Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Good V rated all season rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 12:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good V rated all season rubber?

Well it's that time of year, my Dulop SP5000's lasted a nominal 30k miles. Any other recommendations? The folks at tire barn recommended a v rated Toyo TPT? It has a 60k tread life warranty!? Also I see tirerack has THis for just 63 bucks a tire:

Continental ContiExtremeContact
(Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Old 09-23-04, 10:44 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

ES3, have a look at the posts on this tire forum as I have commented on them MANY times......the Toyo Proxes TPT's are THE choice in an excellent all season performance tire........awesome & I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
Old 09-23-04, 10:46 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
ES3, have a look at the posts on this tire forum as I have commented on them MANY times......the Toyo Proxes TPT's are THE choice in an excellent all season performance tire........awesome & I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
Hey thanks, you don't work for Toyo, do ya? Curious how you'd compare them to anything else you've used? Do you really get 65,000 miles out of them???
Old 09-24-04, 10:37 AM
Plum
Rookie

I put Goodyear GT HR's on my '97 ES almost a year ago.
Tire has been great.
Handles good on dry and wet.
Good it light snow.
Don't see much wear after 10,000 miles.

Let us know what you end up getting.
Old 09-24-04, 01:41 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Nope, I'm not an employee for Toyo ES3 lol I just like using the best stuff on my 01 ES whether it be oil, fluids, tires, gasoline, tint, etc. I'm VERY fussy as to what I put on my car & do A LOT of research on stuff before I make an important decision including tires. With proper maintenance (correct tire pressure, alignment & rotations) you will get the advertised mileage. I have about 10,000 miles on my Toyo's & hardly any sign of wear & they are just awesome in ALL weather conditions. Good Luck. I have recommended them for months & several members here & on the Lexusownersclub.com have also put them on their cars & are quite happy with them.
Old 09-24-04, 10:23 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Nope, I'm not an employee for Toyo ES3 lol I just like using the best stuff on my 01 ES whether it be oil, fluids, tires, gasoline, tint, etc. I'm VERY fussy as to what I put on my car & do A LOT of research on stuff before I make an important decision including tires. With proper maintenance (correct tire pressure, alignment & rotations) you will get the advertised mileage. I have about 10,000 miles on my Toyo's & hardly any sign of wear & they are just awesome in ALL weather conditions. Good Luck. I have recommended them for months & several members here & on the Lexusownersclub.com have also put them on their cars & are quite happy with them.
Hey Freak, thanks a bunch, glad to see such a good response. Honestly, I've LOVED the ride and handling as well as lack of noise level of my Dunlop's... but 35k tread life has GOT to go!
Just curious where you bought them and what price you got?
Old 09-26-04, 07:59 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

I got them at my tire shop in Toronto called superior tire. I paid $130 canadian funds per tire installed, balanced with new valve stems. Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment & invest in a digital tire pressure gauge.....they are worth their weight in gold!! Less than $10 for a good one. Did you have a look to see if the Yokohama Avid V4S come in your size?

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 09-26-04 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-26-04, 09:02 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I got them at my tire shop in Toronto called superior tire. I paid $130 canadian funds per tire installed, balanced with new valve stems. Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment & invest in a digital tire pressure gauge.....they are worth their weight in gold!! Less than $10 for a good one. Did you have a look to see if the Yokohama Avid V4S come in your size?
Did your shop price match anyone? That seems like a pretty good rate, they're about 94 bucks U.S. here in town, but I'm going to price match. What PSI do you leave all 4 at? I typically go 32psi.

Regarding the Yokohama, I am able to get Yokohama AVS dB S2--- for my size they actually run cheaper than the Toyo's at only 72 bucks a tire U.S. Would you recommend them as a close 2nd to the Toyo's?

Here's the link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...g=ZR&x=17&y=12
Old 09-26-04, 07:11 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im using the Continentals on my car... was using Michelins before....

I think its pretty good, happy with it so far, although it tends to be very 'squeaky' in those multi-story
carparks ... much more noise than the other cars... dont know why.

tim
Old 09-28-04, 10:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

What Conti's are you using tim??
Old 09-28-04, 10:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

I did a lot of price shopping actually before I decided to go with Superior tire......several mambers of my family also have since purchased tires there includine my wife. I put them at 34 psi which give me excellent fuel economy & still a comfortable ride with the factory AVS suspension. I've heard mixed things about the Yokohama AVS db S2's you mention both good & bad but I personally have no experence with that specific tire. I think steviej has then on his ES, perhaps PM him to see how he likes them. All I know is I love my Toyo's & the V4S are an excellent choice too! The Falken Ziex ZE-512 are a very good 'economy' performancew tire with a 60,000 mile warranty too......so if money is a concern you might want to seriously consider them as well.....I put them on my wife's leased Ford Focus ZX5 & she has nothing but good things to say about them especially in a hard rain storm! Suppose to be awesome in the snow as well.......we shall see in a few months.
Old 09-28-04, 04:10 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a long tread life in a V rated performance all season tire check out the BFG traction TA. It has a 60K tread life warranty and excellent ride quality.
Old 09-28-04, 09:22 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,

im using the conti extreme contact..
love the v-type thread..
bought it from tirerack...cheap. hehe...
Old 09-28-04, 10:57 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I did a lot of price shopping actually before I decided to go with Superior tire......several mambers of my family also have since purchased tires there includine my wife. I put them at 34 psi which give me excellent fuel economy & still a comfortable ride with the factory AVS suspension. I've heard mixed things about the Yokohama AVS db S2's you mention both good & bad but I personally have no experence with that specific tire. I think steviej has then on his ES, perhaps PM him to see how he likes them. All I know is I love my Toyo's & the V4S are an excellent choice too! The Falken Ziex ZE-512 are a very good 'economy' performancew tire with a 60,000 mile warranty too......so if money is a concern you might want to seriously consider them as well.....I put them on my wife's leased Ford Focus ZX5 & she has nothing but good things to say about them especially in a hard rain storm! Suppose to be awesome in the snow as well.......we shall see in a few months.
Great info... hey doesn't Lexus recommend 32psi? Have you always gone 34psi?
Old 09-29-04, 11:30 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

32 is what they suggest yes.....2 more psi won't do anything really.....I have watched closely of any abnormal treadwear & the tires are perfect & wearing just fine.