Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Kumho Supra 712 tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-01, 04:57 PM
dgangi

Question

Today finally got rid of my noisy Michelin Pilots and got a set of Kumho Supra 712 tires (225/55/16) for my 2000 GS300. I know it is a little too late to ask this question but I was wondering if any of you have experience with the Supra 712's. Do they handle well? Do they last? My short trip home proved they are much better than my Michelins, but I haven't had the chance to put the new tires through their paces yet.

The reviewers on Tire Rack raved about the tire. Some of my friends raved about the tire. The people at Discount Tire (where I purchased the tires) raved about the tire and highly recommended it. I am a die-hard Pirelli fan and was all set to purchase a set of P6000's, but for $25 less per tire, a higher speed rating, and a higher tread rating I figure I couldn't lose with the Kumho's.

And...bonus...I get a $50 savings bond from Kumho

Thx...Doug
Old 06-12-01, 02:20 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have kumho tires on my GS400 I used to have the dunlop sp9000 and thought that they were noisey dont get me wrong I loved the SP9000 amazing tires and lasted forever but for the price of the kumho and preformance you get from them you just cant go wrong so far Ive tested the kumho and they do grip the road pretty well even in wet weather and by the way kumho is made by dunlop (just to let you know) but so far I am very satisfied with the kumho's for there price they are a great deal and the road noise is not as noticable as it was with my Dunlop's
Old 06-12-01, 09:18 AM
chowder
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default biggee27

kuhmo = dunlop?
i heard sumitomo were dunlop. am i/you mixing up names, or is dunlop multibranding like crazy?
Old 06-13-01, 07:53 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I was told was komho was also made by dunlop but I can double check and get back to you on that one
Old 06-14-01, 07:55 PM
Fusion400
Driver

Angry stupid question...

okey i got a Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 on the GS400. It has been three days old and I don't like the look, handling, and performance on the GS. Is legal to ask for momey back where I bought it from? I mean I'm not satisfy and 100% happy with the tires. After I've spended almost 900 bucks for a set of 4 tries.

It's Costco if ya wanna know.

Thanks,
Fusion400
Old 06-22-01, 03:54 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I just put them on my M5 in the 245/40/18 size. I have had Michelin Pilots before and just took off Yoko AVS Sports.

The Kuhmos are very quiet and ride way better than the Yokos but do not have the feedback or response the Yokos had. That is fine with me for daily driving. The grip seems a notch below the Yoko but too early to tell really. They tramline much less (follow lines on the freeway etc.) which is significant as I have camber plates which make that even worse than usual.

The only thing I need to get used to is the less connected feel. Other than that I am happy. BTW, in my size the are $125 PER TIRE than the Yoko AVS Sport and $80 less per tire vs. Pirellis.

I have R compounds for the track so I ultimate street performance isn't crucial.
Old 06-22-01, 11:38 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Fusion400 - take advantage of Costco's 100% satisfaction guarantee. Costco will let you return anything for refund (with receipt and original packaging) or credit (may be the case with tires) at any time. It is a little published policy. Their policy states that they "prefer" the return to be within 30 days, but it is not required.

I buy everything I can from these guys, keep the original packaging and make a copy of the receipt and stick it in the box. I just returned a computer that had problems after 9 months. They gave me a 100% refund (no questions asked as I had the receipt and original package). I turned around and bought a new computer with more power and capabilities.

Worst thing that can happen is they say no, but IME they likely will not. Just explain why. If they sell the other tires you want, that may make the return easier.

Good luck - post how it turns out.
Old 06-23-01, 03:14 AM
Fusion400
Driver

Default Phew....

Alrite i went to South Sacramento Costco to return the tires and the stupid manager told me i can't return them. I said WTF, what about your 100% satisfaction guarantee? We argued back and forth and I can't take it anymore so i left. His final decision was take back 50% and I pay the other half. Helll no, the damn tires are band new and it's costed me 900 bucks.

N--e-ways i went inside the Costco store not the tire station and asked to speak with the top level ppl. After some reasons and explainning about my satisfaction, they finally gave me 100% refund. Most ppl who worked there know me cuz i shop there every single weekend told me that tires manager is an ***. Nevertheless i got my full refund and now my baby GS400 aka GS4300 now has Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position. Feel great and look good too.

Like i said with that kind buying experienced, i will never buy tires or doing tires business with them. I had mine done over BIG-O-Tires.

Fusion400
Old 06-23-01, 02:49 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Fusion400

Sorry you had to hassle with the tire guy, I should have stated that you should go right to the "returns" section to deal with it that way. Bottom line, you got your money back. In 9 out of 10 cases, you would have been SOL.

I am up in Sacramento as well, glad to hear I should avoid South Sac Costco.

GS-exploits
Old 06-23-01, 04:31 PM
Fusion400
Driver

Default For real>>>

hey gsexploits,

Ya from Sacto too? Where in sacto? I'm from the South Sac, well in the Laguna area to be exact. Did you go with the ALL TOYOTA meet today?

I didn't go cuz i have to take care some business. Hey i've been looking for some GS owners so we can cruise around. So far none are from Sacramento.

Maybe we can cruise around sac town sometimes.

Late,
Fusion400
Old 06-23-01, 08:12 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Fusion400

Live up in El Dorado Hills. Didn't get to ALL Toyota today. Just picked up my GS430 2 weeks ago, so still getting up to speed on things.

Have you done any mods locally? I am looking to get Eibachs/Bilsteins/TRD sways done locally and the only one in town seems to be Motorsport Dynamics - but they haven't been too responsive to my calls (plus a buddy of mine had some work done and they hosed it up the first time, but finally fixed it).

Seems like Lexus of Sac wants to do the work but for like $700 for L-tune springs/shocks plus parts cost - no way I will pay this especially since the Eibachs have a 10 year warranty and Bilsteins are lifetime (though I am contemplating using up the stock shocks right now??).

I am picking up the TRDs from Steve at Carson, probably will pick up the Bilsteins from gs4will and the Eibach's from Todd at TM Engineering, but I need someone local and reliable to install them (don't want to mess up the new ride)

Any ideas? Any others you have hooked up with in Sac that may know?

GS-exploits
Old 06-23-01, 10:32 PM
Fusion400
Driver

Default Waitttttttttttttttt....

WAIT,

Don't go to Motorsport Dynamic or SMA. Most of my friends and I've seen their worked and the prices.Hum~ too expensive and all. Have u heard of March performance??? Go there or I will go with ya. I know the owner personally. They're cool maybe i can hook up with some parts or labor for a good price.

Fusion400