Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Yet another FIRST EVER on CL??? (got new Dronell BR 20" wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 04:59 PM
GS408
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wheels are nice...but i really like the kit...is that custom?
Old 11-08-04, 05:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by Richie
Jon, listen to Bob, he knows what he is talking about!!!!!
Poor Jon! He was so psyched about getting these VERY, VERY, VERY rare wheels.

Bob's absolutely right (of course he is, it's his living!) about the tapered lug nuts which basically 'lock' into the 'seat' of the stud hole in the rim. Because on these rims they're off by 2.3mm or 1/10" there will be extra stress on the inner edge of the rim hole seat.

Anyway Jon, suggest you get some more local opinions.
Old 11-08-04, 08:28 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, but I did check with a few shops as soon I read these threads and Bob's warnings, but all these shops say the same thing, you can put these wheels on NO problem. The only problem would arise if your studs are somehow hitting the edge of the wheel holes or if you are redrilling the wheels to fit over the studs. None of which was done to my car. These wheels go on the car exactly like how my 5x114.3 AC wheels went on the car, it was really a plug&play affair. I am fairly convinced that I will have no problems at all with them and I am not just saying it so I will feel better abt these wheels. You all know i'd never do such a silly thing as endangering myself and my car's occupants over some silly wheels.....
Old 11-08-04, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Thanks guys, but I did check with a few shops as soon I read these threads and Bob's warnings, but all these shops say the same thing, you can put these wheels on NO problem. The only problem would arise if your studs are somehow hitting the edge of the wheel holes or if you are redrilling the wheels to fit over the studs. None of which was done to my car. These wheels go on the car exactly like how my 5x114.3 AC wheels went on the car, it was really a plug&play affair. I am fairly convinced that I will have no problems at all with them and I am not just saying it so I will feel better abt these wheels. You all know i'd never do such a silly thing as endangering myself and my car's occupants over some silly wheels.....
well it's your choice jon, and no one is forcing you to do anytihng. but all i am going to ask lastly is, those shops you ask, they make wheels? if they can't even tell you the true physics behind wheels making, pressure points on wheels, force directions, rotational mass, turning stress, i don't know how i can value what they say more than what bob says.

maybe the wheels will serve you no problem even until you sell the rims or the car. but that doesn't mean it's done right to me.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by rominl; 11-08-04 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 09:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS408
the wheels are nice...but i really like the kit...is that custom?
yup that's totally custom, first and only one in the world
Old 11-09-04, 05:53 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by jtanoyo1

These wheels match the proportions of the kit so well, the car looks "right" with them mounted. As far as the fitment is concerned, that is the beauty of modding, choices. Without question, SoCal is the authority on fitment so if you choose to keep the wheels on then you are informed of what may be going on. If your shop makes you comfortable then it is your choice.

Just enjoy the new wheels man!
Old 11-09-04, 06:52 AM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

your really rolling the dice with running these,,,,,,,,,the guy from hre is correct absolutely 100%...... i would never run an incorrect firment for my car either.......... ive sold rims for the past seven years and have seen people do it all.......... i definately advise against anyone else on cl doing this........ u have to be getting vibrations at some speed.......... theres just no way for you to have them perfectly centered unless u went in a star pattern a quarter turn at a time which would take forever;,,,,,,,,,,, bottom line its just wrong and i as a rim shop owner strongly recommend u dont do this

not tryin to be a ***** just concerned for your and others safety as well as damage to your nice car

mike
Old 11-09-04, 07:23 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

after looking at these pics, i like these wheels more than the auto couture ones now,
Old 11-09-04, 09:10 AM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

those look tight
Old 11-09-04, 11:23 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default fitment

I hate to chime in negatively but I just called one of my guys at the wheel shop. He said it was not safe to do this. Nothing may never happen but it could. The problem is there would be vibration and eventually the wear could open the holes. He said the best thing to do is have the wheels machined to fit. Down here it costs $45 per wheel. I don't think that's too much to make sure everything fits right.
Again, sorry but we're all just thinking about you...and your car. Don't want anything to happen that could have been avoided. How's that old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure." I think that's how it goes.
Old 11-09-04, 12:06 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

I don;t know as much as any of these wheel guys but all I do know is this car is so serious. I always like to see cars but Jon yours is so sick. Ok now that I am off your nuts shoot me a pm so we can chat about some things
Old 11-09-04, 12:20 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: fitment

Originally posted by reggiek
. He said the best thing to do is have the wheels machined to fit. Down here it costs $45 per wheel. I don't think that's too much to make sure everything fits right. .
This just gave me an idea, I have heard that alot of shops simply buy a PCD and re-drill it to fit, so perhaps these where orginally stocked in MB PCD (112) and redrilled to fit Lexus PCD (114.3). There are even a few CL members with re-drilled wheels (like DPR Supra- 20" Brabus on SC430).

That would explain why the wheels went straight on.
Old 11-09-04, 07:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Re: fitment

Originally posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
This just gave me an idea, I have heard that alot of shops simply buy a PCD and re-drill it to fit, so perhaps these where orginally stocked in MB PCD (112) and redrilled to fit Lexus PCD (114.3). There are even a few CL members with re-drilled wheels (like DPR Supra- 20" Brabus on SC430).

Could be. I had some wheels once that had been re-drilled. You can tell it's been done. There will be an adapter piece in each hole. Machining stetches out the hole. Then you'll need to reform the holes with the circular shaped adapters. Works well but you can tell it's been done when looking at it from the back side.
Old 11-09-04, 07:39 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Nope, this came straight off a Benz. In fact I even got the pic of the Benz that used to have these wheels.

By the way, really thanks for your concern you guys, but I am not in the least bit worried. Many, and I MEAN MANY MANY people, have done this here, and I was also researching on a lot of Japanese websites, and in fact, a lot of Japanese folks do the same exact thing, and they are completely fine with it. I know you guys are just concerned for my well-being, but I've done enough talking/phoning/researching to feel absolutely comfortable with these wheels.
Old 11-09-04, 08:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

could very well be. i wouldn't be surprised if that's how they got the wheels to fit

Quick Reply: Yet another FIRST EVER on CL??? (got new Dronell BR 20" wheels)