Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What do you regret about your wheel puchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 02:33 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you regret about your wheel puchase

I was wondering what everyone would do different if they had to purchase a new set of wheels. For me its easy, I just finished polishing my first set of aftermarket wheels, they are Iforged High polish.

Me I would not buy highpolish again. spending more than half a day polishing wheels is not my idea of a good time and then on top of that it still doesnt look as good as it did when new. I'm gonna buy adrill mounted buffing set, hopefully that will mek my life easier.

Maybe if I had a clear coat or something it would be better, but otherwise, its painted, chromed anything but naked highpolished.

Second no Rivets next time, its too hard to polish around those little things. Also brake dust is a killer and you cant use brake dust cleaner on high polish.
Old 05-08-05, 06:22 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Hey morris I think we have the same wheels and I ordered chrome for the reason that I am too lazy to have polished. I hate the lips ot being chrome lol.
The only thing I would change is I would have gotten clearence for a bbk. I am kicking myself now because of that.
Old 05-08-05, 06:35 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thats funny I got the BBK clearance and now I doubt if I will ever buy a kit. I'm not really seeing the value anymore. I might not get the BBK if I had to do it again.
Old 05-08-05, 07:16 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Next time, I will order a different set of rims that I know will be in stock. 2-3 month wait for rims really test my patience, especially since I have none. So far it's been about 6 weeks.
Old 05-08-05, 07:19 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Thomas C
Next time, I will order a different set of rims that I know will be in stock. 2-3 month wait for rims really test my patience, especially since I have none. So far it's been about 6 weeks.
What brand?
Old 05-08-05, 07:50 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have not bought the first set that I purchased. They were 1 pc and very heavy. I still think they are very good looking but wish I would have gone to iForged or HRE to begin with. It is definately hard waiting for wheels. I have only been waiting 5 weeks for my iForged but it feels like forever. I dont think there is anything I will regret about them because I spent months deciding which ones to get and what features to get. I did get the BBK clearance and because of that the BBK will be my next mod, so maybe that wasnt such a good idea
Old 05-08-05, 08:21 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i would of got 20" instead of 19", 9"Fx10.5R vs. 8.5Fx10R with normal disk vs. high disk in the front.
Old 05-09-05, 09:13 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by morris
What brand?
Volks, they are usually in stock except that 19's aren't in that much of a demand.
Old 05-09-05, 10:45 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Thanks for making this thread. I've always wanted to know if anyone preferred hi-polish over chrome. I wanted to get hi-polish for my next set of wheels but after seeing the difficulty of maintaining the original luster I may stray away.
Old 05-09-05, 11:13 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I think we need some people with the clear coat to chime in so that you can see if they still have similar issues to those of us that are non clearcoated.
Old 05-09-05, 11:24 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I don't regret much, really. If i had to purchase my wheels all over again...I'd probably go with much more aggressive offsets. Not that I have conservative offsets now, just wanna go a bit more aggressive and run a stretched tire set-up.
Old 05-09-05, 11:31 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I know what you mean, I have 10" wheels in the rear with a decent lip but it seems Iforged is a little conservative with offsets. I would say there is 2-4" more room between the inner tire wall and the coilover. All of that extra space could of been used up by a more agressive offsett and created a wider lip and maybe even run 305's instead of my 285"s
Old 05-09-05, 11:40 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the one thing I would have done was have gotten super low front disk instead of normal, that way I could have used a 2-5mm bigger spacer to fit my BBK and had a 2-5mm bigger front lip..
Old 05-09-05, 01:06 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't change a thing. I got a set of (IS300) L-Tuned rims for $600 brand new and wrapped them in Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Easy on the eyes and easy to clean
Old 05-09-05, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for me, i have regrets too

i wished i would have gotten brushed aluminum. but considering that theya re like 200 bucks per wheel i think it's ok for me to pass on them. other than that i am pretty happy with my hre (except when i saw my credit card bill)

Quick Reply: What do you regret about your wheel puchase