Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Who hates this wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-01, 06:53 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a Rays Revolver ...

You can see it on Hiro's car in a thread called "Tight" but the picture isn't very clear.

I just kinda like this look. Am I crazy?
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-01, 07:09 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hmm, thats a knock-off of something.. I forget which company. I know Giovanna makes a similiar rim.

AS for the look, its not my top choice, but I don't think its ugly.

Old 05-30-01, 10:24 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not bad

the design was originated by MAE-a benz tuner. thiough i do not usually like the idea of imitation. i somehow like this wheel.

perhaps it is because i saw them in person on HIRO's blk GS at the meet, and to me, any wheel from the RAYS factory, including this one, is top notch in material and workmanship.

hiro's gs 430 is CLASSY.
Old 05-30-01, 02:18 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Thanks, guys. Yes I like the looks of Hiro's ride.

This wheel has caught my eye too. Opinions?

Old 05-30-01, 02:24 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Bob,

we are misssing the actual wheel you want the opinions on
Old 05-30-01, 02:59 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

here it is, I hope ...
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-01, 03:01 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

I can't get the file to attach ....

here's a link .... http://www.arw.co.jp/wheels/zgd_ev.html

Old 05-30-01, 03:45 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

they are from arrow(zauber) in japan, so the quality should be OK. but the design, imo, seems to fit better on SUVs. just my $0.03
Old 05-30-01, 03:50 PM
RacingAristo

I don't really like this kind of style on GS.
Old 05-30-01, 07:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yah like Will said this design was originated by MAE. I HATED those wheels. Then these RAYS revolver wheels are okay. Some wheels that has this design and created by VolkRacing really impressed me. Like the RAYS Genome DRILLED (same design but has drilled holes on the edges) and the SE37W/LE37W (a 5 spoke of the same design.)

Manaray's comments on these MAE Lookalikes?
Old 05-30-01, 08:35 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Globe .... I take it you don't really like the second wheel much (the Zauber).

Here's one I saw on www.lexuscreations.com gallery. Anybody know what it is??? Opinions?

/s/ the searcher
Attached Thumbnails Who hates this wheel???-lex990.jpg  
Old 05-30-01, 11:42 PM
RacingAristo

Ah...i like this one much better.
Old 05-31-01, 03:30 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

MAE knock-offs - I've liked the MAE design since the first time I saw it. The design is so simple (and different at the time), it's hard to make anything remotely like it without it looking like a knock-off. As for Giovanna, they call their rim a MAE so I wonder if they worked out some deal with MAE Germany...

Rays makes TOP QUALITY wheels and it's probably better than the MAE's...

Now here's my issue (I've been having a lot of these lately!) Hashimoto is MAE's official importer in Japan. They slap them on Japanese cars (check out the ad below that came from a Japanese VIP magazine...sorry for the glare, it's a photo, not a scan). MAE must be OK with this practice (whereas Brabus REALLY hates it...I mean A LOT...)

According to the Wheel Rules and Regulations , putting on Benz Tuner rims onto a Lexus is a big no-no...

But MAE manufactures rims with Japanese bolt patterns and offsets (whereas Brabus, Lorinser, etc., do NOT). So if MAE is catering to Japanese customers, should they be allowed exemption from this elementary Rule?

I don't know...I would have to talk with someone at MAE to see if they actually WANT Japanese cars to have their rims. If they DO, then I would say it's OK...but you may still get some snickers from other Japanese auto owners...

One more thing I want to bring up about this Japanese/German debate...Wald makes a LOT of Benz body kits and accessories and actually lists them FIRST on their website. Plus they also push AMGish style rims...and Wald is a well respected Japanese aftermarket supplier for Lexus/Toyota cars...Just something to think about...

As for the second rim, I dunno. I kinda like it, and then I kinda don't. I'd have to photoshop it onto a GS to see what it looks like....
Attached Thumbnails Who hates this wheel???-mae.jpg  
Old 05-31-01, 10:18 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb my thoughts....

Manaray and everyone who will be contributing to our proposed wheel section,

about the issues of MAE design, this is what was informed by the export division of "Fuji Corporation"-one of the LARGEST tyre/wheel publically traded co.in japan:

as Manaray stated, MAE of Germany originally only had the bolt pattern and off-set for the BENZ. so many japanese vip owners had to do modifications to the wheels in order for them to place such wheels on their cars. over the years, as demand for VIP sedans(usually the used ones-economy was not good), the design of MAE became well received by car DUDES in japan for its clean and elegance.
so it all comes down to the law of supply and demand. as japanese co. such as RAYS come up with their own"MAEs", the Germany MAE could not tolarate anymore, and decided to to have official MAEs for JDM VIPs.

IMHO, i would make an exception for this situation for MAE's willingness to adjust to market climate and actually create something for japanese cars. to me, this shows certain degree of respect.

as i said earlier, RAY's Revolver has excellent quality and finish. though the design MIGHT appeared to be too close to the German MAE, the fact that it is made by RAYs speaks volume for me.

now, about the WALD's products:

as Manaray mentioned, WALD is an excellent co. who makes good products. though they also cater to german cars and even listed BENZ in the first sec. of their ad, i would still consider WALD as a good tuner for the lexus, and would buy their kits in a heart beat. actually, i already inquired with SKR about the WALD kit.

william

Old 06-01-01, 01:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GS4Will - Thanks for the research on that subject! Very informative!

Well if MAE is willing to make their rims fit on Japanese cars, then I think they're acceptable.

I too would buy Wald products w/o any reservation. I just brought that up as food for thought when it comes to this whole Japanese/German debate....

As for the MAE vs. Rays....that's a tough call. I know and trust Ray's quality and reputation but I think I would get the MAE's because I know the quality is good and it's the original design...

Quick Reply: Who hates this wheel???