Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Repolishing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 11:38 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repolishing Wheels

Hey guys,

I just finished getting some Supra TT wheels put on with a polished finish. They were so nice they almost looked chrome. The same day they got put on I went to work at the detail shop I work at where I washed my car. I sprayed the standard wheel cleaner on the wheels forgetting they were alujminum. In short, I burned the hell outta them and now they look all milky and dull. Does anyone know how to polish them back out to the original finish? I think its just the clear coat type finish that I damaged, not the actual metal.

I've tried using metal polishes from Master Formula and Magic Mix, and although they got rid of most of the milkyness, they still remain pretty dull. If anyone can give me some good insight on how to get them back to the original finish it would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys

James
Old 06-21-04, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

if you have clear coat on the wheels, it shoudln't affect the aluminum inside at all, unless the clear coat is damaged. you can treat them as the body of the car, so that means car wash, rubbing compound, body polish, etc...

if it doesn't have clear coat (which i actually think is the case), then you can get something called the blue magic and try to polish the wheels
Old 06-27-04, 03:12 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Any idea where I can get this Blue Magic stuff? I agree that there is no clear coat on the wheels so I think that will be my best bet. Also, the stuff I have is killing my hands. Are there any tools out there to help polish?

James
Old 06-27-04, 05:49 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James, you may have a bigger problem than you realize... If the wheels were clear coated and the chemicals started eating through the clear coat to the metal, you may have to redo the clear coat on the wheels. The reason being that in sunlight you may be able to see blochy (sp?) spots on the wheels. Also, if the wheels are clear coated, you should not be using any chemicals except soap & water to clean your wheels and some wax once a month.

Lets hope there wasn't any clear coat and just start polishing the hell out of the wheels.... Good luck
Old 06-27-04, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally posted by jet864
Any idea where I can get this Blue Magic stuff? I agree that there is no clear coat on the wheels so I think that will be my best bet. Also, the stuff I have is killing my hands. Are there any tools out there to help polish?

James
i agree with what ken said. you should find out if the rims are clear coated or not first. you don't want to jut apply the blue magic stuff on the wheels if it has clear coat
Old 06-28-04, 01:59 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Well I'm convinced they're not clear coated because my dad went to the polishing shop and got what they recommended. Its this white stuff, but they use it with some sort of power buffer, so by hand its going slow. They're just a ratty pair of Supra rims and I wasn't gonna pay for clear coat and I know it wasn't listed on the bill. Maybe I should have mentioned this stuff before, huh? Thanks for the help though. Keep it comin!

James