Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

ENDLESS vs BREMBO vs STOPTECH vs ROTORA.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-04, 02:14 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the clarification guys. I guess the StopTech Gen 1 calipers (which includes the ones L-sportline repackaged) were made by this Taiwan company while the current Gen 2 ones are sourced elsewhere.
Old 11-06-04, 06:34 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it really matter? or is it simply interesting brake market trivia?
Old 11-06-04, 08:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by morris
Does it really matter? or is it simply interesting brake market trivia?
well i think no one is really trying to say it matters or not, at lesat me. i was just talking about histroy
Old 11-06-04, 08:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
OneTonVIP & Rominl are right on with the info.. Being sponsored by Rotora, I have heard the whole caliper story a few times now and most recently was at Sema a few days ago. Steve Ganz and I had dinner with one of the main guys at Rotora... It seems to be a very heated inside argument between the two companies ever sine Rotora started pushing their own line. The Taiwanese company did in fact build the calipers for Rotora, Stoptech and many other OEM manufactures. Rotora continues to have their calipers built by their Taiwanese company but uses Rotora's name, engineering and design. Stoptech has indeed changed companies building the calipers, which maybe is why they do alot of stuff in house. That also may account for the 2-4 week wait when ordering a BBK from them. Ever since Rotora started pushing their own line, Stoptech has had some bad blood with them... Even when Rotora explained to Stoptech that there were design changes (bolts, pins, materials), Stoptech still wasn't happy. Regardless of all this information, Rotora has struggled to get out fo the shadow of Stoptech. However, things are changing. Since Rotora is coming from a drift-racing background, they are using race technology for the street applications that other BB companies are not doing. Simple things like bolt placement and new high grade metals are being used. Furthermore, Rotora has been heavily involved in trying to get a full line up of products ( 4, mini 4, 6, 8 piston setups) for many vehicles. Starting in 2005, Rotora will now be extending their products to a variety of Trucks and SUV's. Also watch for a new line of colors.

Anyway, keep your eyes open sometime in early '05 for a brake shootout hosted by Sport Compact. Rotora has already asked to be apart of the friendly competition between other BB companies.
And for bragging rights, here is the largest BBK kit out so far...as i was told. Pic taken 11/2/04

Rotora's 8 PISTON Caliper with a 407mm rotor (16").

ok man, now you saying that next yr i would see 8 pots rotora for teh GS? ok, maybe it's time for me to save up

how about 8 in the front and 6 in the back

Last edited by rominl; 11-06-04 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-06-04, 09:16 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
ok man, now you saying that next yr i would see 8 pots rotora for teh GS? ok, maybe it's time for me to save up

how about 8 in the front and 6 in the back
LMAO... Easy big guy, that application is for the H2 bro...
Old 11-06-04, 09:44 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
well i think no one is really trying to say it matters or not, at lesat me. i was just talking about histroy
Okay, I wasnt sure if we were syaing there was a quality or performance differnce.
Old 11-07-04, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
LMAO... Easy big guy, that application is for the H2 bro...
man that's no fun i want the 8/6 setup for the CAR that i am getting soon
Old 11-07-04, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by morris
Okay, I wasnt sure if we were syaing there was a quality or performance differnce.
ah ic. seriously, i don't think it's anywhere easy to really put down all the kits and say which is better and which is not. i really think they all have goods and bads, so to certain extend it's about personal choices in the end
Old 11-08-04, 04:50 PM
OneTonVIP
Driver School Candidate

There's always been a stigma associated with taiwanese-produced parts... people basically think they're all crap. But that's definitely not true; at least not anymore. With the amount of $$ going into these plants in taiwan, they now have newer, and more advanced machinery and manufacturing processes than many other countries. So what it comes down to is whether the part was made in taiwan with the intent to be cheap crap or not. Unfortunately, a lot of people still go to taiwan to make doo doo parts, and that's what we end up associating with anything made from that part of the world. But you gotta realize that when you choose to have a big manuf. in taiwan make something for you, you are given the choice in varying grades of quality... A, B, C, etc. Lots of companies chose C and below just because their main concern is to save costs so that they can move as much product as possible w/o any care about the quality of the stuff they're selling. BUT, you also have the option of having that same taiwanese manuf to produce higher quality stuff for you... like stoptech. Their brake components were, and still are, pretty dang good quality. Rotora's, on the other hand (and this is coming from the same place), weren't as good.

Point is, you can't just assume that when something is made in taiwan that it's going to be of poor quality, BUT you should be a little more wary of it and try to delve a little deeper to see whether it is actually a good taiwanese product, or a crappy taiwanese product.
Old 11-08-04, 08:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

very well said, even if it's from taiwan the quality isn't necessarily bad. granted though, you do see a much wider range of quality from taiwanese stuff than japanese stuff. as long as you know who you are dealing with and willing to pay the price you get better quality stuff. but keep in mind, you NEED to know who you dealing with. if you are just willing to pay the price, more than likely you are just going to let people rip you off more with crappy stuff (i am chinese, so i know how it goes..)
Old 11-08-04, 08:51 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys..all these are simple econ 101..goods are produced where the labor costs less(and still try to retain the optimal quality)...

many forged JDM outtrims are sourced outside japan so the maker can achieve the the best cost factor..

oh, and many many high-tech lap tops and computers are from places such as china and taiwan..i do agree there area always exceptions...just shop carefully and wisely
Old 11-09-04, 06:28 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Yes I agree 100%! Many people have a mindset if its made in Taiwan it means the quality sucks. I'm glad I started this thread, alot of info that I am learning about BBK..

GS4WILL, hey man, how the hell are ya? I haven't spoken to you in the longest !!
Old 11-09-04, 10:50 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey D-man...fine and you?? it has been a while..and you car has come along very nicely
Old 11-10-04, 07:40 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4Will
hey D-man...fine and you?? it has been a while..and you car has come along very nicely
Hey , thanks William ! I remember when I bought the Bilstein shocks from you years ago, glad that I met you when I first got my lex, you are the one stop source of lexus knowledge!