Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ok! what's offset do i need to get to get this lip??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 11:44 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ok! what's offset do i need to get to get this lip??

whats offset do i need to get this lip for the same wheels (euroline dh). right now i have tein flex, but not installed yet, but might go air runner instead. can anyone help?

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=501&page=2

Last edited by antbo; 12-08-04 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 12:39 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That must be some kind of adjustable suspension system that he drops when parked. If not, I can't see how that car is even drivable with that amount of lowering. Looks cool but not practical, can't even get up the drive at the gas station.
Old 12-08-04, 01:07 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DetMich1
That must be some kind of adjustable suspension system that he drops when parked. If not, I can't see how that car is even drivable with that amount of lowering. Looks cool but not practical, can't even get up the drive at the gas station.
air suspension. is the only way. not driveable at that hieght
Old 12-08-04, 08:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

defintely air suspension. the flex won't even come close i think

no idea on the offset though, i assume on the low side. the offset has little to do with the lip size anyway
Old 12-08-04, 09:48 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

i think you might need fender mod as well
Old 12-08-04, 09:51 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

its cool if i have to mod the fenders. i dont mind
Old 12-08-04, 10:00 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

offset has everything to do with how much lip you will get. lower offset = more lip

Looks like about 9" and 10" with about +20 offsets. rolled fenders, camber and stretched tires are a must

A good site to use that lists their sizes and offsets is http://www.fabulous.co.jp/

Last edited by AME_VIP; 12-08-04 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by TurboTeg
offset has everything to do with how much lip you will get. lower offset = more lip

Looks like about 9" and 10" with about +20 offsets. rolled fenders, camber and stretched tires are a must

A good site to use that lists their sizes and offsets is http://www.fabulous.co.jp/
extremely wrong perception, this is not true. size of lip has mostly to do with the wheel design, the spokes design, the curvature of the spokes, etc... after that then yes the higher the offset the more the lip

if you say it has EVERYTHING to do with offset, then tell me, why my hre 8.5 +32 have about 2" lip, but if you get some other wheels with the same offset, you might only have 1.5". my hre 540r 10+43 in the back, it has 3" lip in the back. why 840r 10+43 has 3.5" lip in the back?

and also, bluelex has 10+4x offset, and he has 4" lip in the back. my old volks av3, it's 9.5 +38 (same as 10+44), but it only has about 2" lip
Old 12-09-04, 10:14 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Yes the design of the wheels is #1 when it comes to how much lip you will get. Not all wheels are created equal. Doesn't everyone know that already? hehe

Second is offset. The LOWER the offset the more lip you will get.
19x10 +20 with have a lot more lip than the same wheel in 19x10 +40
Old 12-10-04, 12:16 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, in fact about 13/16 " more
Old 12-10-04, 12:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yes the design of the wheels is #1 when it comes to how much lip you will get. Not all wheels are created equal. Doesn't everyone know that already? hehe

Second is offset. The LOWER the offset the more lip you will get.
well then in that case i don't think it has everything to do with offset then. it's after spoke design and disk type, then imho it has little to do with it.

you can only go so far out (low offset) before you start rubbing, and unless you do major fender mod (maybe will gain you 10 15mm) or fender flares, most people are facing the same range of offset for the "best" look. given that fact, then the design of the wheel is what determine the lip size the most.

that's just how i see it though
Old 12-11-04, 01:58 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

OK so if a 18 X 10 wheel with a +5 offset has 4.91" lip what if you increase the offset # to +40? would the 35mm change in offset decrease the lip by 35mm? is that whoe it works?

if it's same wheels and same disk type
Old 12-11-04, 02:21 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

OK so if a 18 X 10 wheel with a +5 offset has 4.91" lip what if you increase the offset # to +40? would the 35mm change in offset decrease the lip by 35mm? is that whoe it works?
That would be correct. The disk would be moved toward the outer edge of the wheel by 35mm.
Old 12-11-04, 10:00 PM
OneTonVIP
Driver School Candidate

There are many factors that determine the amount of lip a wheel has... and it's pretty trite to compare lip amounts from different wheels sometimes because, as it has been mentioned, a wheel of one design may inherently have more lip than another due to the curvature of its spokes, or the location of its perimeter mounting flange in relation to the mounting pad, etc etc.

Offset plays a LARGE role in determining the amount of lip a particular wheel has. In fact, it is one of the 3 items that TRULY determines the lip (not the design of the wheel per se, because that would only matter if you were comparing a wheel of one design to a wheel of another design, but there's no real use in doing that); those 3 specs that you need to look at are the wheel's: 1) width, 2) offset, and 3) disk. Now everyone knows what a wheel's width and offset are, but the disk is the part that not too many folks are aware of.

It's the thickness of the wheel's center mounting pad, and a thicker (higher) disk is usually required to push a wheel's spokes out further from the hub, in order to clear larger, wider brake calipers. You can see the difference between a low disk and high disk wheel center in a pic I took of Work's A disk vs. O disk here:

Soooo... what does this ultimately mean besides the higher disk wheel giving you more brake clearance? Well, for two wheels of any given width and offset, the higher disk wheel will always have LESS outside lip. This is because the mounting pad is in the same location on both wheels (hence the same offset), but since the spokes of the higher disk wheel are moved further away from the center (i.e. further out), the amount of outside lip is reduced.

So when going with extreme wheel fitments, the disk is another part you have to look into in order to assure yourself of getting a wheel that will both clear your brakes, and fit well within the confines of your fenderwells, all the while giving you the amount of lip you are looking for. (BTW, ideally, you want to go with as low a disk as possible, to maximize your outer lip. Sometimes, it's even worthwhile going with a lower disk than would fit over your brakes, because the difference between two levels of wheel disks is about 10-12mm, and if you'd only need about 5mm of additional clearance to avoid hitting your brakes, that amount can easily be made up using a simple wheel spacer.)