Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

"H" versus "V" rated tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 08:11 PM
viskha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "H" versus "V" rated tires

My CPO '01 LS430 came with new Michelins that are "H" rated. Earlier when I changed tires on a LS400 and on my Acura RL, I was told by most tire shops (including Sams) that they would not put anything on the cars that were less than "V" rated as that is what is recommended and required by the manufacturer.

The Lexus dealer tells my that "H" rated is what came with the original '01 LS430s and that is what they have to put to certify the cars.

Who is right?
Old 06-07-04, 08:38 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: "H" versus "V" rated tires

Originally posted by viskha
My CPO '01 LS430 came with new Michelins that are "H" rated. Earlier when I changed tires on a LS400 and on my Acura RL, I was told by most tire shops (including Sams) that they would not put anything on the cars that were less than "V" rated as that is what is recommended and required by the manufacturer.

The Lexus dealer tells my that "H" rated is what came with the original '01 LS430s and that is what they have to put to certify the cars.

Who is right?
it's the speed rating, there are slight differences in construction.
Old 06-07-04, 09:16 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.tirerack.com should have a good explanation on the speed ratings
Old 06-08-04, 12:51 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

The sidewalls are slightly stiffer & more re-enforced on the V rated tires over the H rated......tirerack does indeed explain the speed ratings well. bottom line, it's fine to go from ah H rated to a V rated tire but not wise to do it the other way around. Chances are nothing will happen, it's just not a recommended way to go.
Old 06-08-04, 08:00 AM
GMILLER
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I am a Lexus parts manager and I'm proud of it!!!

With all due respect to those that say the LS430 doesn't come from the factory with H rated tires, thats just the voice from someone thats ill informed. In fact, until the 04 model, there was, to my knowledge, NO V-rated tires shipped on LS430's from the factory. My info, supplied by Lexus, says there were six different H-rated tires and a W-rated. Please note there was also 17" H-rated tires supplied new from the factory.

Another source, The "dealer tire tire guide" , also confirms this. Dealer tire is the Lexus chosen source for its Lexus Dealers.

There has to be an owner or two of LS430's that saved the sticker from their car. Pull that out and it should spell it out and confirm what I have said.

I regret that a customer of ours was misled by this thread. I just wanted to set the record straight so others won't be misled in a similar manner.

Thanks,
Greg Miller
Parts Manager
Lexus of Madison
Madison, WI
Old 06-08-04, 08:04 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speed Ratings

Check out this thread for a list of some good articles inluding one on speed ratings...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=116978

Your car could have come with Dunlop 5000 "H" rated so H is fine to put on the car. The Lexus Dealership is correct.
Old 06-08-04, 11:09 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Bottom line, make sure to check the sticker on the vehicle as it tells you what size & speed rating that is recommended for your car. It's intresting owever, my 01 ES 300 came factory with V speed rated tires (205 60 16) & I'm suprised the LS only came with H rated considering the power that car has. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-04, 06:06 PM
viskha
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
Bottom line, make sure to check the sticker on the vehicle as it tells you what size & speed rating that is recommended for your car. It's intresting owever, my 01 ES 300 came factory with V speed rated tires (205 60 16) & I'm suprised the LS only came with H rated considering the power that car has. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks - the sticker does show "H" rated tires. This settles the matter (in addition to the reliable response from the dealer and Brandon).

Yes, it is surprising that the ES came with "V" rated tires while the LS came with "H" rated tires.

Thanks all for some good responses.