Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HRE 945r..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 11:25 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HRE 945r..?

Is there any info on the 940r series available yet? I found this pic in Dec, and saw these same wheels again in the new issue of some Mustang magazine...but have yet to see any of the other wheels in the 940 line. The HRE website doesnt even make mention of the 940 series yet.
Old 02-09-05, 12:33 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Should be ready to order by late March. $7100 for 20" staggered in polished no tires.
Old 02-09-05, 05:38 PM
mr who
Lead Lap

Thanks, and wow!$$!
Old 02-09-05, 07:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Finally a thick spoke wheel from HRE . . .
Old 02-09-05, 07:19 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

One thing I still don't understand.. What justifies the price of HRE compared to other high-end wheels? You are looking at a substantial more sum of money for HRE compared to Work and all their sub companies. Those wheels look absolutely sick, but if you are paying a hefty sum more just for the name, I can't justify that. But if you tell me "their forging process is way better or "they have better machinery to build the wheels" etc.. along that lines then I can see why..

This is not bashing HRE at all.. Just want to know what is the reason for the price difference..
Old 02-09-05, 07:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally i am not really thrilled by the design at all... when i first saw it i went "huh?"
Old 02-09-05, 07:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
One thing I still don't understand.. What justifies the price of HRE compared to other high-end wheels? You are looking at a substantial more sum of money for HRE compared to Work and all their sub companies. Those wheels look absolutely sick, but if you are paying a hefty sum more just for the name, I can't justify that. But if you tell me "their forging process is way better or "they have better machinery to build the wheels" etc.. along that lines then I can see why..

This is not bashing HRE at all.. Just want to know what is the reason for the price difference..
i am sure for the price you pay some for the brand name, no doubt about that, it's still pretty exclusive stuff, even for bimmer (the most popular owners of hre wheels imho). forging purpose, i can't really say much, i know they (say compared to iforged) use different forging system and as far as i know there is no real world tests on both of them to see which one is stronger

one thing i know is that hre is pretty conservative on the design and they do a lot of stress tests among others to make sure the wheels are strong in every aspect, down to the valve stems and also the bolts. i think that's a big big plus

also you pay for the customer service, which so far i think have been nothing but excellent. you call up hre directly about stuff and they get back to you right the way

about the prices though, yes it's more than works, but man, if you throw in some other jdm wheels like fabulous, then you know what's expensive. hre is nothing compared to those imho

and of course, i am sure people will talk about iforged. i think iforged has improved a lot and now with derrick here i think it's a great asset to the forum. it's a great bridge between iforged and the customer, and if they can prove the quality of the wheels (long term) as well then i think they could be a good contender
Old 02-09-05, 08:01 PM
iForged1
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I would like to know what else we should improve. Much appreciate if you can provide me with a concrete example. Thanks.

P.S. I would really like to have an independent inspection of both company's wheel for quality and strength but I need somebody, like a magazine tester, to set it up so there is no bias.

Originally Posted by rominl
..., and if they can prove the quality of the wheels (long term) as well then i think they could be a good contender
Old 02-09-05, 08:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by iForged1
I would like to know what else we should improve. Much appreciate if you can provide me with a concrete example. Thanks.

P.S. I would really like to have an independent inspection of both company's wheel for quality and strength but I need somebody, like a magazine tester, to set it up so there is no bias.
oh don't get me wrong, that was NOT a negative comment, i was just talking about quality in general. i heard a lot of quality issues with iforged rims in the past, but over the past year the iforged wheels i have seen are all good, havent' heard of any problems. long term reliability is just something we know after long term, say another yr from now and everything is still running awesome, then that's a big bold statement

if there is some source who is willing to do testing on both wheels of course it's the best
Old 02-10-05, 03:44 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i am not really thrilled by the design at all... when i first saw it i went "huh?"
I thought the same thing. Not feelin those wheels at all
Old 02-10-05, 04:18 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

Not a big fan either...they may look a little better in a different finish, but Im just not feelin' it.

BTW...is it just me or do they look very similiar to the new Zone wheels that Bob (SoCalSC4) has now? The center of the wheel is different, but the spoke design looks identical.
Old 02-10-05, 05:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I assume there are other wheels in the new 940R series ? Anybody have pics of them ?
Old 02-10-05, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SexySC
I assume there are other wheels in the new 940R series ? Anybody have pics of them ?
surprisingly that's the only "new" one i have seen so far

and the fact that they hardever update their homepage doesn't help neither
Old 02-11-05, 05:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I'm interested in seeing the rest, 'cause I assume from the picture that the wheels in the new series could possibly have thicker spokes with bolder looks, just speculating . . .
Old 02-11-05, 07:26 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

surprisingly that's the only "new" one i have seen so far

and the fact that they hardever update their homepage doesn't help neither
There was a SEMA thread last year where all of them where pictured. There is a 6 spoke 7spoke etc etc (if I remember correctly). They all seem to share that "rather plain" appearance. Sort of looks like whee was just stamped out of alloy (no curves, contours, etc)

This style of wheels is probably really good for those that want to go the dark faced route and maintain some "presence"

Quick Reply: HRE 945r..?