Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Yet another FIRST EVER on CL??? (got new Dronell BR 20" wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 11:09 PM
OneTonVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What people do when they run wheels of a different PCD, is to run what are usually known as "slugs." They are machined eccentric spacers which adequately fill the lug nut hole on the wheel, and have an offset hole for the wheel studs to go through. This way the wheels are still securely held in place with no gaps anywhere. That is one of the little "secrets" that not too many people mention when then do something like this. Or in some cases, I guess it's just cuz people don't know to do it. Anyway, with the money you have invested in the car, I would recommend you take the car to a machine shop and have them look at what you have to determine whether the wheels' lug nut holes need to be enlarged a tad to accept the slugs or not, and then have them make the adapter slugs.

Also, since you touted the wheel fitment, I find it interesting that a lot of the Toyota/Lexus folks seem to be so much more conservative in this arena, especially when it's not hard to follow the example of some of the modified Toyotas from Japan (the cars are basically the same, so there's no reason someone outside of Japan can't do the same thing they're doing!). I mean everyone else who chimed in thinks that something like the 245 cross section tire on a 9.5" wheel is so super stretched! But I think you guys will start to see some interesting Lexuses (or Lexii?) pop up outside of Japan that would utterly confuse in terms of wheel fitment and stance and visual appearance soon....

EDIT: If you're going to the machine shop in the first place, what you'll want them to do is redrill the holes using the center of the 114.3mm PCD studs as the center axis. What you'll end up with is a hole probably around 16-18mm in size. Then you will need to run slugs, but concentric slugs with an OD to match the 16-18mm, and an ID on the inside hole of 12mm to match your wheel studs. For an extra couple hundred bucks, you will be safe for life... for life....

Last edited by OneTonVIP; 11-09-04 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-10-04, 02:36 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, 1ton! This is exactly the kind of comment I was looking for. My shop did mention they did something custom that involved machining some parts that I wasn't paying attention to. I know, it's my fault, I should have been paying more attention but who could blame me? I was spending the whole time fixing the fenders and coiling down the coilovers that I wasn't really listening to their explanation.

I just "assumed" they were talking about hubcentric rings, but I know now with your explanation that they were not talking abt hubcentric rings.

Once again, thanks a lot, 1ton. Your reply is very much appreciated!

As for the other thing like offsets, I agree with you. But most people here on CL are not into that look and in general are a lot more conservative than me. So things that I do with my car, especially my wheels and suspension stuff, usually come as a shock to the folks here.

-Jon

Originally posted by OneTonVIP
What people do when they run wheels of a different PCD, is to run what are usually known as "slugs." They are machined eccentric spacers which adequately fill the lug nut hole on the wheel, and have an offset hole for the wheel studs to go through. This way the wheels are still securely held in place with no gaps anywhere. That is one of the little "secrets" that not too many people mention when then do something like this. Or in some cases, I guess it's just cuz people don't know to do it. Anyway, with the money you have invested in the car, I would recommend you take the car to a machine shop and have them look at what you have to determine whether the wheels' lug nut holes need to be enlarged a tad to accept the slugs or not, and then have them make the adapter slugs.

Also, since you touted the wheel fitment, I find it interesting that a lot of the Toyota/Lexus folks seem to be so much more conservative in this arena, especially when it's not hard to follow the example of some of the modified Toyotas from Japan (the cars are basically the same, so there's no reason someone outside of Japan can't do the same thing they're doing!). I mean everyone else who chimed in thinks that something like the 245 cross section tire on a 9.5" wheel is so super stretched! But I think you guys will start to see some interesting Lexuses (or Lexii?) pop up outside of Japan that would utterly confuse in terms of wheel fitment and stance and visual appearance soon....

EDIT: If you're going to the machine shop in the first place, what you'll want them to do is redrill the holes using the center of the 114.3mm PCD studs as the center axis. What you'll end up with is a hole probably around 16-18mm in size. Then you will need to run slugs, but concentric slugs with an OD to match the 16-18mm, and an ID on the inside hole of 12mm to match your wheel studs. For an extra couple hundred bucks, you will be safe for life... for life....
Old 11-10-04, 07:59 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fun

Well this has been a fun thread to read. Car looks great no doubt about it.

We used to sell wheels that have a 114.3 circle for cars that have a 115 hubs. We used floating seat lug hardware and that centered the wheel on the stud correctly. Even then, there were some issues and we don't really do that much any more.

If the wheels have in fact been re-machined then (other then problems with that process) there should be no problem with the hardware centering correctly.

If they haven't and you ARE using floating seat hardware 2.3 mm is a stretch, and beyond what we would be comfortable with.

If they haven't and you are using regular conical seat hardware then there are several issues with that including stressing the hardware and/or the studs. It would be impossible to get this wheel perfectly centered. Over time this hardware could work loose and or the stud could strip. Also, the hole could become deformed.

So anyway, this post is for everyone's benefit, jtanoyo1 said they were re-machined and so I guess they were but if you guys are thinking of trying this at home... I would just stick with wheels that have the correct bolt pattern.

After all it's not like 5 x 114 is rare, every Asian vehicle uses it. There are plenty of choices that will give you an aggressive stretched tire look without the potential problems explained above.
Old 11-10-04, 09:04 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fun

Originally posted by Brandon@TR
Well this has been a fun thread to read. Car looks great no doubt about it.

We used to sell wheels that have a 114.3 circle for cars that have a 115 hubs. We used floating seat lug hardware and that centered the wheel on the stud correctly. Even then, there were some issues and we don't really do that much any more.

If the wheels have in fact been re-machined then (other then problems with that process) there should be no problem with the hardware centering correctly.

If they haven't and you ARE using floating seat hardware 2.3 mm is a stretch, and beyond what we would be comfortable with.

If they haven't and you are using regular conical seat hardware then there are several issues with that including stressing the hardware and/or the studs. It would be impossible to get this wheel perfectly centered. Over time this hardware could work loose and or the stud could strip. Also, the hole could become deformed.

So anyway, this post is for everyone's benefit, jtanoyo1 said they were re-machined and so I guess they were but if you guys are thinking of trying this at home... I would just stick with wheels that have the correct bolt pattern.

After all it's not like 5 x 114 is rare, every Asian vehicle uses it. There are plenty of choices that will give you an aggressive stretched tire look without the potential problems explained above.
Huh? I never had the wheels remachined. They did some custom work to make the lugs sit on the studs centered properly. Like i said, I assumed/thought they were talking about hubcentric rings, but apparently that wasn't it. The reason I bought these wheels is because they are rare. So rare in fact I haven't seen another set like it on the street on any car yet so far, and we HAVE plenty of modified cars on the street.

I don't know. I always buy things because of the novelty factor. Like my Aristo, my wheels and my watches.....thanks for the insight, Brandon, but I am comfortable with the buy.
Old 11-10-04, 09:47 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's time to let Jon enjoy his wheels. We've heard from our wheel/tire vendor and from our HRE guru Bob. Sufficient warnings have been posted and all concerned have voiced their opinions to Jon. He has heard them and is comfortable with his purchase. I just feel bad that Jon has to continually defend his position over and over. I don't think continuing to warn him about the wheels will change his mind. He seems to buy wheels every year or so anyway so this whole issue will go away when the next wheel catches his eye.

Again, nice wheels Jon. Like the other "conservatives", I would not have done this but I do enjoy seeing the boundaries you push with your car.

Last edited by Neo; 11-10-04 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 09:51 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
I think it's time to let Jon enjoy his wheels. We've heard from our wheel/tire vendor and from our HRE guru Bob. Sufficient warnings have been posted and all concerned have voiced their opinions to Jon. He has heard them and is comfortable with his purchase. I just feel bad that Jon has to continually defend his position over and over. I don't think continuing to warn him about the wheels will change his mind. He seems to buy wheels every year or so anyway so this whole issue will go away when the next wheel catches his eye.

Again, nice wheels Jon. Like the other "conservatives", I would not have done this but I do enjoy seeing the boundaries you push with your car.
Well said