Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

How about these rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 03:55 PM
GS1day
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about these rims?

I'm thinking about these rims for my 98 GS400. They are 18"x 8.5" and have a +30 offset.

How do you think they will look?

Does anyone recommend running with a 'fat' setup and oversized tire so that I don't lose so much of the comfort in the ride?

If I do this with the 18's and a 'fat' set-up, that will raize my car's ride height, correct? Must I compensate for this by lowering the car, or can I leave it, because its less than an inch...

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.....I'm a definite novice when it comes to car wheel knowledge, and after reading rominl's helpful explaination, I don't know if his recommended +38 offset for an 18x8.5 rim means that this rim wouldn't fit right with its +30 offset?

Someone please set me straight

thanks

Freddy
Attached Thumbnails How about these rims?-cragar_tease.jpg  
Old 06-11-04, 04:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that offset might cause rubbing in the front

with fat setup, the overall diameter of the wheel is 1" more, the car is effective 1/2" higher than before. so it's your call on lowering
Old 06-11-04, 05:01 PM
LexFather

Default Re: How about these rims?

Originally posted by GS1day
I'm thinking about these rims for my 98 GS400. They are 18"x 8.5" and have a +30 offset.

How do you think they will look?

Does anyone recommend running with a 'fat' setup and oversized tire so that I don't lose so much of the comfort in the ride?

If I do this with the 18's and a 'fat' set-up, that will raize my car's ride height, correct? Must I compensate for this by lowering the car, or can I leave it, because its less than an inch...

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.....I'm a definite novice when it comes to car wheel knowledge, and after reading rominl's helpful explaination, I don't know if his recommended +38 offset for an 18x8.5 rim means that this rim wouldn't fit right with its +30 offset?

Someone please set me straight

thanks

Freddy
First off, don't get those wheels. We can go from there.
Did u check the gallery for ideas? Do u like spokes, lips, chrome, polished etc. Do u want the same size around or staggered?

Last edited by LexFather; 06-11-04 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 05:35 PM
GS1day
Driver

Default TOO GETTO?

Thats what my good buddy said

1sicklex, I sensed you were holding back a little

Thanks-

Rominl, great, to the point, useful information. I've read a lot of your posts-

I'm starting to lean towards 17's and no suspension mods, so I don't sacrifice any ride quality. I go home to New Orleans all the time from Austin, and New Orleans has a moon crater waiting around every corner ready to make pacman out of your rims.

I have looked at a lot of pics in the gallery, and must say, that there are some impressive looking rides out there. I want a 5 or 6 star pattern that is either brushed silver or gunmetal, with a nice chrome lip all the way around.

Those Gettins are SWEET, but I can't afford them. I have an $1800 budget for rims and tires.

Any recommendations? Worst case, I'd like to at least step up to the 17"stock chrome 5 stars that were optional.......I have the 16's on it now....

BTW - These cars ROCK!! I am in love......If it had a ____, then I'd ______ it!!!!!!

thanks for your quick feedback, and 1sicklex, without being tooooo brutal, why don't you like them, and do you like these?

FC
Attached Thumbnails How about these rims?-cragarboost.jpg  
Old 06-11-04, 09:21 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Those wheels belong on a truck or chevy, not a lexus!! I'm not going to say that they are ghetto, but I feel that they wouldn't look good on your car..There are other wheels out there that look better than these..Have you checked the wheel classified forums???
Old 06-11-04, 09:23 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If u want my opinion I think they belong on a SUV New Orleans HUH? Me too. Going to Metro Saterday? Ill be there
Old 06-12-04, 12:13 AM
LexFather

Default Re: TOO GETTO?

Originally posted by GS1day
Thats what my good buddy said

1sicklex, I sensed you were holding back a little

Thanks-

Rominl, great, to the point, useful information. I've read a lot of your posts-

I'm starting to lean towards 17's and no suspension mods, so I don't sacrifice any ride quality. I go home to New Orleans all the time from Austin, and New Orleans has a moon crater waiting around every corner ready to make pacman out of your rims.

I have looked at a lot of pics in the gallery, and must say, that there are some impressive looking rides out there. I want a 5 or 6 star pattern that is either brushed silver or gunmetal, with a nice chrome lip all the way around.

Those Gettins are SWEET, but I can't afford them. I have an $1800 budget for rims and tires.

Any recommendations? Worst case, I'd like to at least step up to the 17"stock chrome 5 stars that were optional.......I have the 16's on it now....

BTW - These cars ROCK!! I am in love......If it had a ____, then I'd ______ it!!!!!!

thanks for your quick feedback, and 1sicklex, without being tooooo brutal, why don't you like them, and do you like these?

FC
AS stated by others they look truckish and chunky. Think of the GS as a fine Italian made Suit and your rims are the shoes. You don't want shoes to take away from the suit.

Concerning the ride, IMO, there was no difference in ride quality between 17s and 18s. Sway bars and suspension braces hurt the ride as the car is stiffer.
have looked at a lot of pics in the gallery, and must say, that there are some impressive looking rides out there. I want a 5 or 6 star pattern that is either brushed silver or gunmetal, with a nice chrome lip all the way around.
Okay, we have a good start. 5 or 6 spokes, we have a color and u want lips. For the price, we have a couple options to look at. Racing Harts or Axis for example. Or check a great deal in our classifieds.

If we can stretch ya to about 2Gs, you should be able to find a good set of wheels/tires.
Old 06-13-04, 10:58 AM
GS1day
Driver

OK. I can stretch it to $2000, maybe a couple bucks more. I don't want to do any suspension work, so I'm having a hard time deciding on what size rims. Should I get 17's or 18's? I am afraid that if I get 18's, that the tire will be so short, that I will have a harsh ride and bend a rim easily on a pothole.

I like the basic, clean look of this ata rim, but not knowing much about rims, I have a feeling that they are 'knock-offs' and not recommended. What does anyone say bout this rim? I can't tell from the pic, but does it have a polished lip? If it IS a knock-off, then who makes the original?

This look is what I'm leaning towards.....a basic 5 or six star that bends back to connect o the rim so it leaves a good lip.

BTW - I checked out the Axis and Racing Harts. They are nice, but mostly thin centers. I am not going to mod my brakes, so that open look to the wheel will detract on my car, since I have nothing to show off behind the wheel....follow? I would prefer more filling (thick 5 or 6 star) in the middle, to cover more of my stock brakes......

FC
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-04, 11:45 AM
GS1day
Driver

Default What about these?

I think these are pretty cool. Do these fall into the truck category?

I do like the smothness to this rim. Is this a knockoff too?

FC
Attached Thumbnails How about these rims?-niche_britaine1.jpg  
Old 06-13-04, 12:06 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^
Yep that goes into the truck category
Old 06-13-04, 01:56 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure if you mentioned what your time frame is, but if you're not in a hurry, just wait and check the classifieds. For the price range you're looking at, you can find a nice quality set of JDM wheels in 18s.
My 2 cents.