Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel Damage From Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 03:59 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Damage From Mounting

I got my new wheels and tires in last week and took them to the local Wal-Mart to be mounted. They offered a lifetime balance warranty, so I thought that was the best deal going. Well, I'm not familiar with wheel mounting equipment and they ended up really damaging my wheels. They never said anything about their mounting machine not being capable of properly mounting alloy wheels. The first clue was me standing there and one of the wheels popping off the machine and bouncing across the floor and I noticed that the guys had wrapped the part of the mounting machine that grips the wheels with shop towels. I thought they were just being extra careful to not damage my brand new wheels. A couple of the guys seemed really nice – not like they would intentionally do damage to my wheels. So, I was like, do what you have to do to mount them – you know. Little did I know the machines they use are like the cheapest ones there are available. I went by to get an oil change last night and one of the guys there – a different one than before – was like all, yea, we don’t even have the Teflon or whatever covers that fit these machines to guard against damage and spilled it that these are super cheap mounting machines or some such thing. The stinger is that one of the young guys there the day I did get my tires mounted knew full well what was up. He spoke of having 19’s or 20’s himself and I think he may have possibly made comment in finding it humorous that they destroyed my rims.

So, they said call the automotive manager today and talk with him about it. The guys last night seemed fairly confident a resolution would be met. Any suggestions before calling on how to address this?

In the least – be warned of the mounting machines at Wal-Mart automotive. They said that all the Wal-Marts use these same machines.
Old 02-02-05, 12:06 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I got my new wheels and tires in last week and took them to the local Wal-Mart to be mounted.

Man, you should've asked on here first!
Old 02-02-05, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man.... it was definitely a big mistake on your side.... but now definitely hope that the manager is going to resolve the issue. afteral lthey took the job and did damage the wheel
Old 02-02-05, 02:07 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went to the specialty tire shop in town and they have the same machine as Wal-Mart. The dudes at Wal-Mart just don't know how to use it right with alloy wheels. They are supposed to grip the wheels from the rim and not expand from the inside – they screwed them up for sure. The local tire shop guy says that these wheels aren’t clear coated on the inside though – so, it’s really just cosmetic damage he said. I’ll have to verify that before deciding on what to do. I did take it by the Wal-Mart for the manager to see. It’s like this, a couple of the guys there were doing their best ok, that’s cool – one of them knew better for sure and I think he thinks it was funny that they douched my wheels so now I wan to see them pay for it. If it’s going to be a cause for a deteriorating finish problem – then for sure I want something done. The Konigs don’t have a really great rep for finish in the first place – so that both worries me that this will promote a problem and well, they might have just bought me a sweet black finish for my Graphite Holes cuz homeboy wanted to be a punk.
Old 02-03-05, 07:21 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Never take custom rims to a standard tire place. These guys just don't understand. They mount and unmount stealies day in and day out and just don't take the care they need to or possess the knowledge to properly get the job done like guys at a custom rim place would.

For your girlfriend's 14" stealies on her Focus, that's a good place. For your custom rims, go to a high end aftermarket rim shop and have them do it. These guys take proper care and know how NOT to damage the wheels because they sell wheels there, too. And they HAVE to do it right because if they scratch your new wheel when mounting your tires, it's their problem.

Their clientele is much different than at Wal-Mart. Spend the extra cash there.