Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Need Advice: Tires Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-04, 01:25 PM
tonytony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: Tires Squeal

Hello all again,

I feel like i'm always asking questions and never contributing anything substantial =). But here we are again...with more questions.... Actually, I'm afraid my question might be retarded, but I couldn't find anything using the almighty "SEARCH"..so..here we go....

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the amount of tire squeal when I take turns in the ES. Can it be my tire pressure and i need to fix that? I just recently has my 45,000 inspection from the dealer themselves and everything checked out okay (according to them), so I'm thinking its not that. Switch tires from OEM? New suspension? Sway bars? Or just a good ole smack upside the head and the following "Stop taking turns so hard"?

On a side note, I do realize I *may* take turns a little too hard, and at times, I feel the ES is jumpy...sometimes where I'm like *woah* on the rear (almost feels like the rear would *swing out* from under me). Is there something I can do about that? Or again with the good ole smack upside the head and the following "Stop taking turns so hard"? =)

I know the ES is not meant for performance/handling like a GS or IS, but still....

any thoughts?

hopefully besides
Old 08-18-04, 01:51 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. dont take turns too fast
2. you may have a lack of tire pressure -- fill those guys up
Old 08-18-04, 02:37 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in addition to mcelligot's post...

get a softer compound tire
Old 08-18-04, 04:12 PM
tonytony
Driver

dang it!

=)

hmm...softer compound? How do I know what to look for?
Old 08-18-04, 08:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by tonytony
dang it!

=)

hmm...softer compound? How do I know what to look for?
What tires do you have now? H rated tires are prone to squealing. You may want to look into V rated tires that have a softer compound for better handling/performance.
Old 08-18-04, 09:46 PM
iammikey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't a strut tower bar help keep his car tracking better in turns and then reduce the tire squeal as well?
I also thought that less air will give better traction. I always air my truck down when Off-Roading. It not only provides a smoother ride, but adds a lot of traction.
Old 08-18-04, 11:23 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VTEC that baby.
Old 08-19-04, 05:33 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

How do you find the alignment on your car? Are the tires wearing evenly & what type of tires do you have now? Finally, what tire pressure are you setting them at?
Old 08-19-04, 06:57 AM
tonytony
Driver

Thanks for all the replies. I will try my best to answer this...

As for my current tires, I think I have V rated rated tires., specifically, Michelin MXV4-A Plus 205/60R16 91V is what it says on the sidewall. Alignment is perfect, my other cars that I've driven has pretty bad alignment so I *know*, I can let go of the wheel going 20-30mph and it will go straight on itself for a bit. I just recently had my 45K thing with my dealership, and I remember that the tires are actually NOT wearing evenly, just off by a bit i want to say. I think i want to say my rear right is wearing more so than any other tires, with my front right next worst. I can be more sure..but i have to pull documentation. Finally, tire pressue, I have no idea....I wouldn't even have the stuff to check the psi.

VTEC?? How would having a VTEC engine help me?

Last edited by tonytony; 08-19-04 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 11:42 AM
spray004
Driver School Candidate

Could be worn out tires. I remember my truck tires squeeling because they were about gone. You could get a softer compound, but you in return you give up tire life. Sounds like you drive pretty hard. If you bought a softer tire, your tires will go out pretty quick. That jump in the car you feel is when your tires are holding as much grip as possible. You probably hit some sort of bump in the pavement and it loses grip. I love that feeling. Its fun to kick the back end sideways, something fwd dont do often. Since your car is fwd and tends to "push", your front tires are wearing a lot faster than your rear.
Old 08-19-04, 11:51 AM
tonytony
Driver

Here is my wear from about a month ago

Left Front - 4/32
Left Rear at 4/32

Right Front - 4/32
Right Rear at 7/32
Old 08-19-04, 03:35 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty well worn down. I think MXV4's have about 10/32" tread depth new. I also have a set of MXV4 Plus's ( with about 6/32" remaining), and they do chirp from time to time when cornering.
Old 08-19-04, 06:51 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree those tires are almost worn down to be determined as unsafe for driving. If the tread depth reaches less than 2/32" (or below the top edge of Abe's head from the penny test), the tires need to be replaced ASAP. Since you're really close to that critical tread depth, you mind as well think about replacing all of the tires now. Do you have any thoughts on your tire purchase?
Old 08-19-04, 07:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by tonytony
Thanks for all the replies. I will try my best to answer this...

As for my current tires, I think I have V rated rated tires., specifically, Michelin MXV4-A Plus 205/60R16 91V is what it says on the sidewall. Alignment is perfect, my other cars that I've driven has pretty bad alignment so I *know*, I can let go of the wheel going 20-30mph and it will go straight on itself for a bit. I just recently had my 45K thing with my dealership, and I remember that the tires are actually NOT wearing evenly, just off by a bit i want to say. I think i want to say my rear right is wearing more so than any other tires, with my front right next worst. I can be more sure..but i have to pull documentation. Finally, tire pressue, I have no idea....I wouldn't even have the stuff to check the psi.

VTEC?? How would having a VTEC engine help me?
Michelin MXV4's are definitely comfort tires that are known to squeal. They are fairly quiet as long as you're cruising at regular speeds. It is definitely time to find a new set of tires considering the mileage you have. I would recommend Michelin Pilot XGTH4 or V4's for replacements if you don't wanna go back to the Michelin MXV4's or the EnergyMXV4's. Look it up on the Michelin.com site to find the best tire for you.

Don't worry about the VTEC comment. That's a pointless comment that should have been deleted.
Old 08-19-04, 09:34 PM
tonytony
Driver

Thanks for the replies, so you all thinking but replacing the tires it would help me with my grip issues?

I was thinking about the thread and thinking that its kinda down, but I was waiting until my new rims came in and then wrap some 18"s on it. I definitly want to get new tires for my OEM wheels since I wouldn't be riding my 18s in the winter time. i'm thinking about getting 16s that would be great for winter yet at the same time be okay enough for me to roll in during the summer time for emergency purposes if I blow a tire or something with my 18s. Would the Michelin Pilot XGTH4 or V4's do that for me?

About the VTEC..yeah..i read up on that..and I figured it was a joke or something.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Tires Squeal