Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rims and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-04, 08:39 AM
Joeblack77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rims and Tires

Whats up everyone?

I'm new to this site. I have a question to ask. I currently own a 2001 GS300. This has been my dream car since I first saw it and last year I was able to buy one. Now I'm in the position where I can put some rims on this beauty. I have seen alot the cars in the gallery with the dubs on them. I want the same look.
Right now Im'm stuck between getting 20's or 18's because I love the way the cars rides.
My question is, will my cars performance change drastically if I put Dubs on my GS 300.?
Old 07-13-04, 09:21 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default wheels

My advisc is to get quality wheels that fit right and quality tires that drive right. If you try to cut corners you'll just be looking to upgrade in a short while. Most of us modders change after a while but don't let it be because you didn't do it right. Most GS guys I know sport 20's. 19's might give you a little more comfort. 18's may look too small on a GS. Personally I prefer Michelin tires because imo they are the best all around tire. There are some that will give better grip, some a little more quiet. None does everything combined the way Michelin does. Good luch and ask lots of questions.

Edit: Forgot to answer the question. Performance wheels will alter the ride of the car...for the better if you do it right. That's why you need to tell people what you're looking for and ask lots of questions. Personally, I prefer comfort, quiet, wide, stable, quick steering response and shiney.

Last edited by Ice350; 07-13-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-13-04, 10:57 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Well.....
Wheel mass/weight will have an effect on your standing acceleration even if you used the same diameter tire. Generally speaking, the larger the wheel/tire combo you go with, unsprung weight at each suspension corner will go up.
Going to a 20" wheel/tire combo is going to slow your vehicles standing start acceleration and fuel consumption ( if a larger tire contact patch is used ).

My ride quality has not suffered too much extent due to the VERY plush ride configuration of the original suspension and 17" oem wheels that came on my car.

But a 20" wheel combo definetly has the bling factor !!

GS4 cars with their V8 low end torque can overcome the acceleration issues without to big of a hit, but GS3 owners will have to fill you in on what issues they normally have with performance degredation.
Old 07-13-04, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you go with larger wheels the car will definitely be slower, specially from dead stop accel. but that's the price you pay for looks

oh and yes the ride would be harsher too.
Old 07-13-04, 11:09 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

from a ride standpoint 20s do not seriously degrade the ride of the GS IMO, when combined with suspension mods, its a different story altogether.

As reggie mentioned its all up to what you want, what you like, and what you are willing to pay for. if you post a couple parameters for us, we'll help you make s decision.

Congrats on getting your dream car, I felt the same way when I got my 1996 GS back in 2001.
Old 07-13-04, 11:50 AM
Joeblack77
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks everyone for the help. If I go with the Dubs (which I think Im gonna do), does anyone have any suggestions on the type of suspension kit and engine and muffler mods that I could use on the GS 300 that would either match or improve my ride? Im still new to the whole modding deal but the more Im reading in the forums the moer ideas Im starting to get.
Old 07-13-04, 12:50 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

the GS on dubs is a very very beautiful thing. when i met my bf he had 18s on his GS3. after we put the 22s on my GX he found a set of 20s that he loves, and i tell you it is amazing how much better it looks on 20s. personally, i prefer the ride of aftermarket wheels. you will have a lot less "body roll" when cornering at higher speeds. the downfall is that you feel more of the bumps and will have to pay much more attention to the roadways to dodge potholes. my bf also has some serious stereo equipment in the trunk which causes the back end to sag a lot, so he also lowered the front of the car using H&R springs (i think he went with 1 1/4"). i can email pics if you're interested. i just don't have them up in the gallery yet. good luck with the car!!
Old 07-13-04, 01:41 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

To regain your "lost" acceleration, the quickest, most cost effective ( if there is such a thing with a Lexus ) means will be with a tc (torque converter) install/upgrade to allow your engine to get further into it's peak torque curve when accelerating from a dead stop. Numerically higher gears will allow the engine to accelerate faster, but at the expense of cruise rpm and ultimate top speed.

Anything that will enhance your low end torque output to the rear wheels is what your shooting for.

imho; go fat with the wheel/tire and compensate with the tc.
Old 07-13-04, 02:52 PM
ddarbs55
Lead Lap

First off, welcome to CL. glad you checked out the Gallery, but the best bang for your
buck is to do a meet and check out the rides first hand. i'm sort of in the same position
you're in and have gone to a couple of meets and seen things in person and it makes
a HUGE difference. ask some folks for a test drive and you'll probably end up making
the right decision. i think someone down in the Maryland picked up DGOT's old dronnell's?
talk about drooling - i've got wheel envy. lol!!
good luck, and now, ON TO THE MODS!
-d.
Old 07-16-04, 04:46 AM
Joeblack77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Im going to go ahead and pick up those Dubs today. I'll post some before and after shots later.