Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HRE vs. Iforged

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-04, 08:56 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HRE vs. Iforged

Hey guys, Looking into selling my Giovanna's for some new rims, either going with the Iforged Aero or the HRE 545r Series in 20" staggered.

I know D2 sells the Iforged, and can get them for somewhere around 3k for a set of 20" staggered Aero's, but what would be the equivalent price for HRE's?

What, if any are the differences in quality between the two manufacturers?
Old 09-11-04, 10:18 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering that a standard 8.5/10 setup is 6500 list, you might be able to get it for low to mid 5ks if you know someone. It is a big step (pricewise) from I-Forged. Strength-wise, I think both are nice and durable wheels. It is up to you to decide which marque adorns your car.
Old 09-12-04, 12:25 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

As far as image goes, HRE are the Enzo of wheels. While other wheels are good, they'll always come 2nd. If your wallet can take the hit, HRE all the way.

Last edited by mr who; 09-12-04 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-12-04, 07:55 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well i think there where a couple threads b4 explaining some differences but from what i know and have heard and seen at shows or meets both r really good quality wheels. very strong and great looking. but u must talk about 3pc vs. 3pc so i think the i-forged 3pc r a little more than u mentioned. both have had some finish issues here and there. both come in some great styles but like mr who said HRE r like the star bucs of the world. if u'r caught up in names than go for the HRE's. but u can get a 2pc i-forged wheel with bbk clearance and still have a really nice lip up front and with the 2pc u can get a juicey lip in the rear 3-3.6 inches where with the hre u basically get the standard lip in the rear of 2.75-3 inches. i've seen the i-forged areo 2pc in person(johnee78's car) with the big rear lip and man its just crazy. hre's r the monsters(in a good way) of the wheel world but i-forged r the best bang for the buck imo....a group buy is coming next week on i-forged from D2 so mayb wait a bit for that to come...
Old 09-12-04, 08:17 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

As others have mentioned, any attempt to degrade the brand equity of HRE is pointless. They are regarded as "the" premier forged wheel company, and have built that reputation over time. With that being said, I find iForged to be an excellent alternative. I have always thought of iForged as the Lexus of forged wheels. When Lexus was introduced, it was a little known brand, from a unfounded luxury marque. But they offered a great product at a great price with great customer service, and they have carved their niche. In my opinion a quality product, with a wide array of fitment options, and a reasonable price (especially 2pc), is a good combination.

I also like the fact that the 2pc arrangement allows for more flexibility on lip sizes, (ie my 3.4" lip). I like the fact that every millimeter of offset has a corresponding effect on lip size, which is not the case on 3pc wheels. I was contemplating going to a 3pc 10.5 rr at one time, until I learned that my rear lip would actually be SMALLER with the 3pc.

In the past, both companies have experienced finish and materials issues, but that is a small facet of the mass production process.

In the end, it is all contingent upon your taste and budget! Good luck!
Old 09-12-04, 09:08 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
Considering that a standard 8.5/10 setup is 6500 list, you might be able to get it for low to mid 5ks if you know someone. It is a big step (pricewise) from I-Forged. Strength-wise, I think both are nice and durable wheels. It is up to you to decide which marque adorns your car.
Haha, well I knew HRE is the absolute top dog of the wheel industry, I just didnt think there was that big a gap in price, and there is no way I can drop 5-6k on wheels.... Eh, I love the Aero's, 2pc, rivets, in full polish, beautiful wheels. They are still awesome wheels, and forged too, so i guess thats what its going to be.
Old 09-12-04, 11:21 AM
octane300
Lead Lap

I've had my set of Aeros for nearly a year now and I couldn't be happier with them. I've had no problems at all and I get LOTS of compliments on them. The ONLY thing I would change on the Aeros is the center caps. The Iforged logo on the center caps appear to be faded into a light grey color. I prefer the logo to be jet black. I called Iforged about this, but they said that is how the center caps are supposed to be .

Maybe one day I'll send the caps to a wheel shop to have the logos colored in a little better. But other than that, for Iforged Aeros!

DN
Old 09-19-04, 06:05 PM
Dislexic
Rookie

To me they are about the same. At that level, the differences in quality are negligible.
Old 09-19-04, 11:21 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Get your Iforged from D2-Autosport! He took great care of my 1st gen brotha " Johnee78".