Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HRE or Volk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-01, 08:51 AM
gswatkins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Tired of looking at all the possibilities, want to spend some money and looking for advice from people with experience. 18’s 8.5 front 10 rear. Appreciate the help!

Lance
Old 03-01-01, 09:09 AM
JacobT

Default That's right...

Those are the correct sizes for GS. Also use 245/40/18 front and 285/35/18 rear. Those tire sizes match your rim perfectly.
Old 03-01-01, 09:32 AM
gswatkins
Driver School Candidate

the advice I need is on the quality of the rims, vibration etc. big diff in cost is it worth it? and so on....
thanks!
Old 03-01-01, 10:54 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up volk, my choice

choosing wheels for your lex is a love affair-either you love them, or cannot stand them.

both hre and volk are mafd. by very good co.. how you like your rims are a very personal matter. if you have the $$$ and like the look of hres, go for them.

any of the volk wheels is just as well built as the hres, if not better. personally, i like the volks more than the hres. the reason being that they are lighter, more attractive(imho), and the prices are more justified. but, if you cannot find anything in the volk wheels you desire, it does not matter how cheap they are.

as far as vibration prob., make sure you go to a shop that has the latest balance machine and try to buy lifetime balance.

volk wheels are still high line products, one of the best in the world. they are the com. that make oem rims for many tuners, such as trd japan.

$ for $, volk would be my choice.
Old 03-01-01, 10:58 AM
RacingAristo

I couldn't agree more with gs4will. I was in the market of wheels not long time ago. I had been struggled between HRE, RH, and Volk. After I saw HRE on Lexus, they aren't as good as I thought they would. For the best value, you couldn't go wrong with Volk. As gs4will mentioned, they are light and the quality is up to the bar. The rest is just personal taste whether you like their style or not. Good luck on your journey for the perfect rims.
Old 03-01-01, 11:06 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Default OZ Opera's

I personally love the OZ Opera's that I have on my car. They are 18-8.5 fronts running 245-40 and 18-10 rears running 295-35 SO2 Pole Positions.

If your suspension is stock stay with the 285-35 diameter and you should have no problem.

Now comes the tricky part. Make sure you find a qualified shop that has the latest wheel balancers and alignment equipment from Hunter. You will drive your car knowing it is really balanced correctly. The GS's are notoriously stubborn when it comes to balancing so you have to be careful where you go......
Old 03-01-01, 11:10 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Yeah VolkRacing is really great wheels. I haven't seen any HRE wheels in person, but I can assure that at least VolkRacing's quality and looks won't be any less.

Both Enkei and VolkRacing are great manufacturers. They both make wheels for O.E. uses, and VolkRacing makes lightweight racing/street wheels for TRD, MazdaSpeed, STi, and Nismo. Don't forget to mention their own line of RAYS wheels, which includes the famous TE37 and all F-Zero series.

It's all up to your personal opinion on the looks. If money isn't the matter, look at all the wheels before lookin at the brands.

Other companies you should take a look at:

Enkei, Works, Advan/AVS, OZ.
Old 03-01-01, 11:20 AM
hlee1169
Rookie

Just my 2 cents...recently I've placed an order for a set of HRE 547's, 18X8.5 front and 18X10 rear. I like Volk AV3 too, but since someone in the Bay Area already has a set, I am getting the HRE's. Their polish finish looks really good.
Old 03-01-01, 03:38 PM
gs4power
Driver

Default GO VOLK!

Hi Lance,

So you didn't like the SSR's at all? Well my friend, Volk and HRE are truly great wheels. I particularly recommend the 18" TE37s , I think this wheel from the Volk line has no competition quality wise (except for Volk's own TE37 MAG). The entire structure of this wheel is made of true forged aluminum (not semi-solid-forging as SSR), giving them superior strength were really matters- specially the inner lip (where the highest stresses occur). This forging method requires extremely advanced tools and machinery. In contrast, HRE's are forged only at the center (they simply forge a big cylinder and then machine the center off) with spun rim halves, although these are interchangeable given their multi-piece construction. Also, you won't find a lighter aluminum wheel in the market , HRE's are about 7 pounds heavier. Compared to the stock 17", and with 265 rears, I saved 30 lbs. in unsprung weight (due also to the lighter Toyo tires), and this truly pays dividends in ride quality, handling and acceleration. Perhaps the TE37's are not as flashy as other polished multipiece wheels but I like their simple, form-follows-fuction design better.
Old 03-01-01, 03:54 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Default HRE 547 weight

gs4power, how heavy is your Volk TE37? I was told that the HRE 547 18X8.5 is about 21 lbs, and the 18X10 rear is about 24 lbs. If the TE37 is 7 lbs lighter, it would be about 14 lbs, which seems very remarkable if it's true.
Old 03-01-01, 04:10 PM
gs4power
Driver

Default Wheel weights

Wheel weights, source: HRE , Macking Industries and my own scale

18" x 8.5 HRE 445 23 lb (The three piece 5xx series might have a similar weight)

18" x 8.5 TE37 16 lb

18" x 9.5 TE37 17.5 lb

Stock GS400 17" 23 lb
Old 03-01-01, 04:30 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

GS4POWER:

Can you PLEASE post some pics of your car with those TE37s? I'm DYING to find some pics of them on a GS. What color are they? I was considering the bronze TE37s but gave up because I haven't seen them on a 98+ GS yet (I've seen it on a 96 GS300.)
Old 03-01-01, 05:59 PM
gs4power
Driver

Default Pic

Sure pal!

These are silver w/centercaps... I LOVE THEM I'm thinking on blue brake calipers... behind the Volk decals on the wheel spokes they would look sweet!

Globe, I have 3 more pics... If you're interested email me at alias_mickey@hotmail.com...don't know how to post more than one pic in here.
Attached Thumbnails HRE or Volk?-gs_te37_2.jpg  
Old 03-02-01, 02:20 PM
gswatkins
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help!
ClubLexus Forum really cuts the homework down.
I think the answer is.....

VOLK
Old 03-02-01, 02:23 PM
superlexus

gs4power, those are some beautiful rims.

Quick Reply: HRE or Volk?