Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

65mph-75mph vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 09:39 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 65mph-75mph vibration

I have vibration between 65mph and 75mph... it's almost unoticeable when i'm accelerating, but when i am coasting the vibration is severe.

Vehicle 1992 SC400 with 103k miles

Front - Pirelli P7000 Super Sport 245x40x18 with 10k miles mounted on 18x8.5 Oz saturn plus
Rear - Pirelli P7000 Super Sport with265x35x18 20k miles mounted on 18x10 Oz saturn plus

Since the vibration started I have done the following

New wheel lugs

Hub centering rings mounted (75.1 to 60.1 front metal)
Hub centering rings mounted (67.1 to 60.1 rear plastic)

Tires flipped, remounted, balanced on hunter balancer

Wheel alignment done on Hunter wheel alignment machine

As for suspension parts i have,
Daizen control arm and sway bar bushings front and rear
Daizen Front and rear sway bars
Do luck sub frame chasis brace
YSR interior support bars
TEIN HA coilovers

I don't know what else to try. Please help me get rid of this vibration.
thank you

Last edited by VSsc400; 06-28-04 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What type of Lexus is this? Some older GS'es need to have sway bars and steering gear tightened up....they tend to work loose with age and cause vibration.

Other things....next time the tires are on the balancer, watch them as they spin. If you see any visible hop up-and-down or side-to-side motion, that could be part of the problem. A sophisticated computerized machine can balance an absolutely SQUARE tire...it will tell you exactly where to ut the weights to get a perfect balance, right down to a gnat's ***, but what kind of a ride will you get? The tire may be out of round. If it looks OK on the machine but wobbles on the car, the hubs could be out-of-round. And, when was the last time the balancing machine itself was calibrated?....ask an HONEST shop manager.
If you are dealing with a front-drive ES, not only does the above apply, but you could also have a slightly bent or out-out balance drive shaft.
Old 06-28-04, 11:45 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

What type of Lexus is this?
It's a 1992 SC400 automatic with 103k miles

Some older GS'es need to have sway bars and steering gear tightened up....they tend to work loose with age and cause vibration.
They have been examined and they are tight.

Other things....next time the tires are on the balancer, watch them as they spin. If you see any visible hop up-and-down or side-to-side motion, that could be part of the problem. A sophisticated computerized machine can balance an absolutely SQUARE tire...it will tell you exactly where to put the weights to get a perfect balance, right down to a gnat's ***, but what kind of a ride will you get? The tire may be out of round. If it looks OK on the machine but wobbles on the car, the hubs could be out-of-round.
The tires look good. No visible wobble or anything.

And, when was the last time the balancing machine itself was calibrated?....ask an HONEST shop manager.
The shop manager is a good buddy. I can trust the machine

If you are dealing with a front-drive ES, not only does the above apply, but you could also have a slightly bent or out-out balance drive shaft.

thank you for the adivse. I will get the sway bars and steering gear tightened up.... where is the steering gear?
Old 06-30-04, 01:45 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

tightened.... no play.... still vibration.... HELP!
Old 07-05-04, 01:07 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

got underneath the car and found out one of the exhaust hangers were broken.
That was fixed.
Also a new rear differential was put in.
Sway bars were re-tightened.
All control arm fittings were checked and re-torqued to spec
New front endlinks installed
Car was re-realigned, and all tires and wheels rebalanced.

I still have vibrations from 65-75mph...

could this be tires? It looks like I did everything possible.... any more suggestions?
Old 07-05-04, 06:26 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

when you had bal done on hunter 9700 road force machine , did they check the lateral runout on the rims then check the runout on the tires , any hop in the tire , alot of svc techs who use this machine are lazy , if you are not watching over them , they will bal it as is instead of breaking the assembly down and reindexing the assembly to seat better and get a true bal ,i know i have had that problem but i watch them now and when i see the road force hit over 20lbs i tell them no reindex the assembly for i want the road forcr # under 18lbs esp the fronts

good luck
Old 07-06-04, 06:32 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

re-re-re balanced the wheels... i printed this page and showed it to the guy... he went back and got the managers's manager and the manager and 2 other techs. The proceeded to balance them...... no weights were needed to balance them.... all 4 wheels came back without needing additional weights or changes in placements of them.

I am begining to think that there is something wrong with the tires themselves... I'm swapping out the front rotors with stock non-drilled, non slotted ones to see if that will help...

any suggestions would be most helpful.
Old 07-07-04, 11:12 PM
RUDENESS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats vibrating at 65 or 75? and you might wanna check your tranny mount..... if your steering wheel is shimmying then its definetly a balance problem....
Old 07-08-04, 05:56 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RUDENESS
whats vibrating at 65 or 75? and you might wanna check your tranny mount..... if your steering wheel is shimmying then its definetly a balance problem....
my whole car shakes at any speed between 65 and 75....

I will check out the tranny mount........ Where is the tranny mount located again?
thanks
Old 07-11-04, 04:29 AM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

Go get your tires remounted & rebalanced using a Hunter GSP9700 Balancer.

The GSP9700 will measure runout and tell the Technician where to co-locate tire/wheel angular positions to match-mount the tire/wheel assembly, to minimize total runout, per tire & wheel assembly. (Match-mounting will minimize vibration due to runout.)

Then rebalance.

I too had annoying vibration at 70mph +/-, with no help from repeated rebalancings etc., until I had the tires match-mounted using the GSP9700.

My problem was mostly cured by the GSP9700. (Still have an occasional _very_slight_ amount of vibration at 70, but the tires are not perfectly true, so there will be no way to get it 100% smooth...darn Michelins!)

See

www.gsp9700.com

the above link also has a local Dealer finder.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-04, 12:32 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

the tires were balanced using the hunter GSP9700 balancer. 2 times now.

vibration still there. HELP!
Old 08-17-04, 11:27 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

swapped out Tranny mount

re-tightened all suspension and exhaust components...

still vibrating.... HELP!
Old 03-16-21, 10:27 PM
JoeMonday
Driver School Candidate

Hey Lexus Fanatic, I know how you feel. I just recently purchased an 09 IS250 with only 52K miles. Tires, brakes and all suspension components are as a 52K miles car should look like. I recently noticed a weird vibration (not steering wheels shakes)when I let go of gas pedal completely and without applying brakes either between 65-70mph for just second or two then it goes away. Also sometimes if the road is smooth enough, I can feel it when gently applying gas at around 55mph. The car was on a lift and I saw the tranny mount was in tact without cracks, shaft components, differential is dry, no cracks with any of the bushings, tie rods and everything else looks fine too. The only thing I saw cracked (maybe stressed) but not horribly cracked. I also tried letting go the gas at different speeds but it only vibrates between 65-70 when I let off the gas. Does anyone here have similar experience and got it resolved? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice on what to do. Though the vibration is tolerable at the moment but I’d like to get it fixed and I definitely will update once I get my car fixed.