Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Inexpensive tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 11:56 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive tire

I'm very disapponted. Just after 25k miles my tires completely worn. I do not want to spend much $$ on leased car. I tried Costco, but cheapest tires them recommend $119 each. Anything under $80 can you recommend. I have one more year of lease.
Old 04-30-05, 12:01 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well. i'm using goodyears 50 bucks from wal mart. it's o.k.. depending, you're either driving or drag racing.. anyways.. i heard Falkcos are pretty good for 50bucks each..
Old 04-30-05, 06:13 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Moving this to the Tires forum
Old 04-30-05, 10:24 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Dema
I'm very disapponted. Just after 25k miles my tires completely worn. I do not want to spend much $$ on leased car. I tried Costco, but cheapest tires them recommend $119 each. Anything under $80 can you recommend. I have one more year of lease.
Please give me the exact tire size you need.......I think I can help you here.
Old 04-30-05, 11:09 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Please give me the exact tire size you need.......I think I can help you here.
Toyo Proxes TPT
Kumho Ecsta HP4
Yokohama Avid H4/V4
Old 05-01-05, 09:39 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by nthach
Toyo Proxes TPT
Kumho Ecsta HP4
Yokohama Avid H4/V4
I would take the Kumho's off the list completely & not even consider them.

The Toyo is good & so are the Yoko's.

The Falken Ziez ZE-512's should be well under $100 each & are good for 60,000 miles......a fantastic value & awesome wet weather (especially heavy rain), very low tire noise & a quality Japanese tire to boot!

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

Only other tire I would consider based on what your looking for is the new Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread. They will last 80,000 miles & are slightly more expensive than the Falkens.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Those are by far the 2 BEST available for your ES. Let us know what you decide. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away.
Old 05-01-05, 10:16 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are in so cali hb area, i can refer u to a buddy of mine who works at firestone, give you killer deals
Old 05-02-05, 07:30 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by b1gredek
if you are in so cali hb area, i can refer u to a buddy of mine who works at firestone, give you killer deals
I hope those deals are for tires other than Bridgestone's & Firestones.
Old 05-02-05, 09:04 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

actually if you visit your nearest firestone, they carry most brands and get get any brand you wish, i didnt know this either.............. what is wrong with bridestone tires anyways,,,,,, the so3 is one of the best tires out there
Old 05-02-05, 10:19 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

actually if you visit your nearest firestone, they carry most brands and get get any brand you wish, i didnt know this either.............. what is wrong with bridestone tires anyways,,,,,, the so3 is one of the best tires out there
After my experences with certain Bridgestone & Firestone tires that come as OE on new cars......I will never buy a replacement set of the same brand & another model on principal alone! When a tire (talking brand new here) can't handle basic traction in VERY light rain conditions, never mind snow or heavy rain.......the tire maker top priorities are not safety & quality of a priduct. Not to mention some Bridgestones & Firestones are not only pathetic for basic traction needs......they are about 25-50% more in price than tires with ten time better traction & handling! (Let's not forget about the Ford Explorer / Firestone tire embarrassment several years ago......I bet Bridgestone is hoping people will forget about that. There is always a better tire to choose from than Bridgestone/Firestone in whichever category one is looking for.
Old 05-02-05, 02:19 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

for the most part the original tires that come on new cars suck no matter what brand they are, unless you are buying a sports car or something, they always put on the cheapest tire that a certain brand makes, for example they will put on the cheapest that goodyear or firestone offers... this could be the main reason why you were unhappy with it..... as far as i know about the firestone ordeal, ford decided to be cheap and instead of changing the layout of their cars, they decided to lower the recommended tire pressure on their explorer so it will handle better, with this in mind some tires were not able to handle it. this is what i read awhile back not coming from anybody i know from firestone.......... well i was just rrying to help a fellow member anyways..................... oh well..........
Old 05-03-05, 04:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

for the most part the original tires that come on new cars suck no matter what brand they are, unless you are buying a sports car or something, they always put on the cheapest tire that a certain brand makes, for example they will put on the cheapest that goodyear or firestone offers... this could be the main reason why you were unhappy with it..... as far as i know about the firestone ordeal, ford decided to be cheap and instead of changing the layout of their cars, they decided to lower the recommended tire pressure on their explorer so it will handle better, with this in mind some tires were not able to handle it. this is what i read awhile back not coming from anybody i know from firestone.......... well i was just rrying to help a fellow member anyways..................... oh well..........
Both Ford & Bridgestone were blaming each other for this fiasco.......honestly, I've lost respect for both companies after that. For the most part you are correct that OE tires installed at the factory are garbage but when a company cheaps out to install an inferior tire & sacrifice safety, I have a serious problem with that. At least Lexus put a decent tire on my 01 ES when it was built (Michelin MXV4's).

I don't expect an OE tire to be the best on the market in it's respected category but when they can't even handle ligh rain (both my wife's current car & my former Nissan) considering the recent history of a certain tire maker.......they lost me as a customer for life I will go to great lengths to make them loose hundreds if not thousands of future customers & sales.

It might not make that much difference on the grand scale of things considering how large Bridgestone is, but I'm only one person & word of mouth spreads quick.
Old 05-03-05, 09:52 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

that is good that you stand by how you feel, respect that, if i had a bad experiece with a company i would do the same........................
Old 05-04-05, 10:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

that is good that you stand by how you feel, respect that, if i had a bad experiece with a company i would do the same........................
Agreed....as the saying goes: Fool me once, shame on you , fool me twice, shame on me.

I actually feel the same way about Sony when it comes to electronics after a couple of products failed way before there time (sony is suppose to be one of the best, if not THE best in electronics). I only buy JVC stuff from now on & after 15 years........haven't had any complaints.