Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 12:45 PM
WGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tires

I have a 98 SC-400 in need of tires. The dealer says he can put on goodyear eagle gt+4"s for $140 apiece. I don't know if this is a good suggestion. I've have good luck in the past with Pirelli Zero's on my SUV but have had no history with tires on the SC. The car has Michelin Pilots on it now and they went away very quickly. Any advice out there???
Old 01-10-05, 01:29 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by WGT
I have a 98 SC-400 in need of tires. The dealer says he can put on goodyear eagle gt+4"s for $140 apiece. I don't know if this is a good suggestion. I've have good luck in the past with Pirelli Zero's on my SUV but have had no history with tires on the SC. The car has Michelin Pilots on it now and they went away very quickly. Any advice out there???
Stay far clear of GY Eagle GT+4's not a good choice at all.......what is the exact tire size you need? & what do you look for in a tire? (IE: long treadwear, snow & ice performance, rain, high performance handling, summer only performance or All Seasons, etc). Be as specific as possible & I can give you the best suggestions for your SC.
Old 01-11-05, 04:41 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still trying to get over the fact that you took your car to the dealer for tires. Aren't there a million and one tire shops in your area? I know here in LA there's a tire shop on almost every corner. Why would you go to the dealer for tires????????????? I can't understand that at all. Please please please please only go to the dealer for necessarty items such as parts, real parts...not a quart of oil or an air freshner...and definitely not for tires. Take your car to a tire shop and have the tire guy explain some things to you. It helps when you have tires right there in front of you to look at and you can see how much each one costs. But please...don't buy tires from the dealer..do I sound like a broken record?

I mean, (and please don't take this the wrong way but...) do you have much experience with cars? I've never heard of one single person I know taking their car to the dealer for tires of all things...that's like asking to get reamed. Actually it's like asking with a bullhorn to get reamed. The dealer should be the dead last place you get tires from, and that's only if the dealer owed you some tires for one reason or another.
Old 01-12-05, 05:02 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
I'm still trying to get over the fact that you took your car to the dealer for tires. Aren't there a million and one tire shops in your area? I know here in LA there's a tire shop on almost every corner. Why would you go to the dealer for tires????????????? I can't understand that at all. Please please please please only go to the dealer for necessarty items such as parts, real parts...not a quart of oil or an air freshner...and definitely not for tires. Take your car to a tire shop and have the tire guy explain some things to you. It helps when you have tires right there in front of you to look at and you can see how much each one costs. But please...don't buy tires from the dealer..do I sound like a broken record?

I mean, (and please don't take this the wrong way but...) do you have much experience with cars? I've never heard of one single person I know taking their car to the dealer for tires of all things...that's like asking to get reamed. Actually it's like asking with a bullhorn to get reamed. The dealer should be the dead last place you get tires from, and that's only if the dealer owed you some tires for one reason or another.

A little bit of a broken record mike yes lol I think you got your point across however, if a little 'over the top'.

WGT, let me know your exact tire size & I can help you with some suggestions. I do agree however to find a good tire shop (if you don't know of any, ask friends, family, co-workers etc). Get a 4 wheel alignment as well when you get new tires insatalled.
Old 01-12-05, 08:28 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WGT
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113019

Those tires are Ultra High performance All Season tires. You can look at my sticky ^ above ^ where I rate the best. One good option for a reasonable price in your size is the Conti Extreme Contact, we sell them for $75 plus shipping.
Old 01-12-05, 10:21 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
A little bit of a broken record mike yes lol I think you got your point across however, if a little 'over the top'.
No offense intended, I'm just wondering why the dealer of all the places to get tires at a reasonable price? Perhaps there are no tire shops in that area, or perhaps the member is simply uninformed. Who knows. I do know that you can definitely beat $140 per tire and for better tires than those crappy tires th dealer will push on a person.

Is there a Just Tires or even a Pep Boys in your area? Shop around and do a little reasearch if time permits
Old 01-13-05, 06:57 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
No offense intended, I'm just wondering why the dealer of all the places to get tires at a reasonable price? Perhaps there are no tire shops in that area, or perhaps the member is simply uninformed. Who knows. I do know that you can definitely beat $140 per tire and for better tires than those crappy tires th dealer will push on a person.

Is there a Just Tires or even a Pep Boys in your area? Shop around and do a little reasearch if time permits
Agreed! & there are MUCH better tires to choose from for a lot less money.
Old 01-20-05, 11:15 AM
WGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new at this forum stuff, take it easy on me. The car was in the shop for it's 60,000 mile service and the dealer noticed the tires could use replacing, and made a suggestion. I would never buy tires from the dealer, I'm not that dumb. The car has stock wheels so the tires are 225's. I'm looking for milage tires, had to many tickets when I was younger so sticky is not that big an issue. Yeah I could go to a tire store for advice but I just thought I could get some "real world" advice from the "experts" who own these special cars. I've only had it since November.
Old 01-20-05, 06:15 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

buy toyo!!!!!!!