Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

AfterMarket Chrome Rims & using spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 06:32 PM
justunme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AfterMarket Chrome Rims & using spacers

After a long search I found the rims I wanted for my newly purchased 2002 LS 430. The rim of choice is the Lexani Iris 17" x 7.5". According to my research, any rim with a 35 - 45 degree offset would work. The Lexani's are 43degree so when I found them bran new in box on Ebay I went for it figuring I wouldn't have any issues, NOT. After finally deciding on Goodyear Assurance tires, off to the tire store I went, with the rims in tow. It was probably a good idea that I instructed them to try the rims on car before they mounted the tires. Sadness filled the air when the back of the rim was rubbing up again the caliber just enough to stop it from turning. My guess is that I would need between an 1/8 and 1/4 inch spacer, but the tire guy told me he would not sell me the tires and install them with spacers because they would fall off. I read some of the other forums, but didn't find any pertaining to the LS430. So I'm putting it out there. Am I asking for trouble, and or do I try and find a hub-centric and 1/4 " spacer set.
Old 04-04-05, 06:54 PM
Lpham_3
Rookie

wow 17" and it still doesnt fit? that sucks ***!
Old 04-04-05, 09:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That sucks.
The LS's have the caliper issues so low disk fitments will not clear.

Happened to another member not long ago also.
Old 04-05-05, 01:34 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arent offsets in terms of milimeters? not degress? 35-45 mm u mean.. right? or is it really degress?
Old 04-08-05, 11:13 AM
justunme
Driver School Candidate

Default Offset is in meters

You are correct, the offset should be in meters.
Old 04-24-06, 05:12 PM
sdwilson1
Driver School Candidate

Default ls430 rims

I feel you man I have a 2002 ls430 also, got some Ice Metal 18" rims and the front wont turn because of the calipers. The suggestions I have heard are caliper shaving (last resort) and spacers. They do make hubcentric spacers from what I have figured so far, lets keep eachother posted on our results cuz I am in the same boat.
Old 04-24-06, 05:59 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

Originally Posted by justunme
You are correct, the offset should be in meters.
that would be millimeters, not meters.

a 5mm spacer (same as a 1/4 inch) is not a big deal. however, some tire shops won't take on that potential liability. is there a potential for the wheel to fall off? sure. but of course there's a potential for it (the wheel) to fall off regardless of whether or not a spacer is present. i've personally run a 5mm spacer, and i know too many people who have or currently run spacers to think that it's unsafe.

sounds like you just need to find a tire shop in your area willing to do the work.
Old 04-24-06, 07:06 PM
Phucanese
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdwilson1
I feel you man I have a 2002 ls430 also, got some Ice Metal 18" rims and the front wont turn because of the calipers. The suggestions I have heard are caliper shaving (last resort) and spacers. They do make hubcentric spacers from what I have figured so far, lets keep eachother posted on our results cuz I am in the same boat.
ive never heard of hubcentric spacers. hubcentric rings, yes.
they just go between the center hub of your rim and the center part of your brake rotor.
this is if after getting new wheels, and your car vibrates at higher speeds.
all it does is fill the gap for aftermarket wheels with different bore sizes.

oh, and on the subject of the spacers, they should be fine.
just remember to torque down your lugs!
Old 04-24-06, 07:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this is a classic example of misinformation.

offset has little to do with big brake fitment. our LS' along with most BBK equipped cars need a High Disk setup meaning that there is adequate room for the caliper behind the wheel. this is NOT AFFECTED by offset.
Old 04-24-06, 09:00 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Wow you guys are driving LS430's and putting crappy wheels on...geesh!
Old 04-26-06, 10:12 AM
Smoothie22
Driver School Candidate

When I put the 20's on my car I had to use spacers! I did not need to get longer studs, it is all about the type of lug nuts you use. I have had no problems with mine. I was a little worried at first, but after putting about 1200 miles on the new wheels the worry has gone away. No need for hubcentric rings, but I still have a little shimmy at like 55-60mph.
Old 05-03-06, 07:02 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue and worked for 3 months to find the right rim. I have 18's with a 35mm offset - and they did actually fit clean. However the other 10 sets of rims I ordered had the same 35mm offset but they did not clear the front caliper. I resorted to contacting the manufacturer(s) and requesting confirmation from them that the rim would clear the caliper. They had no reported returns for that car and many sales.

I feel you - the calipers are a pain in the neck - but I would not use spacers or anything that would extend the rim further. Just get confirmation from the manufacturer first - may take longer but your ride will look better in the end.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-06, 10:57 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexani on an LS? wow
Old 05-03-06, 02:35 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

I too went throught the same thing just two days ago and I must have went through 8 sets at the shop till we found one that fit. The wheels did fit but I didn't like the look.

The company was MHT, Driv Series, The Don Wheels. 45+ offset was just right! To make things a little easier next time.Just give MHT a call and find out the "BACKSPACING" of the wheels and apply those numbers to the wheels that you like.
I would post it up but the info is at home, sorry folks, I hope this helps any future LS400 95+ wheel buyers?

Backspacing ....................
Old 05-03-06, 05:35 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pagong
Wow you guys are driving LS430's and putting crappy wheels on...geesh!

HAhahahahahaha!!

thats amazing

Quick Reply: AfterMarket Chrome Rims & using spacers