Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire update

Old 06-29-04, 09:04 AM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire update

Gang,

It's time for me to swap out my stock RFTs. The historic posts on this site have been terrific and I've searched through all of them, but what I'd like to ask those who have already made a change is what has their driving experience been now that (many of) you have more than just 1-2000 miles on your new tires? Has initial satisfaction among the many of you who replaced with Eagle F1s or Mich PS (or something else) remained? Anyone do something different knowing what you know now? Anyone feel like keeping RFTs on the car is the best decision?

Thanks in advance for all of your input.
Old 06-29-04, 10:44 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I intend to keep the RFs, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with them. It's all a big compromise, like almost everything in life. The choices are:

1. RFs. Jarring ride, but peace of mind.
2. non-RFs and spare. Better ride but practically no trunk space.
3. non-RF and no spare. Stupid IMHO, even with roadside assistance.

No. 3 is out of the question for me, and between 1 and 2, #1 is less of a problem in my case.

Finally, no matter how much the RF technology advances, flat tires that have to support 4K+ lbs of weight deflated will always be much harder than regular tires no matter what. What can be much improved is suspension compliance when the car is designed with RFs in mind, but the SC was obviously tuned with normal tires in mind, and later on Lexus decided to offer the RF option for extra trunk space. Another factor is wheel weight; the SCs weigh like boulders. RFs need much lighter weight wheels for less unsprung weight (forged aluminum as a minimum).

I have my reservations about Dunlop's durability, which have very little tread depth. Only reason I could switch to non-RF is if longevity is not acceptable. There's another new tire in the market which will debut with the new C6 vette (same size as our SC in front), but don't know if the SC's extra weight will be a problem. For now a hard ride is part of the car's 'character'.
Old 06-29-04, 11:35 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In May I traded-in my 2002 SC430 for a 2004, and I swapped the run-flats that were on the `04 for the Michelin Pilot A/Ss that were on the `02. I also had the dealer swap the spare-kit that was in the `02. By that time the Michelins had about 2K mileage and I've since put another 1400 miles on them. I have an interesting story in this connection - my salesman who took care of this swap for me drove my `04 with the run-flats and then with the Michelins and he was astonished at the difference in the ride and handling aspects of the Michelins. As of today, the Michelins are still giving me excellent performance with no significant deterioration in treadwear. The Michelins also give very good performance in the wet.
Old 06-29-04, 12:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

El Jefe, as I recall, I had approx. 5,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot Sports when I sold my SC430. I was still very satisfied with them, and they still road very smoothly and quietly.
Old 06-29-04, 03:04 PM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. And to whatever moderator moved this thread to the tire forum, I wish you handn't, as I really wanted to hear from SC owners, not get buried with lots of other threads on a vendor-sponsored site.

JC, I agree with you about the physics of RFTs, which is why I am leaning toward replacing them. I'm very willing to run with your option #3, along with an Airman pump, a plug kit, and the number of Lexus roadside assistance. Espeically if I get improved ride and performance in return (and a lower cost to boot). 'Character' seems like a word you're using to describe a fault that you are willing to live with. I'm more inclined to pursue the solutions others on the site have followed.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-04, 01:41 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before We bought our Sc430 we had a 99 C5 Corvette
with run flats. I hit something in the road that caused a flat
It runied the tire bent the rim (because of the stiff sidewall.
that was a lot of money to replace everything.
Our 2002 was pre owned certifed and one of the smart
the previous owner did was put the newest Eagle F-1
tires on it. We have had a lot of rain this june in Texas
and the handling in the rain is the best i have ever experinced
in my 59 years. BTW took out the spare so we can go get
Groceries with the top down. Plenty of room and if we
have a flat I'm calling Lexus.
Here's a link for ya:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes

Enjoy your "new car"

Joe
Old 07-04-04, 12:51 AM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

Anybody have a quote on what the tire kit will cost? I've been givien a quote of $1300. Seems high to me. $1000 for the Michelin Z tires too. I'm thinking of going that route because I think the RFT ride is way to harsh and I will not feel comfortable without a spare using non RFT's. Any other opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-04, 03:33 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Got a question regarding this thread. My dad's got an 02 430 and is needing to change his tires. He is not overly fond of the run flats because of the noise and feel and harshness of the road. He currently has the original Bridgestone Potenza's that he HATES!!!! Obviously he wants something different. What other run flat tires are good, and do not have to much tracking on grooved roads.

Also, for those of you that have gotten rid of the run flats, what have you replaced them with and how do you like them? Is there anything that is needed to change in the car if you go from run flats to regular? I guess pops is looking for something that will make the ride a bit softer (possibly an oxymoron with the SC ) and will give him more then 15k. Please let me know what you think and your experiences with tires. Thanks all
Old 07-11-04, 03:47 PM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

If one wishes there is a tire kit for the trunk you can have installed. I was quoted a price of $2300, that's with 4 tires ($1000). This kit allows for a spare to be held there. Problem is that it decreases the trunk space which is already severely limited. With the kit and the top down, all bags and golf equipment must go in the rear "seat". I'm also in a dilema as to whether or not to install the kit, but I'm leaning that way. The ride with the RFt's is way to hard for me. I have to change to non-RFT's or I'm selling the car. I'm also not sure if the kit will affect the resale value, after all, how many people will be willing to give up already limited trunk space to have non-RFT's? Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-04, 08:20 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply boneweavr, I was actually looking for more specifics as to tires on both RF's as well as regular. I know about the spare situation. I just need to know about actual tires and feedback on them. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-19-04, 10:48 AM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

Default Goodyear Eage F1 GS-D3

So just as soon as I decide that these are the right tires for my new ride, I hear that they are on "national backlog" (whatever that means) with no estimated ship date. Does anyone have any insight into this or have a bead on where I can locate 4 new 245-40/18 tires? I really didn't want to have to buy the Michelin PS2s, but I guess that's my backup choice. Thanks.