Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

big wheels or not?- the age old question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 04:59 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default big wheels or not?- the age old question!

I have a 92 LS400 which is about to have major suspension and engine work done to make it tip top condition. Now, what should I do about the wheels?

I have aftermarket 5 spoke 15" wheels with 205/65 tyres, which are badly kerbed and are starting to corrode around the centre caps. I really LOVE the pillow soft ride of the 15s, but I have a few options..

a) Refurb the existing wheels
b) Get original Mk1 Lexus wheels
c) Upgrade to larger wheels - if so, best size for speedo accuracy and still keeping a smooth ride , 16s?

I've read a lot of postings, but am still confused. Can I get 18s and still have 95% of the smoothness of the ride?
Old 08-02-04, 09:41 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up I think!

You should refurbish the wheels you have now. Or get 16" or 17" lexus factory wheels. Check out this site in America for wheel choices. WWW.AAARIMS.COM, I have learned the only way to keep a smooth ride is with smaller wheels. The highest you should go is 18" for the smooth ride your looking for and 18" is pushing it. HE'S AN ON TIME GOD.
Old 08-02-04, 10:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Smooth, cushy rides require more rubber. Connected-to-the-road and better handling require less rubber. I know it is a gross generalization but it is the basic idea. Now, you may be able to live with the less soft ride of the larger 17s or 18s to benefit form a better handler and (IMHO) better looks. That is your call though. Everyone's tolerances are different.

Are there other members nearby with larger wheels or can you test drive a car at the dealership with the larger wheels? I realize that it is not comparing apples to apples since the newer cars have different specs but you should be able to get an inkling of the different ride feel with your 15s.

Since you asked about the smooth (and I assume soft) ride, I would also stay away from 19s and 20s.
Old 08-02-04, 12:25 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Your right Neo!

True indeed Neo. I have 19" wheels on my 2001 LS430. In the spring and summer i put on my 19" aftermarkets. In the late fall and the winter i put on my 16 inch wheels for a safer smoother ride due to the more harsh weather. Brit might want to take your advice and compare with folks overseas and see if they can give him an idea of the differences. I like the quiet ride of the smaller wheels. But like you said Neo, the look is much better with a bigger wheel, rather chrome or alloy. And performance wise i notice the bigger wheel on the LS430, makes it perform better. And the LS is a conservative driving car by nature so thats saying alot. Its about what each individual prefers, and i prefer the changing up of my wheels 2 times a year for both types of rides. HE'S AN ON TIME GOD.

Last edited by usermel; 08-02-04 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 06:45 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default big wheels

I happen to like the big wheels...really looks good on an LS. I can understand wanting to keep a comfy ride though. A good compromise would be to not go over 18's. You can get a nice ride with a big look with 18's. Main thing is to get quality tires with big wheels. I have 19 in Michelins and my car feels the same as the 16's that came on the car. I couldn't say that with the other tires I had.
Old 08-03-04, 05:42 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I have driven numerous other cars/vans which are more modern than my Lex with much larger wheels, and they drive good and the handling is vastly better than the Lex, and they feel pretty smooth.

However, when I jump back in the Lex I'm shocked at how little road noise and how absorbent the ride is compared to the other more modern car.

I recently had a loaner which was a brand new BMW 318i fitted with Bridgestone Turanzas 235/45 17, and the ride quality was very compromised. Just before that I had driven a BMW 318Ci which had 225/50 16s and the ride quality was so much softer than the other beemer.

I do agree with you that the LS looks amazing with big rims. I guess I will have to try and find a UK owner who has fitted 18s and see how it rides, or perhaps visit one of you guys next time I'm in the US!!!!