LS
CL210 I'm on the borderline of liking, but not quite there. I really like the leftmost wheel in your sig, kind of AC-like, but this one just doesn't have exactly what makes me like the others.
Inspire - Not my style, very glad this one is a limited edition (IMO, sorry but it reminds me of reindeer antlers )
Spiders - Hmmm, maybe . They come in 18 inch and have one that will clear the 4 pot brakes of the LS in stock? Got pics of 'em on a car (not a photoshop)? Have it in stock in finishes other than hyper black?

I don't want staggered on the LS, since this is a daily driver I want to rotate.

Quick Reply: Will the HREs from my GS fit on my LS?