Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

RX300 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 09:34 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

rhack1, good review. One thing I noticed a lot of members do is to compare mpg of newly mounted with just replaced worn tires. But new tires have larger diameter than worn tires, 11/32 or 10/32 (new thread) is at least 1/4 inch longer in radius than the legal worn limit of 2/32, that is >1/2 inch longer in diameter or 1.57 inches longer in circumference. Also new tires are heavier and have larger unsprung weight than worn tires. Both factors decreases mpg calculated by RX's on board computer. To compare rolling resistence alone, more reasonable approach would be comparing a new tire of brand A with a new tire in brand B.
Old 10-05-05, 10:43 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mpg assessment; tire chg and/or size change

i understand the math and agree with you..quite honestly, i did not notice any real significant difference in mpg as my old yokohama g-051 tires went from 0 to 70,000 miles...i really didn't...as i get gas almost every three days in driving the same route, i can definitely say that the computer is showing approximately a .4-.5 mpg drop with the new goodyear tripletred fortera...and yes, the computer would be off a little since the tires went from a 225/70-16 size to a 235/70-16 size...all-in-all, i don't really think there's a heckuva lot of difference between the yokos and the tripletreds...
Old 10-05-05, 01:19 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rhack1
i understand the math and agree with you..quite honestly, i did not notice any real significant difference in mpg as my old yokohama g-051 tires went from 0 to 70,000 miles...i really didn't...as i get gas almost every three days in driving the same route, i can definitely say that the computer is showing approximately a .4-.5 mpg drop with the new goodyear tripletred fortera...and yes, the computer would be off a little since the tires went from a 225/70-16 size to a 235/70-16 size...all-in-all, i don't really think there's a heckuva lot of difference between the yokos and the tripletreds...
Good to know Yoko Geolander lasted 70k, I got mine last year when tirerack had a $75 promotional gift card sale. Did you notice more road noise past the initial 20k?
Old 10-06-05, 04:40 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Default yokohama geolander g-051 road noise over time...

no...i really didn't notice any discernible difference in road noise as the tires wore down...the only thing i noticed was a slight uneasiness in heavy rain after the tires hit 50k or so...which is normal in my mind...but as for stopping distance, handling, road noise, and comfort -- i noticed little difference right up to 70k miles...these really are outstanding tires...and i didn't have any problems with the snow either...i know Consumers Report gave them fair ratings and that the snow rating wasn't high -- but i didn't experience that in my real world driving...I SERIOUSLY WOULD GET ANOTHER SET OF THESE!...However, i decided to try out the goodyear fortera tripletreds just for the sake of it...so far, so good...i like the goodyears are fine -- but definitely not considerable different than the yokohamas...still will have to see what they do when the white stuff flies...check out the fortera tripletreds on the web -- awesome tire design with a lot of features...but you can't go wrong with the yokohamas -- greattttt tires...
Old 10-06-05, 08:22 PM
vuvision
Driver School Candidate

Another vote for the Yoko Geolander here ... I've been a Micheline loyal for years, but with the discovery of the Yoko Geolander, I refuse to go back and pay bend over price with Micheline ever again!
Old 10-06-05, 10:01 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vuvision
Another vote for the Yoko Geolander here ... I've been a Micheline loyal for years, but with the discovery of the Yoko Geolander, I refuse to go back and pay bend over price with Micheline ever again!
Just checked my old receipt, $276.7 for all 4 Geolander shipped to my door after $75 gift card last year. I agree with you. Michelin CT is good, but I can not justify to pay $600 when CT is not twice better.
Old 10-07-05, 11:26 AM
vuvision
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Just checked my old receipt, $276.7 for all 4 Geolander shipped to my door after $75 gift card last year. I agree with you. Michelin CT is good, but I can not justify to pay $600 when CT is not twice better.
If it performs 2X better, then I probably wouldn't mind shelling out $600+ like I used to. But the point of the matter is, the sets of Yoko tires that I got are on par with the previous Michelin Cross Terrain, if anything else, the Yoko is more grippy on wet traction. It'll be hard pressed for me to go back to Michelin, and this applies for my next set of tires on my MB.

Last edited by vuvision; 10-07-05 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-09-05, 09:16 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rhack1:
Would you be kind enough to post the UTQG treadwear rating number from the sidewall of your Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds? I can't find this spec anywhere, even on the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred website.

My CTs have almost 60K on them so I am looking at all the alternatives before getting new CTs.
Current considerations are Michelin CTs, Goodyear Fortera Tripletred, Bridgestone Alenzas, and Yoko Geolander, in that order. I did see some great (old) prices posted from others on the Yokos but when I look at current prices and promotions for all the tires, Yokos are actually looking more expensive per mile. They only have a treadwear rating of 500 compared to 700 for most others.
Old 10-09-05, 12:01 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Neil64
Thanks all for the recommendations. None of the recommendations came in higher than 10th in Consumer Reports test conducted in 11/04. Still, based on TireRack's customer reviews, it seems like the Michelin Cross Terrain is at least a popular choice. I haven't been able to find the Toyo locally but am considering it as well as the Dunlop Radial Rover AT and the Goodyear Fortera, although I am not a Goodyear fan.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks..

Neil
Have you seen these?

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...ea=Light+Truck
Old 10-09-05, 03:12 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I already looked at that site. No UTQG tread wear rating.
Old 10-23-05, 11:41 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

Go with Cross Terrain or Geolandar

Last edited by TTEHarrier; 11-03-05 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-25-05, 05:59 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Just thought I'd add my opinion. I really like the Yokohama Geolanders.
Old 10-25-05, 06:51 PM
vuvision
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Just thought I'd add my opinion. I really like the Yokohama Geolanders.
Second & third that ^^

Previous tires were Cross Terrain, now I am riding on Yoko Geo for less than half the price with better performance on wet traction & just as quiet. It'll be hard pressed for me to go back to Michellin again. If the Michellin branding makes you feel better, by all mean go for it. Otherwiwe, skip the Cross Terrain and go with the Yoko Geo, you won't regret.

My 2 cents

Last edited by vuvision; 10-25-05 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-25-05, 09:50 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read the November 2004 issue of Consumer Reports on Yoko Geo and Michelin CT. What you read may shock you.

My RX300 came with Goodyear Integrity. Got 53K miles out of them. They could go another 15K if it weren't for the Colorado winter. Not bad overall, it had very good braking and smooth ride, but its handling and ice braking were so-so, and it's very noisy on some pavement. So I got the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687, which is the real OEM tire.

Based on C/R's RX300 road test (equipped with the Dueler H/T), it handled well in emergency manuever test "commendable for an SUV", very good overall braking, quiet, serene ride, etc. My experience is the same. (For those who prefer facts over myth, it's in the July 2001 issue of C/R.)

A few people knock OEM tires and prefer to spend big bucks for replacement tires that are actually inferior. They got upset at me when I presented the facts last time. And they obviously lack basic knowledge in tires (i.e., some think higher wear index like 700 means superior tires.) So this time I'll let these juveniles be wrong and not waste my time to argue with them.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 10-25-05 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 07:23 AM
vuvision
Driver School Candidate

After the long winded paragraphs, then you followed with this ...

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
... So this time I'll let these juveniles be wrong and not waste my time to argue with them.
Sounds like someone's panty is bunching up again . But it's all good here ... just wanted to share my personal experience, take it with a grain of salt.

FWIW, CR is fine for the noob consumers, I take CR with a grain of salt as well and do my own search (Google is a wonderful thang ). Just use common sense to weed out the "these tires rocks!!" and the "these sucks ..." online reviews from end users and read between the lines of the well written ones with intelligent explanations to back up their reviews.

Again, my 2 cents ...

Quick Reply: RX300 Tires