Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 05:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default New Tires

FALKEN ZIEX ZE-512.

H rated, 195-60-R15. I have logged well over half a million miles in my short driving life. These have to be the smoothest tires i have ever encountered in that distance. No ifs ands or buts, these things are INCREDIBLE. Silent as the dead. The old tires were contributing so much to the harsh ride, only i didnt realize how much until the car stood firmly in its new shoes.

These tires are simply amazing. I forgot they were there. from the inside, i am having trouble figuring out what to do with this newfound lexus silence!. i cant believe how much this cars ride and responsiveness has cleared up, all because of the tires.

The tread is Directional. this means a better dispersement of grip and better displacement of water. It also means decreased noise levels which is good.
The treadwear rating is 420 (60,000 mile gauruntee) and so far, i cant even begin to complain about the handling. its hard to find a fault. i think these tires and this car should have gone hand in hand from the factory.

I cant really complain about the installers, discount tire co. inc. they werent bad, they didnt schratch my wheels which is good, but at the same time, the manager that took my order was not very polite. he wasnt rude at all, but he wasnt smiling LOL. however, they didnt put the reccomended amount fo air in my tires. i liek to keep them at 44 PSI, the max onthe tire is 51PSI. they put 32PSI in.

and now, more pictures. i ill keep you updated as tme goes by. and let you knwo how hey are wearing, wet weather traction etc.

and after a hard afternoon's work, a Texas Sunset.

Old 03-17-05, 10:03 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default great...

looks great.. if they are as good as you say. i might consider getting it.. mind letting me know how much you pay for them??.. they as good as goodyear, BF. or Mich?...
Old 03-18-05, 05:38 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

i paid $48 per tire here:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...d=006158&ar=60

Came to $281.47 out the door, before the $25 off coupon. i would say they are quite possibly the grippiest quitest tire ever. the only question remaining is how well they wear. and with a 60K gauruntee, they cant last any lessthan that.
Old 03-18-05, 05:52 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wow , i'm way off subject but u have a 1991 and only 143k miles. thats great. must be well kept and least ait definately looks that way ...congrats on the tires..
Old 03-18-05, 06:22 PM
UncivilizedAMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's cheaper over at www.vulcantires.com

Yeh these tires are good. Consumer reports voted them best high performance all season tires out of a lsit of tires with ones much more expensive too.
Old 03-18-05, 07:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by bluelex
wow , i'm way off subject but u have a 1991 and only 143k miles. thats great. must be well kept and least ait definately looks that way ...congrats on the tires..
its a 1990, and has 144,500 now, i need to update that. LOL..

but thanks! Its well kept now, it didnt used to be. $3,000 and about 60 man hours fixed that. lotsa stuff was wrong with this car when i got it, PM for full details.

as i said, i have logged over half a million miles on americas roads...and im only 20, but these are the BEST tires i have had...period.

whats more, i found out today, i cant break em loose? not in the corners and not in the straights. i took a left hand turn today at over 40MPH, and not so much as a squeel. just a quiet shhhhhh as i went aroudn the corner. the car tracked like it never has before. no understeer or oversteer, the balance was perfect.

vulcantire may have had them for cheaper, but with my discount coupn at discout tire, they werent cheaper, they were the same. and it wasnt worth the hassle of me getting them form another place and having one or 2 of the tires end up being wrong or bad (knowing my luck) then have to pay shippingto send them back...what a PITA.

I waled into the discount tire store after printing the ad that i linked above, with it and a coupon for $25 off any set fo tires or wheels in my hand. i told they guy what i wanted and that i wanted them at this price or lower if possible. he said $48 is the best i can do. i said order em, i put a $25 deposit down and that was the end of it. i had my tires the next day.

in and out in less than 30 minutes too.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 03-18-05 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-21-05, 10:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Well, i put the tires to the ultimate dry traction test today. took a 90 degree curve (nto a sharp corner, but a curve) at about 50. car tracked right through it. it was a right hand turn, and even with massive body roll (worn struts...remeber ), she never once lost her grip. I had CL member "GATO" along for the ride. Sorry if i scared you Giovanni...ow that i think about it, it was sort of wrong for me to do that with a passenger in my car.

the rest of the tests were performed with just me in the car and here is how they stack up:

i cant wait for the rain so i can do a wet turn traction test. it rained a little this morning so did a start/stop wet traction test. not bad.

so on a scale with 1 bing worst and 10 being best

Dry traction-Start: 10
Dry traction-Stop: 10
Dry Traction: S-curve-10
Dry Traction- Hairpin-9.8 (they werent completely silent, had a little squeal)
Dry traction- Rapid Lane Change (performed at 75 mph): 10

Wet Traction-Start: 9.8 (some slip initailly, but i hit the gas too hard)
Wet Traction-Stop: 8.5 (due partially to worn struts)

More tests to come!