Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

RX300 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 03:06 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mhc, your experience makes me appreciate my Integrity's all the more!
Old 04-25-05, 09:58 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Goodyear Integrity is a fine choice for where the winter is mild. If you get lots of snow and ice where you live, watch out. The RX300 might skate like Tonya Harding - no flying hub cap though.

Here's my personal take on the Integrity:
Dry braking = very good
Wet braking = good
Handling = fair
Ride = excellent
Noise = very good
Snow = poor
Ice = fair

Rolling resistance (fuel economy) = excellent
Old 04-26-05, 06:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mhc0725
I don't know how the Toyo Open Country M-606 rates in manufacturer's rating for wear, but my friend's 2004 Highlander with these tires barely got 36K and they were feathering big time, even though he got the alignment checked twice during the 36K. When it was near the end of tread life, the tires were LOUD... I mean real loud. The junk GY Intergrity that I had on my RX when they wore down, weren't even this bad. He thought that perhaps some mechanical drive train component was seizing up on him, but he got the tires replaced (with BF Goodrich) and the noise was gone.

The 36K wouldn't be too bad if he did a lot of city driving, but he only uses the vehicle to go between NJ and Syracuse, NY (about 400 miles one way) on weekends and it's all highway driving. One good thing out of it, all four tires wore out at the same rate, so it wasn't like he got one bad tire out of a batch.

Just my 'experience' with a Toyo tire.
I have no experence with the Open country M-606 (although they are considered suited for 'recreational or commercial' applications. The Open Country M-410 or the new Open Country H/T are more for regular highway all season applications, not anything off road or the like. If your friend bought the M-606's with that intention, he bought the wrong tire bigtime!
Old 04-26-05, 09:55 AM
mhc0725
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo

Lexusfreak, the Toyo were standard equipment on the Toyota. Another case of cheap tires to save cost.
Old 04-26-05, 04:15 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harrier, yeah that girl Tonya could really skate, so far my RX hasn't!
Old 04-26-05, 09:28 PM
dmc888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest problem with the integreties are the bounciness. Although it will make the ride smoother with bumps, Handling is lost with the soft sidewalls. The handling is so much safer with my Yokos. I noticed a difference right away. The bumps are more noticable but i rather have better handling. Never know if you will need to do some emergency defensive driving. Integreties Treadwear was good, dry and wet traction not impressive. The yokohamas handle chicagoland snow nicely.
Old 04-26-05, 10:29 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

FWIW, this is CR's rating on passenger car version of Goodyear Integrity (195/70R14.) Note that this may be irrelevant to the Goodyear Integrity tire fitted on the RX300. It's dated Nov. 2001.

Dry braking = good
Wet braking = very good
Handling = good
Snow = very good
Ice = good

I saw a minivan with Goodyear "Allegra" tires (sounds like a medication.) It looks almost like the Integrity except it has more sipes on the tread. Perhaps it'd perform better on ice and snow compared to Integrity. Anybody knows about this tire?
Old 04-27-05, 06:14 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mhc0725
Lexusfreak, the Toyo were standard equipment on the Toyota. Another case of cheap tires to save cost.
Couldn't agree more mhc. It really bothers me when they use 'sub par' OE tires to save a buck or two & put safety, traction, and the like a second tier thought. Pretty much all car makers do this in the name of saving money & gaining fuel economy.
Old 07-04-05, 10:38 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Went with the Cross Terrains

All,

Thanks for all of your input. When it came down to it, I wanted the best and safest tire that could be purchased. Based on all the comments I read, I opted for the Michelin Cross Terrains.. So far, their dry performance is as good as the Bridgestones - maybe better but I haven't driven the truck much lately. I'll post back with my findings in a couple of months. Maybe tit will help others.

Thanks..

Neil
Old 07-06-05, 05:53 PM
cephraim
Driver

Default How about 225/60R16 Toyos?

Pulled some almost new Toyo 225/60R16 Toyo's off my wife's car before trading it in.

How will these work on my RX300?
Any safety concerns?

Thanks,
Eph
Old 07-06-05, 06:05 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the Michelin Cross Terrains for my RX about 25,000 miles agol. They still provide a very hugging ride. Yes, they're not as smooth as the originl Duelers, but in snow and turning curves you feel safe. I believe the gas mileage is down a little--maybe due to the road hugging qualities, but I'd rather feel safe. $ isn't the issue when it comes to feeling safe. I wished they put them on the 400h but apparently those have a whole different type of tire. We'll see when winter comes how well these VR tires fare in the snow.
Old 07-06-05, 09:02 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Here's my personal take on the Integrity:
Dry braking = very good
Wet braking = good
Handling = fair
Ride = excellent
Noise = very good
Snow = poor
Ice = fair

Rolling resistance (fuel economy) = excellent
From my experience and research, tires always perform worse than on ice compared to snow. WIth the exception of studded tires.
Old 07-06-05, 09:35 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

My rating is based on how the GY Integrity performed against other tires that I've owned.
Old 07-07-05, 08:19 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by steevr
My '02 RX came with the Bridgestones. They were quiet but were awful in the snow. At 31K I replaced them with the same sized Cross Terrains. We had the Cross Terrains on our '97 Expedition and they came standard on our new GX470.

There are as quiet as the Bridgestones and they are awsome in the snow. I highly recommend them. Bought them at Costco.
I found that the Bridgestones were very quiet, but did not wear well. They suffered from belt separation and became loud and wobbly. I replaced with Generals, which were the same, but not quiet. Lastly, I put four new Dunlop Radial Rover A/Ts on them. Nice tread depth, good construction, but noisy as heck.

Next time I am probably going to try Yokohama Geolandars or the Michelins, whichever is quieter.
Old 10-05-05, 08:01 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Default goodyear fortera tripletred tires 235/70-16 vs. yokohama g-051 vs. goodyear integrity

My 1999 rx300 is awd and i now have 113, 000+ miles on it...i drive 100 miles a day thru upstate, ny (syracuse) area...winters get 120+ inches of the white stuff...i drive between 70-78mph on my commute to work on a major highway...i just put the brand new goodyear fortera tripletred model on my rx300...i've only had them for 2 weeks -- but here are my observations so far...they really grip the road...handling is excellent...it plowed thru pouring rain at high speed without any problems or issues...the rolling resistance is about 1/2 mpg less than the yokohama g-051...the tires are fairly quiet and similar to the yokohamas...the tire is stiff, though...i feel more bumps than the yokohamas...the tire has great looks...i did have to move up to the 235/70-16 sizing...anyhow -- so far so good...i'll update everyone on the snow -- when it comes...as for the yokohamas -- these tires are absolutely great...i just decided to try something different by going with the fortera tripletred...i actually got a little over 70,000 miles on them and they were NEVER a problem...their handling, rain and snow traction was excellent...the ride was soft, but firm...the integritites it came with were junk -- lousy handling, and lousy rain/winter feel...as for the pricing on the fortera tripletreds -- i kinda lucked out...i had ordered the fortera silent armor version and the warehouse messed up and delivered the tripletred by mistake...the installation place (a local tire dealer) honored the silent armor pricing...the tripletreds are supposed to be $15-20 more a tire...anyhow -- i paid $147/ea which included the tire, mounting, balancing, new value stems, and NY tire disposal fee...and goodyear had a $50 rebate for buying 4 forteras...when i checked out the yokohama price on tirerack.com it was $85/ea...factoring in $10/ea for shipping and then $15-20 for mounting/balancing/etc -- and then offsetting the fortera price with the rebate -- my actual cost wasn't much more than the yokos...i'll update once i drive them thru snow....but so far, so good...R

Quick Reply: RX300 Tires