Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

18 inch Lowenhart LD1 Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 10:58 AM
sp85800
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 18 inch Lowenhart LD1 Rims

Hello CL members,
I usually just read the forum but have always been afraid to ask a question fearing the it might be perceived as dumb. Well today I have decided to ask and hope to get a response. I have 2003 Lexus LS430 ULTRA with 5500 miles. I know it has a air suspension and I am looking to move up to 18in tires and Lowenhart LD1 rims. I have seen a number of threads indicating that you must lower the car by using springs if I am correct to give the car a better look when you move up in tire size. Well here are my questions
1) If the ULTRA has an air suspension, how do you lower the car?
2) What would be the best all weather tire to use (I live in Brooklyn NY)?
3) Will I the ride suffer dramatically moving up 1 tire size? I really like that comfortable ride
the 17's

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old 09-22-04, 12:14 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ride on 18"s

You should be O.K with 18"inch wheels, but i lived up in Teaneck,NJ and Hackensack,NJ and wouldn't keep the 18"s on in the winter cold months. I would use the 17"inch wheels you got with the car when you purchased it from November-March. The 18"s shold be cool but lowering isn't a must. I say buy the 18"s and see how the look first then make your choice you don't want to mess with the air suspension your car came with because of the warranty.I prefer my ride of my 16" inch whells better than my 19"inch wheels. I wish i never purchased the 19's know but hay. The ride will be different but not drastic, you will notice it. GOS IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by usermel; 09-22-04 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-22-04, 12:48 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

if you have the air suspention.. cant you lower the car by simply doing a software upgrade? i dont think any parts need to be replaced.. i know this is the case with the merc air suspentions?? anyone know?
Old 09-23-04, 05:33 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey neighbor. Don't we have nice, smooth roads in Brooklyn? No, probably not. And that is why I was told to stay away from Lowenhart wheels. D2AUTOSPORT is the one who told me they have soft inner core and will bend on our wonderfull Brooklyn roads. He sells some nice stuff though, including the Lowenharts, so check with him. He suggested I get the Work wheels, apparently they are stronger than Lowenhart. I am interested in 18s as well. No air suspension. I have sport suspension on my LS430.
Old 09-23-04, 06:12 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink The only dumb question is a question not asked...

Originally posted by sp85800

1) If the ULTRA has an air suspension, how do you lower the car?
2) What would be the best all weather tire to use (I live in Brooklyn NY)?
3) Will I the ride suffer dramatically moving up 1 tire size? I really like that comfortable ride the 17's
1) You could either swap out the air suspension for a coilover or spring/shock setup, but you'll lose the
options that came with having air suspension. Or you could install an air suspension controller module
from Japan that will let you lower your car even further than the stock OEM setting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=123664
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=125979

2) The best all season tire IMHO that I would recommend (if you're looking for ultra high performance
tires) are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. If you're just looking for a good all season tire, then you might want to consider Michelin Hydroedge.

3) You shouldn't feel too much of a difference moving up from 17s to 18s, as long as you're going with a
quality set of tires that give a comfortable ride. It'll mostly depend on how much wider of a wheel you go with (compared to stock width) and the thickness of the tire's sidewall (thinner sidewall = less comfort and vice versa)..

Last edited by BR1AN; 09-23-04 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 07:29 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by audphile1
Hey neighbor. Don't we have nice, smooth roads in Brooklyn? No, probably not. And that is why I was told to stay away from Lowenhart wheels. D2AUTOSPORT is the one who told me they have soft inner core and will bend on our wonderfull Brooklyn roads. He sells some nice stuff though, including the Lowenharts, so check with him. He suggested I get the Work wheels, apparently they are stronger than Lowenhart. I am interested in 18s as well. No air suspension. I have sport suspension on my LS430.
I drive in brooklyn all the time.. I had 20" Lowenhart LD5's on my sc all you have to do is go around the pot holes.. Its not hard just dont hit them.. Avoid driving drunk, at night, when it rains anyone of those or a combination of things can lead to bent rims.. I bent 18" Lowenhart BR5's before so be ez out there

Last edited by DeniskaGS4; 09-23-04 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 07:35 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Default Re: The only dumb question is a question not asked...

Originally posted by BR1AN
1) You could either swap out the air suspension for a coilover or spring/shock setup, but you'll lose the
options that came with having air suspension. Or you could install an air suspension controller module
from Japan that will let you lower your car even further than the stock OEM setting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=123664
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=125979

2) The best all season tire IMHO that I would recommend (if you're looking for ultra high performance
tires) are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. If you're just looking for a good all season tire, then you might want to consider Michelin Hydroedge.

3) You shouldn't feel too much of a difference moving up from 17s to 18s, as long as you're going with a
quality set of tires that give a comfortable ride. It'll mostly depend on how much wider of a wheel you go with (compared to stock width) and the thickness of the tire's sidewall (thinner sidewall = less comfort and vice versa)..
Do they make an air suspention controller for a 04+ LS430 with the UL(AirSuspention)? Where can I buy it here in the states. I have a 05 ul car on order if I decide to go with aftermarket wheels i would really like to lower it via this method?
Old 09-23-04, 07:39 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Default Re: Re: The only dumb question is a question not asked...

Originally posted by DeniskaGS4
Do they make an air suspention controller for a 04+ LS430 with the UL(AirSuspention)? Where can I buy it here in the states. I have a 05 ul car on order if I decide to go with aftermarket wheels i would really like to lower it via this method?
I doubt you'll be able to buy it anywhere in the states, but I'm pretty sure they already have something for '04-'05s in Japan.
Old 09-24-04, 12:56 PM
sp85800
Driver School Candidate

Smile WORK Euroline DH

Hello again Club Lexus Members,

Thank you for your responses, they were very informative. Well since the lowering and Lowenhart LD1's won't work. I am thinking about going with WORK Euroline DH in 18in in chrome

WORK Euroline DH

Also I have attached a image of what it would look like on an LS430.

Once again I would like you opinions

Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails 18 inch Lowenhart LD1 Rims-photo_euroline_dh_large_02.jpg  
Old 09-25-04, 12:10 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Default Re: WORK Euroline DH

Thank you for your responses, they were very informative. Well since the lowering and Lowenhart LD1's won't work. I am thinking about going with WORK Euroline DH in 18in in chrome

WORK Euroline DH

Thank you very much
One of my all time fave wheels....you can never go wrong with the DH's.
Old 09-25-04, 05:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Re: WORK Euroline DH

WORK Euroline DH

Thank you very much
That looks great
Old 09-26-04, 11:43 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Default related question

I have a 2001 LS430 Euro tuned edition that I bought used. It came with ugly dull rims that are 16".

Could I have some opinions on what would be best for a new set of rims and tires (ie size 16, 17, or 18") and type of tire. I am going to keep the 16" crappy rims on for snow driving this year, so I'm looking into the future. I would like a mix of performance and quietness.

Thanks, Fred
Old 09-28-04, 09:05 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

I may be selling my '01 stock 17s with tires. I am getting 18s. Figured I don't need to sets.
Old 09-28-04, 09:10 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Selling stock 17"s?

Audiophile, how much are you selling stock 17"s for? GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Old 09-28-04, 06:20 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

I have Michelin energy on them now. about 35% tread life in them. good for dry weather driving I would say for about 10,000 miles more, but not for snow and winter driving. the rims are in pretty good condition with some minor curb rash around edges, but no scratches in any other part of rim. i can take pictures and send them to you if you'd like. I would like to get about $600 and buyer pays s&h. let me know if u r interested. they are whole lot better then the 16s...

Quick Reply: 18 inch Lowenhart LD1 Rims